• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine won't fire, can't find the gremlin

Background
Fresh motor, it's done 400km since completion.
Got 11:1 comp, 292, twin 45s, 123ignition, headers etc. Freshly tuned on the dyno making 125rwhp 

Just before christmas it decided not start consistently.

Now it won't fire at all after driving it into my carport a few weeks ago - not even a cough. 
I've done the following:

Please note: leads, coil and dizzy are 2 months/400km old. 

Replaced the plugs gapped to .8
Checked floats and needle & seat
Checked pump jets
Checked fuel supply & pressure
Check all grounds
Checked compression all 160+ cold
Check dizzy is spinning
Checked coil primary (2.5ohms) and secondary (11.6kohms) resistance
Misted petrol down throats
Checked if I had spark on all 4 grounding them to the strut tower
Checked timing (it hasn't changed)
Checked & toggled the immobilizing function on 123
Checked & adjusted 123 maps
Checked leads
Used startyabastard direct on to throttle plates
Hotwired coil direct from 12 source
Removed negative on coil to be sure it wasn’t grounding randomly via tacho wire

I'm running out of ideas. Can anyone give me something else to try? 
Edited by wagoner
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Try firing it with starting fluid, if it fires you have a fuel problem if not it's ignition.

Yup, done that, we call it Start ya bastard down here in Australia 😂

• Haha 1

Spark, fuel, air, compression. What did the plugs look like when you pulled them?

That said, I'd suspect that distributor before anything else.

• Like 2

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

2 hours ago, 02Pilot said:

I'd suspect that distributor before anything else.

Me too.

You're getting everything you need (fuel, air, spark and compression), but not at the right place and at the right time.

Startyabastard....love it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, visionaut said:

I’ll go with either a dead 123, or the dizzy lost it’s timing datum, and is now firing but not near where it needs to to make the gas go boom…

Verify #1 @ TDC has rotor pointed at #1…

Yup, I did that early on. Lined up perfectly. 

Seems clear that this is an ignition problem, given that you have used "start ya bastard"...

What else is there? Boy, this is a tough one. Coil, or dizzy? Or, something really trivial like a bad coil wire.

• Like 1

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

From your original post, it was unclear whether you had spark at the plugs.  If you did, and the car had run nicely for 400km after the rebuild, the only logical thing is that your 123 dizzy has gone wonky.  Either that, or somehow the engine itself has jumped time (via the timing chain jumping a sprocket tooth or two).  

However, if you didn't have spark at the plugs, but voltage at the coil, and since you don't have a conventional dizzy (so no failing condenser, worn points etc), you might check the wire that runs from the coil to the distributor.  I had an intermittent no start (conventional dizzy) and had eliminated all the failure points (points, condenser, cap, rotor etc) and finally discovered the insulated terminal connecting the low tension coil wire to the dizzy was broken under the insulated cover and making intermittent contact.  The giveaway was that the distributor wouldn't function when the intermittency appeared.  That wire supplies the signal to the tach, so check your tach next time you crank the engine and see if it twitches.

And let us know whatcha find.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

What coil do you have? 

If you have a 75-76, you need to remove the resistor wire or you aren't going to get 12v to the Dizzy. 

Check the 123 app and look at the dashboard, you should see almost battery voltage.   If you are seeing 10ish volts then you aren't getting enough juice and you likely have a resistor.

Is the dizzy getting voltage in the run position, not just the start position?  It could be a bad ignition switch.  

Although the 123 is a bit of gadgetry, the only consistent problem is the oil seal.  I can only recall 2-3 electronic failures posted to this site. 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002