• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barnfind in my own garage: Bringing a '73 Tii back to life

JsnPpp

1 hour ago, JsnPpp said:

Anyone else wonder why the dimples in front of the coil? I thought the red car had these too. Anyone else?

My 74 tii has them, driver and passenger side.  There is an extra layer of sheet metal under the strut mounts around the opening that comes down a few inches.  I think those are spot welds securing that extra layer of sheet metal.

20221121_195419.thumb.jpg.f3114b2a09d17694381750a9cf2a1563.jpg

20221121_195402.thumb.jpg.f27b7a65cd367079a95cd71516a0077f.jpg

Edited by bergie33
  • Like 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

7 hours ago, Greg R aka Big_Lebowski said:

Jason,

I know you mentioned paint is a ways off... have you settled on a paint shop yet?  

I think so, but haven't fully committed yet...

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Almost time to start building a parts list. 

• Engine seals/gaskets/hoses
  • Getrag 245/5 seals
  • Suspension - bushings/bearings/brakes

Essentially everything in the engine bay and under the car.

I don't suppose someone has all the part numbers already? I'll go through realoem regardless, but it would save some time and probably remind me of some pieces.

I need to get an engine stand soon too.

On the list today is to clean the engine bay of all extra parts. 

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Regarding hardware, I bought all new stuff from Walloth Nesch.  Fenders, hood, bumpers, engine and suspension.  It all came in kit bag form in a small box so the shipping from Germany wasn’t expensive. My original hardware was super crusty.

I took lots of pics and also used a spiral notebook to document wiring, trim,etc.

If you are keeping the Ac, are you upgrading it?  If so, think about the (2) different sizes of hoses.  The reduced barrier hoses are smaller in diameter and easier to route.

Plan ahead for upgrades like WB 02 sensor and 3rd brake light.

I posted my spreadsheet pic of G245 parts here when I did my tii back in 2009. LMK if you need it.

Keep us posted so we can keep you and your daughter motivated.

Jim

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

18 hours ago, JohnP_02 said:

Shit. I'm screwed 😐

But you’re way ahead now since the car is at the body shop.  Took me a while to find a place.   I rebuilt the suspension while the car was at the body shop.

• Like 3

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

41 minutes ago, jgerock said:

If you are keeping the Ac, are you upgrading it?  If so, think about the (2) different sizes of hoses.  The reduced barrier hoses are smaller in diameter and easier to route.

Yep, going to keep the AC. It's a behr system and I have the hobie bracket to add a new compressor. I'll need new hoses, etc.

Plan ahead for upgrades like WB 02 sensor and 3rd brake light.

Good call on that. I haven't decided how modern I'm going with it yet. It does have the points replacement and I'm tempted to go 123 distributor for fun. If I do that then I'll add a bung for 02 sensor. Ok, I'll do that anyway. 🙂 

I posted my spreadsheet pic of G245 parts here when I did my tii back in 2009. LMK if you need it.

You know, it wouldn't hurt if it's easy to send to me. Thank you.

Keep us posted so we can keep you and your daughter motivated.

Will do! We are driven to get this done but I know life will get in the way. I'll try to document all the steps, trials and tribulations. I wouldn't be able to do it without the amazing people and content on this forum.

Edited by JsnPpp

2 hours ago, JsnPpp said:

I'm also looking for a bolt in battery tray if anyone has a lead on one.

Were they different at times?  Cuz I have an 02 one to part with but it needs a new 6mm nut that is welded to the underside for the hold down bracket

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

26 minutes ago, jimk said:

Were they different at times?  Cuz I have an 02 one to part with but it needs a new 6mm nut that is welded to the underside for the hold down bracket

My understanding is that Tii is a bit shorter than non-Tii and also the later cars ('74+)? had bolt on vs. weld. I read a thread by @Mike Self on it, I'll find it again..

I'm looking for bolt on to make it easier to remove to do work. Also, I thought that the thread said it was possible to modify the non-Tii to make it work.

PM if you choose to let it go. Candidly I also need to check my piles, it is possible I kept the remains of it somewhere, but I don't think so.

1 hour ago, JsnPpp said:

My understanding is that Tii is a bit shorter than non-Tii and also the later cars ('74+)? had bolt on vs. weld. I read a thread by @Mike Self on it, I'll find it again..

Yeah, roundies have a bolt-in battery tray--actually use coarse-thread sheet metal bolts, similar to those used to hold the front fenders in place.  Tii trays are mounted much lower, but AFAIK roundie tii's trays also bolt in.  

Squarelight cars have welded-in battery trays--at least all the ones I've seen (that I know haven't been messed with)  do.  

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

17 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

… Tii trays are mounted much lower, but AFAIK roundie tii's trays also bolt in…

I think, Mike, that all tii battery trays were welded in but all tii owners wish they were bolted in, so they could swap an alternator without dropping the front anti-sway bar. My plan is to convert my ‘73 from welded-in to bolted-in. But, being lazy, I’m waiting for another tii owner to show me a slick way to do it, hopefully re-using my original battery tray… 😉

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

I think, Mike, that all tii battery trays were welded in but all tii owners wish they were bolted in, so they could swap an alternator without dropping the front anti-sway bar.

Truer words have never been spoken. . . 

Also, my '72tii, July mfg, has a weld in battery tray.

• Like 1

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii