• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What things do you regret doing to your car?

JohnS

Taking off the 38/38 carb way back when to put DCOE's on....after that the car was on and off the road for many years, never driven quite like when I first got it. Now that I have it on 318i manifold and Megasquirt.....I think I have it back to that point where I can start it up and drive it and not worry too much....nor have little niggles that I need to go after and have it end up down for years at a time!

I bought my Cortina project car as a distraction from doing stuff to the 02 car.....as idle hands seemed to have me finding something else to do on the 02, which resulted in me not driving it!

-Bryan

red73

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

http://mk1cortinasearch.blogspot.com/

On my first 02, a 73 I owned from 1983-1990 I stumbled across a 320i parts car (not an s) and swapped over the mirrors and seats (front and rear,) I also replaced the Solex carb with a Weber, removing the stock air filter etc. No big deal there, except I let my parents throw all the original parts out when they moved...should have snagged that stuff, now on the look out for stock air filter etc. to put my current 73 to a more stock look. Oh well, live and learn.

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride

cutting apart my 1967 Olds 442 convertible 4 speed and taking it to the landfill years ago. Saw one on Barrett Jackson. Ouch. That's why my 2002 still sits in my driveway 9 years later only having been driven 4 blocks in that time. Patiently waiting it's turn...

Wow this is a sad one :(

changes to an original, unmolested car that can't be undone by bolting the original bits (which I kept) back on.

Do kinda regret selling the '70 sunroof (daily driver project) in favor of keeping and upgrading the E21. The '70 still needed quite a bit of work to complete & the E21 has been a generally comfortable, reliable driver for the 60 miles per day commute, but I fret for weeks before it comes up for the pre-registration smog check every other year (cost me just under $300 for a new CA legal cat this year)...........

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

As has been said, Not keeping things original.

When I got my first 02, it was in perfect original condition, colorado paint, all the trim was there and perfect. All I had to do was replace the timing chain and fix the motor. It would have been good to go.

Instead, I turned it into a flared monster.

At least it's still on the road and being enjoyed. If I had to do it all over again I would have done the same things, just on a rattier example of an 02.

t_red2002_111.jpg

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I regret being lazy one night and not going into the house to get the rubber mallet.. instead I used a regular hammer to "tap" a piece of door trim on with a padded block.

All went well until the last strike where the hammer head grazed off the block, hit the door, bounced off, hit the door again and left 2 large chunks out of my new paint job.

Still want to weep when I think about it...

Randy

• Like 1

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

Let my mint 66 Corvair be ravaged by UV over a summer while I was busy doing other things Came back to burnt laquer and toasted seats. . Still have the car (30 years later), but it needs a complete cosmetic rehaul.

Threw out the rear bumper on my 1971 240-Z to make it "Cool".

So far I have just polished and planned what to do with the 2002.

Bob S.

I ripped out the AC console a week after I bought my 2002. I worked great and blew cold! WTF was I thinking.......

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

1) Selling the '72 CA w/sunroof because I needed some cash for the 928s.

(Stupid Bahnstormer..long gone but fun while I had it)

2) Buying this '76 CA w/sunroof for my son because he loves it and I won't get to use it much now that it's all together.