• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colorado tii - Is it just a pipedream?

I would beware of all the black undercoating with out seeing before pictures,  you can cover a lot of sin's under it.

• Like 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

17 minutes ago, bergie33 said:

No, 1974 tii's start with 278.

Oh didn’t pay attention to the third digit. Ooops. Just looked at the first two starting with 27 for all year tii 

Posted (edited)

You will only find a Colorado tii for 72 models. 73 was Inka if you are looking for an orange shade (ticket magnet). I'm 6'3 and I was always hitting my head on the roof in former sunroof tii. My current tii is a non sunroof model and I have plenty of headroom. Don't discount a square tail light tii. They look so much better after a diving board to Euro bumper conversion. My tii after the bumper conversion and side marker light/reflector delete.  It's a Euro spec clone. 

FB_IMG_1688857440627.jpg

Edited by Gordon
  • Like 3

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

I would not get hooked up on a color, option or model the condition is, after 50 years, the most important thing.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

34 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

I would not get hooked up on a color, option or model the condition is, after 50 years, the most important thing.

+1 on this comment. When it comes to a 2002, always look for the best body you can find.  Mechanical work is child's play compared to rust repair and body restoration.  

• Like 4

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Colorado 72 Tii is definately a real thing as we have one !   When we first received we were not sure was possible as Colorado was officially a color only up to 71 ?   But  most 72 models produced in 71 calendar year and 72 first year of Tii ?

Anyway, sent VIN off to BMW and they confirmed.   I figure BMW had a few extra gallons of Colorado paint left over and decided to do a few ... even though officially I think 72 they have moved to Inka Orange ?    Hard to know for sure what was in BMW's mind but manufacturers try not to waste materials ?

I PM you more info !   

here are couple of pics 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Colorado was most definitely not an unusual color in ‘72, or on 2002tiis, even with sunroofs. Don’t fall head over heels for the first one you see. Please follow Andrew’s advice to research on a particular seller and their associated business! Caveat emptor…

My parents bought their Colorado orange ‘72 tii new in Feb ‘72 and joined the BMWCCA in early ‘75; I’ve been around and involved with these cars my entire life. You’ll find your dream Colorado 2002tii with sunroof, just maybe not today.

Edited by tjones02
  • Like 2

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

29 minutes ago, tjones02 said:

Don’t fell head over heels for the first one you see.

And maybe go look at a couple that don't meet your specs so that you know what to look for and have something to compare to.

From what I've seen Tiis that are largely stock are pricier. If you're not worried about investment, finding one that's been modded a bit might get you in for less.

5 speed upgrades are great and don't seem to impact value. Some bolt on mods don't seem to hurt. I'm not in it for resale, just sharing what I have learned.

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

3 hours ago, JQ02 said:

From what I've seen Tiis that are largely stock are pricier. 

This primarily applies to roundies. A US spec square tail light tii is a blank canvas for a restomod. AMHIK!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

On 5/16/2024 at 3:27 PM, Adrian said:

How did you confirm the VIN? This would be useful when verifying future tii listings. I tried to do a search but just found the registry, which is really great to have here, but didn't give any more info than I had. 

US 2002tii VINs 101:

1972:  2760001-2762629

1973:  2762630-2764521

1974:  2780001-2782928

Euro and rest of world tii's have different VIN series, but they're pretty uncommon in the US...

US spec non-tii cars begin with the following 3 digit prefixes:  166/7; 257/8/9; 422/23; 236/7; 274 (stick shift) and 253, 428, 238 and 239 (automatics).  All other prefixes are for Euro/rest of world cars.

And as an aside on colors, BMW did "use up" not only parts but paint.  Nevada isn't listed as a 1972 color, but there was a very nice, original Nevada 72 tii on display at the BMW Zentrum in Spartanburg several years ago.  And while 68 and 69 US spec 2002s only came in 5 colors (per Hoffman's own sales literature), more than a few US spec 02s from those two years have been reported in non-listed US colors.  Thus one can't always rely on "official" information from the factory.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite