• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3rd brake light...again

Jack

That looks nice buckeye.

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

This is also Hella, but a generation older. It has a bulb, no LED, and has three 'perches' on the back at three angles to mount to the sheet metal, under the rear bumper I suppose.

Old School, low tech, but still effective.

post-40238-0-24405700-1369425476_thumb.j

post-40238-0-62052400-1369425496_thumb.j

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Tail Light upgrades keep them off your tail, out of your trunk;
Headlight film keeps your 'eyes' from being scratched out or broken.

I've done what Roadhog has done, but not nearly as wide of an LED strip.   Commonly found on ebay, search "adhesive backed LED light strip" or the like.  They even have ones that shine the light off at an angle.  A good buying tip:  most will have teeny tiny wires. Look for the ones that have like 22 gauge wires.  They are much easy to solder onto another longer 22 gauge wire that you can run to your brake lights.  

I also repainted the light housings with chrome paint.  Made a difference, but the LED lights made a huge difference. People who check it out seem to be very pleased at the light output and that the stock look (from behind) was not compromised

I posted on this a few years back but it seems still to be a hot topic.

A 3rd brake light just didn't seem conspicuous enough.  Drivers are more engaged with a high tail, stop , and turn signal than just a brake-only lamp.

I've installed two "Command Electronics" clear Stop/Tail/Turn lamps just under the headliner on left and right sides. These are freaking lasers.

They are installed off the rear light circuit using a "trailer" module that controls the lights.

I have a switch that engages these (which I always keep on) and the units are removable for purists.  Pics provided if requested.

http://www.commandel...ail-lights.html

HOTLINE CLEAR FOR STOP TAIL TURN.pdf

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

I posted on this a few years back but it seems still to be a hot topic.

A 3rd brake light just didn't seem conspicuous enough.  Drivers are more engaged with a high tail, stop , and turn signal than just a brake-only lamp.

I've installed two "Command Electronics" clear Stop/Tail/Turn lamps just under the headliner on left and right sides. These are freaking lasers.

They are installed off the rear light circuit using a "trailer" module that controls the lights.

I have a switch that engages these (which I always keep on) and the units are removable for purists.  Pics provided if requested.

http://www.commandel...ail-lights.html

I would like to see the installed pics if possible.

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

These are two Command Electronics high brightness DOT units- Clear plastic, but red LEDs. One mounterd on each side just under rear headliner using common steel two-hole angle straps bent 66 degrees.

A trailer module controls these two wire units for compatibility. Shown is the "tail light" display.  Turn signals light all LEDS on either Left or Right side and are very noticable. 

Stop inidcation lights all LEDS on both sides and is very bright during bright daylight and a little overwhelming at night.  The first time I tested these inside the house it really stunned my vision for a few moments:  these are seriously bright.

Installation was very simple and took about 3 hours to wire in the module and the two units; mounting took about an hour and was straight forward.  The feed wire just clips to the DS headliner down to the controls so I can remove both the units and the wiring if necessary.

I use one or two of these in all our restorations and have been very happy with the respone on the road. 

I will update post with turns and brake pics day/nite shots when I can get them.

ONE TAP ON THE BRAKE OR 4 WAYS AND CLOSELY FOLLOWING DRIVERS BACK RIGHT OFF!

post-36360-0-21871600-1369676222_thumb.j

post-36360-0-39320900-1369676236_thumb.j

post-36360-0-13719900-1369676253_thumb.j

post-36360-0-52885200-1369676266_thumb.j

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

Couple people have already posted what I was thinking of doing when the time came.

Im sure most have seen the new A8s running around that have the 3rd light at the top of the window:

5786192479_bb16f3d5e1_z.jpg

Im sure the engineers did this for the same reason others have stated, new cars are so high they are often missed over the hood.

I was thinking of doing similar to what was posted before, but adding the ability to flash one side or the other with the turn signals.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading numerous posts about safety issues regarding the small ‘roundie’ brake lights on my ’72 ’02, and heeding your wise recommendations for a third brake light, I found one on ebay (Item# 200859821515  UNIVERSAL LEFT/RIGHT TURN SIGNAL TAIL LAMP 18 RED LED 3RD BRAKE LIGHT SUV TRUCK) for $27.99 including shipping.  The title alone was the longest one I’d ever seen on ‘the bay!  I thought the price was reasonable, and the seller had good feedback from people who had purchased identical units from him, so I ordered me one.  Fast shipping from CA to NY; it arrived in just a few days, and I must admit, it looks pretty good.  Only problem I had was trying to decipher the “INSTALLATION” sheet to figure out which-wires-were-which.  After a few minutes, I determined which two wires were exclusively for the brake lights.  The LEDs are BRIGHT RED, that’s for sure!  Unfortunately, ‘Schatzi’ is in the shop, so I can’t install it just yet.  Looking at some of thie pics you all hav esubmitted, I figure I'll mount it high in the rear windshield for maximum visibility.

For your entertainment, I’ve attached a copy of the instruction sheet.  Please read it very carefully, especially the part about “18pcs of maneating fish” and “add driving funs”.  

I’ve used Google Translate on numerous occasions, going from “BMW German” to English (in fact, I’m in the process of using Google to translate an original BMW Solex 32/32 DIDTA Manual into English, which I’ll post here once I’m done) and have had some very interesting things come up.  But THIS one is surely destined to be a classic.  I assume something was ‘very lost in translation’.

Enjoy!

-Bob

Third Braking Light.pdf

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...

Just bought this old (but in fine shape) Bosch brake light off of a 1952 Mercedes. Going on this weekend.

post-41346-0-14046900-1370466973_thumb.j

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

I used the Hella Model 38. It matches the angle of a 2002 rear window very well. And, the lense is adjustable, and I have mine aimed up just a bit so it's right in the eyes of a following driver in an SUV.

I bought Hella part no. 5238 per recommendation from D. Stern and received it today. Will install it this weekend.

Thanks.post-43112-0-38970300-1370483968_thumb.j

Edited by Buckeye

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

I bought Hella part no. 5238 per recommendation from D. Stern and received it today. Will install it this weekend.

Thanks.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Make sure you have it where you want it when you stick it to the glass!  I think it's permanent . . .

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

Thanks.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

that is the one most of us have.  install is simple. peel and stick to rear window.  run the wires to left side of car and tap into brake light circuit in trunk.

installation details 3/4 of way down page 17 of my blog 

here

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/103584-mlytles-m2-madness/page-17

Edited by mlytle

2xM3