• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Our Car Universally Loved?

2002#3

The Ford Pinto Case and human life value - TU Delft OpenResearch.net

"I think there are very few seventies cars that aren't loved to be seen on the roads in 2020"

Are you sure about that?

• Haha 1

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

My other car is an Audi RS4. 450hp V8 crammed into an A4 body/frame. Crazy fast, body slamming torque, a ton of performance tweaks still in great condition since I acquired it in 2007. 

My 1975 2002 gets 100 to 1 thumbs up, waves, nods and conversation startups vs the RS4.

Two completely different driving experiences, but I can't stop smiling when I am driving either one. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

I should say that I also drive a vehicle that is way, way more universally loved than my 02.  I mean there's no comparison in the attention received.  In my 02, I often get conversations with mostly 'car guys.'  Non-car people will often compliment the 02 if they happen to be talking to me, but they don't go out of their way as much.

With the truck, its a whole other level.  I have to account for time talking to random people at every stop.  It's everyone, not just car people.  I've almost caused wrecks from other drivers staring.  When I come out from a store, I usually expect to be approached by someone thats been stalking it, and usually see someone taking pics of it with their phone.

For many years, I had a '65 crudely painted on the tailgate that the previous owner did, which I think was a means to answer the first question most people had.  Well I think that just forced guys into a more awkward question, as they just want some kind of excuse to talk to me.  I got rid of the '65 on the tailgate, and I think it made some conversations easier. 

Image may contain: sky, car and outdoor

• Like 5

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

20 hours ago, KFunk said:

I should say that I also drive a vehicle that is way, way more universally loved than my 02.  I mean there's no comparison in the attention received.  In my 02, I often get conversations with mostly 'car guys.'  Non-car people will often compliment the 02 if they happen to be talking to me, but they don't go out of their way as much.

With the truck, its a whole other level.  I have to account for time talking to random people at every stop.  It's everyone, not just car people.  I've almost caused wrecks from other drivers staring.  When I come out from a store, I usually expect to be approached by someone thats been stalking it, and usually see someone taking pics of it with their phone.

For many years, I had a '65 crudely painted on the tailgate that the previous owner did, which I think was a means to answer the first question most people had.  Well I think that just forced guys into a more awkward question, as they just want some kind of excuse to talk to me.  I got rid of the '65 on the tailgate, and I think it made some conversations easier. 

Image may contain: sky, car and outdoor

Is it love? Or is it more what is that cute little truck?

I had to search Google images to figure out that it's a Datsun.

There is a difference between universally loved and I've never seen one of those before.

1 hour ago, 2002iii said:

Is it love? Or is it more what is that cute little truck?

I had to search Google images to figure out that it's a Datsun.

There is a difference between universally loved and I've never seen one of those before.

Well it depends on your definition of love, or is it just infatuation.  I see love in their eyes, and most actually say they love it.  Should I believe them?  I've been hurt before.  What is love? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more....  haha.  You could've just looked at my signature line.  

Edited by KFunk
  • Haha 1

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

On 1/26/2021 at 12:37 PM, jscaptura1 said:

The Ford Pinto Case and human life value - TU Delft OpenResearch.net

"I think there are very few seventies cars that aren't loved to be seen on the roads in 2020"

Are you sure about that?

I think they were noted for their ashtrays... yeah

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

... as awful as the car may have been and rear end fiery crashes maybe true, NBC news back in the day  had to produce a staged , fake demonstration , which demonstrated nothing more than how corrupt the news is at times. Unintended acceleration redux .

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

My Inka car gets the attention everyone is talking about with the bonus of young children pointing and trying to break free from their parents grasp to get one last look.

My best "I had one of those" story is the time I was exiting a gas station and an older gentleman (even  older than me) approached and said he had the exact same car when he was a Professor at university.  He loved the car so much that he sat in it at lunch because it was his favorite place to be.   So I drove him home.  He had tears in his eyes. 

I'm with @TobyB.  I have a love/hate relationship with my car.  There are weeks when we don't speak.   I shouldn't have to fix things twice.   I don't think it's always my fault!  Or is it? 

...we always make up.

• Like 5

73 Inka Tii #2762958

3 hours ago, Mike A said:

... as awful as the car may have been and rear end fiery crashes maybe true, NBC news back in the day  had to produce a staged , fake demonstration , which demonstrated nothing more than how corrupt the news is at times. Unintended acceleration redux .

I could have used this as well!  I was just using the Pinto because it was so ugly.  Just as bad as this Vega wagon with the simulated wood grain paneling the the vinyl seats that would burn your skin off in the summertime.

FOTD_1974ChevroletVega.jpg

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

I too on occasion have had cause to use a few four letter words to express my frustration with my Colorado  while I was putting it back together. I guess after sitting neglected for some 40 years it was to be expected. None the less I too have been shown lots of love while I have been out and about. Lots of thumbs up while I’m out on the road and admirers while I am at the gas station... not unusual to take 30 minutes to  fill up or grabbing a coffee at Starbucks. The strangest encounter was a guy that wanted to carry on a conversation  on the freeway doing 70-80 mph....he was the passenger in the other lane.

I never get tired of showing the car to those who have had experience or regrets for parting ways with their car back in the day. To see their smiles and reactions makes it all worthwhile and very gratifying....it never gets old. I feel honoured to be a gate keeper of such an iconic car.

IMG_1140.JPG

Edited by joysterm
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mike A said:

To be fair NBC is not going to crash enough cars to get one to ignite when it only happens in one outa 10 rear-ending's not defending any news source in anyway.........but.  

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

31 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

I saw your car on the  British forum.  Universally loved, indeed.  Excellent!

Ya  I was flattered to see the article....not on the same level as Haggerty's but pretty kool to have it show up in jolly ol England. 

I will remind everyone of the Cosworth Vega and a couple of race series based on the Ford Pinto engine. Going low I remember these cars being called the Ford Pito and the Chevy Verga.

The 02, too many friends positive memories and situations to remember. My wife and kids were there to experience this along with 4 different Golden Retrievers. For me a life changing car and I still love it.