• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I buy or Should I run?

It seems the vast majority if not the full majority suggest I move on unless a deal can be struck in the 5-7K and a strong stomach on my part to get busy with repairs and lots of TLC. And I agree with you.

Someone had asked why a tii and the answer is the love for the mechanical injection and history of the model. I already own a 73 Golf 2002 and a 69 Chamonix 1600 in various stages of restoration but a tii was always the holy grail. And the ultimate goal, at least the way it ends up working out for me, is to restore it and enjoy driving it until I can and then when I can't someone else can worry about the trouble of selling it and making or not making money on it. I also feel a connection to the car is necessary for me for this feeling to materialize and typically this comes through doing some restoration work on it. Buying a fully restored car doesn't guarantee the same kind of connection to a vehicle for me. 

Having said all this it seems perhaps in equal parts the seller for this one might be a bit too irrational and the project too big for my undertaking for a deal to materialize. 

Thank you for taking the time and effort to drop a word of wisdom 

• Like 5

He looks to be a hoarder of sorts

Me too.

I'm now going to go on just a bit of a tangent about 'special cars'-

yup, it's a rant-

The tii is a BMW 2002 with a rather interesting fuel delivery system.  And slightly bigger brakes.

It's not a Ferrari Dino, it's not even a Citroen SM.  It's certainly not the gap between a 912 and a 911.

The best feature of a tii is the front struts, which have big bearings and can take big brakes

for the cost of a junkyard trip.  Yes, the several motor improvements are nice, but there are other ways

to get there and beyond.

So yes, a few thousand extra for a tii makes good sense.  IF you're comparing like cars.

If you're into 'intangeables' then that's your thing-

I'd much rather be a hoarder than be an emperor with a wardrobe full of new clothes-

but if you're into cars for what they do, then the tii is a nice bump if you want a stock car.

If you DON'T want a stock car, though, the tii's a dead end.  So far as I know, no'one's offering 

cone tuning services, and that really limits what can be done with the thing.  Which is kinda too bad,

as a bit more cam really helps the M10.  And it can take a bit more compression, too, especially with

a fuel injection system that's more capable.

Oh, yeah, the fuel injection- it's a bit of a disaster.  There is some amazing precision in there-

and then there's that folded sheet of plate.  And no easy way to adjust it.  It's like KF went

3/4 of the way, and then discovered that the budget was spent.  Or BMW said 'we want a cheaper one'

and KF complied.

Yes, I'd love a nice stock tii, but I'd never use it.  And, see above, I already have lots of things

that I don't use often enough.  Now, a scruffy 2002 with sidedrafts and tubs in back?

That, I'd use a lot.

t

and about the ZHP E46...

• Like 6

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

18 hours ago, E21kc said:

It’s like that sexy crazy chic at the bar- you know you might be getting into trouble but you know it will be fun at the same time. 

Yeah, and both of them may cost you $$$. I'd choose the sexy and run. Will be cheaper.

henn

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

So far as I know, no'one's offering 

cone tuning services, and that really limits what can be done with the thing. 

Last I heard, Ray Korman (Greensboro NC) had an old-line K-fish wizard who could do just that--tweak those cones to play nicely with a hotter cam, higher compression etc.  Dunno if he's still there, but I heard he was, or he taught someone else the secrets...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

12 hours ago, Mike Self said:

hassle of getting a key (look for the key number sticker on the back of the ignition switch, you may get lucky)

Show the owner the thread on the 500 buck key blanks when or if you get into negotiations.

• Haha 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

5 hours ago, conkitchen said:

are we at kicking a dead horse's tires yet? 

Careful, or I'll go on a Select Classics rant next!

t

you've been warned...

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

21 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Careful, or I'll go on a Select Classics rant next!

t

you've been warned...

I don't think you misspelled Oldenzaal but you could have!

:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Is it this car, it's as fine a Tii that has EVER been!

BRINGATRAILER.COM

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1974 BMW 2002tii at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #138,993.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Recent sales on bring a trailer, including the car above will support you in showing the owner that the value is more in the five to $7000 range… 5 to 7

to me 72/73 Tii is the way to go…. Best of luck 

• Like 2

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

46 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Is it this car, it's as fine a Tii that has EVER been!

BRINGATRAILER.COM

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1974 BMW 2002tii at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #138,993.

OINK!

:D

• Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Freude am Fahren I'm a bit late to the party though agree that the tii seller is slightly delusional with his asking price and feel that in the as is, not running state, that car may be worth somewhere in the $6-8K range. And, after reading all of the comments I thought I'd offer some additional thoughts. Firstly, the collective experience, knowledge, and expertise on this board is awe-inspiring. Secondly, it's become quite rare that a scenario like yours hasn't previously been discussed because many of us have faced similar scenarios.  And perhaps made less than thoughtful decisions. And, as a result, found our wallets a bit lighter, our knuckles a bit bloodier, and our ability to swear even more impressive. Personally, the therapeutic value I've gained from owning and wrenching with my cars is priceless and even when I know I've made mistakes, it's comforting to know that the FAQ will be there for me with more knowledge than the original '02 designers and engineers, more transparency than the clearest pane of glass, and more comedic relief than Shane Gillis, Dave Chapelle, and Sam Morril combined! Good luck with your decision! 

• Like 4

'72 Malaga 23Mar1972

'72 Malaga 11Jul1972
'09 Impreza
'11 Specialized hybrid