• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I buy or Should I run?

Serious question (and I know one’s a square and one’s a round tail light)- the tii the OP referenced and this 74 in the classified section 

what are they worth? What is a real asking or selling price on them? Not a BAT bid-a-thon. If one of us actually came across one in the wild just wondering what real world pricing is on them? It seems tii prices have cooled down some lately  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freude am Fahren said:

Am I looking for trouble or could this be of interest?

Yes, to both questions.

Looks fairly intact  and AC equipped so thats good  but 20K should at least buy you a running Tii.

Hate the paint, black bumpers, trim, he should knock off at least 5 K for that mess alone. Make it 7K.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 3

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

23 minutes ago, E21kc said:

what are they worth? What is a real asking or selling price on them? Not a BAT bid-a-thon. If one of us actually came across one in the wild just wondering what real world pricing is on them? It seems tii prices have cooled down some lately  

With too many speculator buyers side hustling the scene, values fluctuate almost weekly. However, those who know what a proper car looks like will know to spend the money. Cars are not like real estate comps. Condition determines EVERYTHING. 

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 2

But what do I know

Second the run...far. That's a 6-8K hulk imho. Just for shits and giggles, offer 6k... you might hit him on a weak day. And then? You'll be over your head but enjoying it!

• Like 2

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Posted (edited)

I've been chatting and learning more about the car. The claim is the car was running and driving well before he lost the key, left it where it was parked and forgot about it. So the car currently has no key. I told him at minimum he needs to either find the key or get the key from the dealer. He has sent me a couple of tii that are for sale for 30 or 40K and thinks his could be made to be worth as much with a little bit of TLC but i told him he's smoking some tall trees to believe that. He said come take it for 15K as is. 

It suggests to me like wants to sell his car and knows that in its glory days it was worth a lot but is slowly coming to terms with the fact that it's not a 20K car

Edited by Freude am Fahren

1 hour ago, Freude am Fahren said:

So the car currently has no key.

So you cant even roll it around/ steer it without expending some amount of effort, thats assuming the tires would hold air..

Thats another thousand off the price 😉 at least.

Wonder what other "oh by the way" bombs he has to drop.

Looks like someone has been messing with the ignition lock, tumbler is not there. Maybe you can steer it around then but who knows what horrors await you there..Ka ching!

Big ol  speaker holes in the door cards...Ka Ching!

Its sitting too high in the front..like its on blocks or something.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Another question to ask yourself is, why do you want a tii?  That 20K will buy you a lot in terms of an ordinary 02 that's been worked over a bit.  A damn nice one at that.  Unless you're a purist and have to have that cool mechanical injection system which is difficult to modify and keep in good operating condition, then go for it.   

I've sunk way more then anyone should on 02's so I might be off the deep end with what I did with my cars and done what makes no financial sense.  They're not even tii's.  I have fun doing it and I like doing things as perfect and special as I can make them.  That costs big money.  Most people get weak in the knees when they ask me what it costs but if your a real car guy and love the results, you'll do it. You won't find many cars out there that are done to a high standard that come cheap, and as someone else pointed out, the details and condition are everything.  It take big bucks to do a thorough restoration and it looks like that car will need a lot of TLC to get it right again.  

I think you better leave the bar and go home immediately 🙄 and sleep it off. 

• Like 6

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

come take it for 15K as is. 

with a title, an engine that's not seized, and no rust?

All the parts are there?

5 speed swap?

Brake upgrades?

sure.  Sounds good to me!

Oh, wait- I'm spending YOUR money here.

Me, I'd be more likely to buy that $2200 low- rust shell off C-List that

comes with 'quite a few parts' and then spend $20k over 2 years

making it the way I wanted it.

...but I do happen to have 'a few' spare parts kicking around here ....somewhere....

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Most assuredly nowhere near $20k--even running with little/no rust it isn't worth that.  

Pluses:  

• it's an early, roundie tii
  • it doesn't appear to have any egregious rust showing (but who knows what lurks under the carpets, in the rockers, under the trunk floor and the inner rear wheel arches.  
  • body seems to be straight--no bashes 
  • interior (less front seats and cracked dash) appears decent
  • Paint you can live with for now (not a patchwork of primer, dull paint and rust)

Minuses:

• hasn't run in years--K-fishes don't like to sit--will it even turn over?
  • brakes probably need attention
  • original front seats are MIA and won't be easy to locate replacements
  • all that black-painted trim--what lurks under that black paint?  rust?  sanded down anodized aluminum?
  • hassle of getting a key (look for the key number sticker on the back of the ignition switch, you may get lucky)
  • missing its original 5" steel wheels (they go for $150+ a pop these days) and their wheel covers
  • missing license plate lights (that's $75-100 for the lights, and the plinths are NLA)
  • tail light lenses are all bleached out
  • missing steering column surround, and the A/C unit appears to be loose/displaced (who knows what's happening there)

Lots more minuses than pluses.  However...

Given that it's a tii, and an early one at that--presuming the engine turns over (once a key makes that happen) and there's no egregious rust, it might be worth a bit less than half of the (unfortunately) deluded owner's asking price. 

And the sad thing is that that what will probably happen is the owner will be convinced that his price is "fair" and won't budge, much less be realistic.  And the car will sit and further deteriorate until the delta between value and asking price is even greater.  And what would have been savable--won't be. 

I watched three American Austin roadsters and a '59 Moretti coupe (with less than 1k miles on it) slowly sink into the dirt of an open-sided shed floor, protected only by rotting tarps, until they were un-salvagable.  I tried for years to buy any or all, but the owner kept saying "I'm gonna restore 'em...someday."  Then I went by there and the house, shed and cars were all gone, replaced by a gas station.  Sigh...

Be careful, and good luck

Mike

• Like 4

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Major major project. Agree 6-7k at best.  Looks to be a home for many a mouse.

He looks to be a hoarder of sorts and this needs everything.🙁

I understand the lost puppy can I bring it home but I would run.

Air cleaner front duct is missing? Bumbers & trim is gone. Honda accord (?) seats are ugly but might be comfy - how rails are done? Those seats needs to go imho. Additional metal work there? All the parts thats needs to be replaced or are missing - $$$$$. + paint. It’s gonna cost.

but…. what others have said…

idk

• Like 2

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91