• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbo Manifolds That Mount to M10??

Mucci

32 minutes ago, Mucci said:

Do you have an eBay tubular manifold or cast?

Neither.  It was made by "Boost Bros" I am not sure if it is the boost bros found on youtube.  I purchased the whole lot off someone here on the forum.  It was built for the 2002, but never installed.  I talked to the guy that had it made. Welds are a work of art and the v-bands are pretty trick.  I opted out of the computer he had for it, but took the timing stuff, 318 manifold, injector rail and some beefy injectors intercooler etc.. 

I am a techie type of person, so lots of sensors including per cyl EGT.  

5F2C522F-2244-451F-8B66-935E6F8A9645.thumb.jpeg.4bee45226a8884c3d2a35b978e38f1dc.jpeg

3F21130A-1540-4D1B-BBCA-38BA908A2540.thumb.jpeg.1f4c712aa9d5b60ce976c51a306b6bd7.jpeg

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Nope, as Byron says, there's nothing stock out there that 'just bolts up and goes'.

The 'weld ell' solution's not too tough, and you get to put the flange wherever you like it.

There IS room below, but then you run into a bit of a challenge getting oil out of the

turbo reliably.

The Ford Modular head was way different, but I dunno if someone tried all the permutations

of manifolds for it (2 heads per application, and that motor was stuffed into about half a hundred vehicles.

(anything Triton, for example) 

The port shape is different.

Only the M10, M30 and Modular had 100mm spacing.

Only the M10 and the M30 had that port shape.

Only the M10 came with a 4- branch manifold.

fwiw,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

4 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Mike the cylinder head I think your referring to was one side of the ford modular v8 it had the same cylinder spacing as the m10 a few guys were hot to try it some years ago but I've never heard of anyone getting it running.

I feel better now--I knew I wasn't imagining it--just had the wrong Ford.  Did anyone ever do anything with that concept?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

3 hours ago, TobyB said:

Nope, as Byron says, there's nothing stock out there that 'just bolts up and goes'.

The 'weld ell' solution's not too tough, and you get to put the flange wherever you like it.

There IS room below, but then you run into a bit of a challenge getting oil out of the

turbo reliably.

The Ford Modular head was way different, but I dunno if someone tried all the permutations

of manifolds for it (2 heads per application, and that motor was stuffed into about half a hundred vehicles.

(anything Triton, for example) 

The port shape is different.

Only the M10, M30 and Modular had 100mm spacing.

Only the M10 and the M30 had that port shape.

Only the M10 came with a 4- branch manifold.

fwiw,

t

So what I’m hearing is a M30 turbo manifold from the 745i would have matching port size and port spacing... just needs to be relieved of a couple runners.

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

The Century 320i kit was made in Los Angeles. Problem like all the other kits and even the original BMW turbo manifold was always the cast iron part eventually cracking. The exhaust manifold/turbo mount is best cast and metallurgy has advanced. I remember reading about a European company making some solid reliable replacements.

4e_3.jpg

8.jpg

13 hours ago, Mucci said:

Scratch that. The 745i manifold is a weird three piece manifold with heat sink fins cast into it... and $400+

Yeah I have a whole 745i turbo motor, cutting that manifold up would be tough and closing the ends would require welding on the cast iron which is not fun. Also the exhaust studs on the turbo head are bigger than a normal m30 head. Also the exhaust port on an m30 is bigger than m10 and a different shape. I tried putting a m30 header on a m10 head to see if I could modify it to work but if I remember correctly the spacing was different because of the bigger ports and it wouldn't work without extensive modifications.

The 745i manifold is a weird three piece manifold

yup.

t

weld ells, jus' sayin'

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

36 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

Like these.

Ah! Didn’t know those existed. Does someone sell kits?

However if I’m going to weld I’m probably going to make something that flows better than the log... I’m just trying to do things quicker rather than turning everything into a big project and never getting the car back on the road. 

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

I made an IR weld ell 'maniflow header' thingy for a Volvo B20.  All 4 flow into the

collector together.  It's not equal length, but it's also not log.  Nor is it light!

I bought ells from Ballard Hardware in Ballard Bottoms.  But they're available online.

It was fun.  I re- learned how to gas weld doing it.  Tacked it with a MIG, then

re- welded everything oxy- acetylene.  "To keep stresses down!"

t

bananas

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 2

Hey, I found something on the internets!

The Mitsubishi 'big 4' g54b as found in 1st gen Monteros and Starions/ Conquests

(Stonquest, as we called my buddy's always- busted Conquest)

has a 100mm bore spacing.  I recall it had a pretty decent- looking manifold, and, BONUTS-

the Starion was turbo'ed.  The second gen Starion had a pretty big turrrrboooooo....

Dunno how the bolt pattern works, but I recall THAT 

was a pretty well- designed cast manifold with about the right port size.

Of course, I found this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M10-Stainless-Turbo-Header-Manifold-T3-BMW-2002-TurboCharger-Bimmer-CUSTOM/271232131588?_trkparms=aid%3D1110012%26algo%3DSPLICE.SOIPOST%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200420083544%26meid%3D6813f538551e4d6eb2dcd49658536066%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D251466477338%26itm%3D271232131588%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DPromotedSellersOtherItemsV2WithMLRv3&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

on the internets, too.

t

cracked

md997215.jpg

uIuSNds.jpg

1987_mitsubishi_starion_le_2_2_turbo_hatchback-pic-1148344340722902674-1600x1200.jpeg

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 2

Wow Toby that looks like you could make that work with a lot of grinding and drilling, to the point that if this was my project I'd be looking for one or at least the gasket to at least hold it up to the head to see if any fatal flaws like overlapping stud holes or ports are present.

Edited by Son of Marty

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944