• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FAQ has become completely useless..

bluedevils

I love this site and this community. Thank you Steve and team for all your hard work. Having said that, I work in tech and also know the capability limits of sites likes ours.

Generally, articles and threads require the poster to include keywords in the description for site management tools (like the one that our patron saint of 02 goodness Steve uses) to have good search functionality. The site specific search is only as good the terms/keywords it is optimized to search for. This is especially true for images. No keywords, no dice. 

Your best bet is to Google your search term + "bmw2002faq" in your browser to get the best results. Also, putting quotes around a specific query like ”Ray wants his ice cream" will narrow your results. 

Hope this helps. 

James

• Like 7

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

I can still locate every pic I’ve ever posted on FAQ, going back to 2006.  

Why? Because I either uploaded the pic to FAQ as an attachment (13 pages full still in my Attachment library), or I hosted the image offsite, and linked to it (knowing the links won’t go dead like most do).

Here’s a link to one of my first-ever posted pics, with a FAQ attachment photo that I uploaded.

Sure, there have been some hiccups over the years (gained a few pics, lost a few, more than a couple years ago), but I appreciate all the updates and changes (and the support investment Steve makes) to keep the FAQ modern, secure, robust and feature/content rich.

AND If you can’t find something ASK - there’s a good bunch here that love helping folks out, whether it’s about torquing guibos or finding old posts/content.

Tom

• Like 3

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

I must strongly disagree, that FAQ is useless.

This is nowadays only social media I am watching in regular basis. Although I am tied in other projects and my cars are waiting, FAQ keeps the fire up. Amount of knowledge here has been and is overwhelming.

But the main reason FAQ gives so much is the way You talk here. It is kind, inspiring and even when somebody wants to troll against something, You disagree with civilized manner, sometimes even funny.

• Like 8

The beautiful thing is you have the freedom and choice not to use this forum, if you don’t like it.  Nothing will work perfectly for everyone.   I believe this is a friendly, informative and helpful site overall.

Edited by Schnellvintage
  • Like 1

Al, having a bad day buddy?  As mentioned above, I search for stuff on the site by using google with 'bmw2002faq' as one of the search terms- I get much less frustrating results that way.

• Like 2

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Yes, I was having a bad day, mainly because a lot of seat belts installation posts I refer to a few fellows cannot be found. Google search within FAQ now says, post couldn't be found or something like that... For example, please find for me the Peacock method for installing inertia belts to early cars, I will buy 12-pack beer for you of your choice! Previously, I could at least find my posts although it was sometimes complicated and taken longer, now it seems impossible.  I personally used this site for a lot of years for valuable information, and for that it is indeed an excellent source. But it is frustrating when you can't find stuff you knew were there before...   

14 hours ago, bluedevils said:

Can't find anything, can't find any of the old posts, very difficult to navigate etc. What the hell of going on here? Do I need a Ph.D. in navigation science? This web site is complete garbage now.. 

and it's free, the bastards.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Bluedevils, you really should be more temperate and measured in your criticisms.  If I was one of the hard working, dedicated administrators on this site I would be insulted. 

We all have bad days and bad days within bad days. But they are no excuse for our bad behavior. 

Steve

Let me add my 2cents in defence of this site.  I am  gonna out on the limb here and say that if not for this site a few of us would not have completed their project or maintained the motivation to continue. After 40 years sitting idle I was at a cross roads with my car, sell it and move on with the rest of my life. I literally stumbled on this site 8 years ago. I decided to keep it and take the leap. 

The information and reference material available here is endless.  I for one remain indebted to this community, Steve for his endless dedication and those who continue to    contribute and share their knowledge that has provided me the opportunity to enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluedevils said:

For example, please find for me the Peacock method for installing inertia belts to early cars, I will buy 12-pack beer for you of your choice!

I put "peacock" in the search window and clicked on the ones that pertained to belts.  There was one where you posted the link and that was a dead end, but this one worked.

Here is the direct link to the thread you mentioned

You might call me a weirdo, but I enjoy using this site's search function.

Tom

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 6