Turbo Manifolds That Mount to M10??

Has anyone discovered an OEM turbo manifold *** that's cheap and easy to find *** that mounts up to the M10? 

Back when I had a Mk3 2.0L 8V VW someone had figured out that the 5cyl turbo manifold from the earl 90's Audi 5cyl turbo cars actually mounted up if you just chopped a runner off. Armed with that knowledge I was able to score the entire turbo system off an Audi in a junkyard for $200. All in I think I spent $1,000 and was around 160-180hp at 8psi.

Wondering if anyone's tried something similar with the M10. 

Edited by Mucci

There are a number of people making Turbo exhaust  headers  for the M10.  Go on Ebay and you will find most of them.  As far as Cast manifolds I don' t know of anyone still making them.  Callaway and BAE used to make them back in the late 70's-early 80's for their turbo kits for the E21 320i.  The factory Turbo manifold are very rare these days and very expensive if you find one.  

12 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

There are a number of people making Turbo exhaust  headers  for the M10.  Go on Ebay and you will find most of them.  As far as Cast manifolds I don' t know of anyone still making them.  Callaway and BAE used to make them back in the late 70's-early 80's for their turbo kits for the E21 320i.  The factory Turbo manifold are very rare these days and very expensive if you find one.  

My question is about non-2002 OEM turbo manifold compatibility.

i.e. Not custom made. Not aftermarket. Not from 2002 Turbo.

Perhaps my memory is deteriorating from old age, but I seem to remember a cylinder head from another engine that pretty much bolted up to an M10 block; IIRC it was a twin cam head, just don't remember from what (Lotus Cortina, perhaps?)  That might be another way to find an existing turbo manifold.

If the exhaust port spread on an M42/44 was similar to the M10, that might be a possibility as there are numerous turbo kits for that motor...otherwise...short of the OEM turbo manifold, you're SOL.

mike

Your best option is what the e30 m10 guys do, use the e30 m10 318i stock exhaust manifold with an adapter to a turbo flange. Or you could put an ad in the wanted section for an aftermarket or custom turbo manifold l. Most of the ones on ebay are Chinese crap that is of inferior quality. You could also contact Rapid spool Industries, the guy know as Goodntight on some of the BMW forums startered this company making m10 turbo manifolds.

9 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

Perhaps my memory is deteriorating from old age, but I seem to remember a cylinder head from another engine that pretty much bolted up to an M10 block; IIRC it was a twin cam head, just don't remember from what (Lotus Cortina, perhaps?)  That might be another way to find an existing turbo manifold.

If the exhaust port spread on an M42/44 was similar to the M10, that might be a possibility as there are numerous turbo kits for that motor...otherwise...short of the OEM turbo manifold, you're SOL.

mike

The m4x uses a different shaped exhaust port closer to the s14 shape.

5 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

Your best option is what the e30 m10 guys do, use the e30 m10 318i stock exhaust manifold with an adapter to a turbo flange. Or you could put an ad in the wanted section for an aftermarket or custom turbo manifold l. Most of the ones on ebay are Chinese crap that is of inferior quality. You could also contact Rapid spool Industries, the guy know as Goodntight on some of the BMW forums startered this company making m10 turbo manifolds.

Is that E30 M10 adapter you mentioned what those guys are doing or just a custom suggestion? If the turbo placement works out with just an adapter that would be cheap and easy...seeing as I have a M10B18 sitting on the floor of the garage. 

35 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

mike

I seem to remember that some folks adapted a M series twin cam cyl head to a M10 block.

2 hours ago, Preyupy said:

I looked long and hard at the ebay turbo kits, but they have a tendency to crack. By the time you start to take it of, gusset the heck out of it, I think you may be further ahead getting one made.  That being said I have no idea as to the one I have will perform. It is heavy as all get go, with a thick flange but ultimately part of a basket(ish) case.  It may be overkill. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

It's been done many times search Google. Someone was selling them on one of the e30 forums but that was years ago. Any competent exhaust shop should be able to build you one pretty easy. Look at the bottom of the page here for an example of one.

Ah I see, flipping the manifold. That looks like a routing and access nightmare. Looks like the owner burned up the #1 plug and couldn’t access it without removing the manifold. No thanks. Wonder if a bottom mount would work... Would be easier exhaust and intercooler routing if it clears the steering and crossmember. 

3 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

I looked long and hard at the ebay turbo kits, but they have a tendency to crack. By the time you start to take it of, gusset the heck out of it, I think you may be further ahead getting one made.  That being said I have no idea as to the one I have will perform. It is heavy as all get go, with a thick flange but ultimately part of a basket(ish) case.  It may be overkill. 

Do you have an eBay tubular manifold or cast?

3 minutes ago, Mucci said:

Ah I see, flipping the manifold. That looks like a routing and access nightmare. Looks like the owner burned up the #1 plug and couldn’t access it without removing the manifold. No thanks. Wonder if a bottom mount would work... Would be easier exhaust and intercooler routing if it clears the steering and crossmember. 

You could probably make a bottom mount work but it would be very tight with the fender and steering. Try mocking it up and see since you already have the manifold. The factory turbo was a bottom mount. Or you could try using the 2002 manifold and down pipe and mount the turbo behind the steering but then intake piping will be a nightmare. Your best bet is still probably trying to find a used cast turbo manifold or have a custom one made.