• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebushing a differential hanger

I did this 32 years ago but have no memory of the project. I used urethane bushings, which have gone pretty crispy-crunchy over time. I'm replacing them with the original-style rubber. 

I'm confident I can get the old ones out easily, but I don't know about getting the new ones in. Are these installable with some lubricant and a rubber hammer, or is  proper press called for?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I want to do the same refurb, can’t wait for the replies.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Installing new rubber diff hanger bushings is a PITA.  Two-piece urethane is so easy it’s almost cheating.

I would suggest a press, a correctly sized piece of aluminum round, and patience.  Little lube helps, but the press is the biggest help.

The metal ring the rubber is attached to will deform relatively easily.  It’s easy to start, but just make sure it’s squared up as it goes further in.  Asymmetrical entry will not go well.

Your results may vary.

• Like 3

The other option is to buy the hanger with the bushings already pressed in place.  Back in the day, that's the way I thought they came--bushings weren't available separately.  Apparently they are now.

I have successfully used thick wall plumbing pipe to remove and install suspension bushings; they're very strong in compression and used with 3/8" diameter bolts and thick washers work quite well.

mike  

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'm with Andrew on this- without a press, the shell bends before it goes in.

Even WITH a press, the shell often doesn't hold up.

MAYBE a big ViSe and some of Mike's plumbing you could do it, but most viSes 

have coarse threads, and not enuf squeeze...

t

miami

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

18 hours ago, Mike Self said:

The other option is to buy the hanger with the bushings already pressed in place. 

Been investigating this with little success, anyone have a PN?

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Darn, that Blunt price was quite attractive.

Now the few available on Ebay have had price stupid inflated.

Mercenaries I tell ya

s-l1600.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for OEM BMW 33173404100 Cross Member 2002 Tii 1600 Rear Differential Mount at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

One thing to do with the shel is grind the leading edge at a 45 degree chamfer so that the bushing will locate and get started without much warping.

A BIG vise with a piece of pipe as above MIGHT just work but a press is definitely better.

You may have an auto parts store that does this type of work, like wheel bearings, so ask.

Or this might be the excuse to get that $100.00 12 ton press from HF..... Trust me you'll find other uses if only to crush multiple beer cans because you can.

• Like 4