• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3rd brake light...again

Jack

EDIT: Jeez, I didnt know how old this thread was :P

I dont like all the small, low, dinky lights out there for 3rd brake lights. I wanted something I could see in my pickup if I was to follow my 02. So here is my solution, a high mounted LED strip that's bright enough to catch peoples attention but not so bright that it's annoying.

101_9707.JPG

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

The fact is that we are all getting used to the third brake light. I was following a car that the third light was out and it caught me off guard. I didn't hit the car but it was a moment of panic. I have one of those Hella's that Danial Stern sells for the 02 but of course as of yet, it's untested.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Guest Anonymous

Heres what I got, I switched my rear running lights with my brake light in the housing, this way I am runnin the lower red strip as my running lights, with the bigger brighter bulbs as they havent melted the lenses yet being mounted slighly further away, and running the bigger bulbs in the upper strip as brakes lights are never on long enough to melt the lens. the brake lights sit a bit higher visably. Resilvered the housing and am glowin like Rudolf in the rear end, have a third brake light ready to install but have a Q, has anyone heard of the red LED strip that could fit in the rear window moulding strip as a brake light? I bet something out there could fit and this would be a clean install, always searchin

Dave Miller

DBMW2002

76 o2 Golf Screamin yellow zonker

97 328is For when u absolutley positively have to get their fast

Little more info on my setup.

I'm running a light strip from ebay that is 90cm long. I'm pretty sure this is the exact one I have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90cm-Car-Truck-SMD-Led-Strip-Light-45Leds-12V-Bright-Red-L13-/170897177874?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27ca43fd12&vxp=mtr

It's held up with inch strips of what I call tar tape which is this foam like tape that's black and has the consistency and stickiness of tar, stuff's amazing. Not a clue what it's really called but wish I did.

I ran the wired down the driver side window gasket and into the trunk and soldered the leads to the driver side brake light leads so it would come on whenever the brake lights come on.

Here's a couple more pics. It's all but invisible from the outside.

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Thanks to Nathans pics and a couple emails I decided to do the same install but using a led strip from superbright leds http://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/WFLS-R60-WHT/

Used them because they are local to me. When walking around the car they are nearly invisible but let me tell you when using the brakes wow do you get a lot of light......best bang for the buck. Thanks again Nathan. Will try to get some pics this weekend.

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

I am definitely interested in getting a 3rd brake light, and I have to say I am more of a fan of the parcel tray location than anywhere else.

That being said, I did just paint the insides of my tail light assemblies with a chrome mirror spray paint. They are much brighter than they were (one side was completely black!). Next time I head to Pick N' Pull, I'll be hunting down a nice 3rd brake light to complete the "be seen be safe" mentality.

Daily '74 BMW 2002 w/ Dual 40's

Signature

Visit my Wheelwell to see what I've done to the car

• 5 months later...

Hi there

Below is my version of the "3rd brake light".  I used a 20" LED strip from Superbright and attached it to an aluminum mount a fab'd up.  I mounted it to the parcel shelf and wired it directly to the rear wiring harness.  I think it will get the proper attention.  Pictures below.

Regards

post-38979-0-79747500-1369103410_thumb.j

post-38979-0-29481400-1369103434_thumb.j

post-38979-0-64523900-1369103454_thumb.j

Edited by Bill Patterson

'73 Bavaria, '80 Land Rover Series 2a, '71 2002, '69 2002, '74 3.0s

Glad to see so many folks putting more light on the back of their beloved bimmers!  I found an old Hella auxiliary rear fog lamp, standard bulb setup, in the ads in the back of the Roundel.  $5 plus shipping.  It was new in box, with original installation instructions!

Was to be mounted under the back bumper, but I wired it with brake lights (I had two on each side) and put it on top of the trunk lid with a strip of hook&loop.  It was nice and bright, and had a shiny silver reflector inside, just like E24 sixer Euro lights have for their rear fog.  Same company, so I'm not surprised.  After installing this it was no more rear enders!

Point is, more brake and tail light output are very necessary on a 2002, round or square.  I am happy to help anyone with this project, I have done several already, and willing to keep doing them as long as you want to keep the idiots out of your trunk!

Look up my post in Parts For Sale, under High Performance Lights.

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Tail Light upgrades keep them off your tail, out of your trunk;
Headlight film keeps your 'eyes' from being scratched out or broken.

I have the Hella third brake light, bought it from Daniel Stern.  It's quite bright.  And new tail light assemblies and lenses.

001_zpsa83454de.jpg

002_zpsd1b9185e.jpg

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

This is near the top of my summer to-do list.  I'm planning on going with Daniel Stern's Hella light, but I'm going to install it at the top of the window.  The '02 has a very low trunk line compared to modern sedans that have a high trunk line in combination with a vertically narrow greenhouse. 

I have the Hella third brake light, bought it from Daniel Stern.  It's quite bright.  And new tail light assemblies and lenses.

001_zpsa83454de.jpg

002_zpsd1b9185e.jpg

I was wondering if you could tell us is that model 37, 38 or 39 that installed on your car?

Thanks.

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

I used the Hella Model 38.  It matches the angle of a 2002 rear window very well.  And, the lense is adjustable, and I have mine aimed up just a bit so it's right in the eyes of a following driver in an SUV.

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold