• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

300 HP, How to Assemble Our Engines Engine Builders Chime In

Benjamin A.R.

1 hour ago, Dudeland said:

I am following this one closely as well.  I am not nearly as close as evil02, but is a stroker out of the question for a turbo build?

Strokers are cool and between a stroker or all bore, they are pretty different. I like all bore(big bore) for turbo builds. I don't have m10 experience with a stroker but, I have done many in the P-car world. My M10 is just .5mm over sized pistons. with all the headwork, valves and the cam, it should yield some serious power. I was hoping for well over 400hp. We'll see. Maybe I am way off..

• Like 1

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

1 hour ago, evil02 said:

Strokers are cool and between a stroker or all bore, they are pretty different. I like all bore(big bore) for turbo builds. I don't have m10 experience with a stroker but, I have done many in the P-car world. My M10 is just .5mm over sized pistons. with all the headwork, valves and the cam, it should yield some serious power. I was hoping for well over 400hp. We'll see. Maybe I am way off..

PM'ing you. I don't want to hijack the thread. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

18 hours ago, Benjamin A.R. said:

Ain't that the truth. That should be a disclaimer at the top of every Ebay motors listing.

Not just eBay lots of stuff out there fixing 02 problems that never existed.

My 121 rear wheel horsepower motor is still pretty stout but somehow the new dyno number is around 150? 

Yep no disrespect intended. I see that you have a well informed opinion based on experience, I just disagree. Which is totally fine! I just want to see more people do cool stuff with these engines, because that drives the aftermarket for all of us.

M10 is a 50 year old relatively low production motor that grew up with mechanical fuel and spark control.

Intercooled turbo efi M10 there are not very many fully sorted. Add a longer stroke or larger bore you may not find any. Hp per dollar ratio is pretty sad when compared to a high production motor like an LS or anomaly like a rotary. Love the M10 but you approach the limits of any motor your cost and time investments get astronomical.

I would think a 4 valve head on a stout 2 liter M10 lower end might move the quantity of air you need.

Good luck Benjamin and Evil hoping you have nothing but success please keep posting you results.

Edited by gary32
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, evil02 said:

My M10 is just .5mm over sized pistons. with all the headwork, valves and the cam, it should yield some serious power. I was hoping for well over 400hp. We'll see. Maybe I am way off..

Off of upper end i think. Here is where i'm at (M10B18, @1.9 bar):

dyno_471b.pdf

• Like 2

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

5 hours ago, tzei said:

Off of upper end i think. Here is where i'm at (M10B18, @1.9 bar):

dyno_471b.pdf 19.18 kB · 2 downloads

Very nice! congrats! I knew it was possible to hit those number. I just need time to put it all together!

Have you considered a different hotside?  Maybe a cam or something to move a little more air? Lots of torque(which is awesome) but, I feel like you can make more HP on top, especially with more revs.

Edited by evil02

@evil02 yes i could go bigger turbine housing and cam should be made acordingly or just tweak cam alone. Or i could start using ethanol (now normal 98e pump fuel). But thing is i don’t need more hp (atleast for now lol). It’s hard enough as is to put power down to tarmac efficiently (semi slicks) and wet conditions even more so. So i got my handsfull plus it stays together (ten years or so, no major hick ups). I like wide ish torque band - what i wanted and hp is enough to hit 240 km/hour (longest straigt on our tracks).

@2002iii yes 27.5 psi is my max (sensor maxes at 29 psi). The car is used mainly in races yes. I don’t enjoy driving it in traffic, some occasional drives now and then, mainly test some small things, bedding pads & discs etc.

Engine is 1.8 L. Custom JE-pistons w/coatings, oil squirts, dry sump, custom turbo cam, Eibach valve springs, Ti-retainers, KM rockers, Cometic h/gasket, custom intake & exhaust manifolds, custom itb + Jenvey air box, custom ic. TTV racing flywheel & Sasch 184 mm 2-disc clutch, DTA s60 ecu (cop, sequential), water cooled Holset ”hybrid” hy35/hx40, HKS racing sqv and Tial 46 wg.

- normal stuff.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

5 hours ago, tzei said:

@evil02 yes i could go bigger turbine housing and cam should be made acordingly or just tweak cam alone. Or i could start using ethanol (now normal 98e pump fuel). But thing is i don’t need more hp (atleast for now lol). It’s hard enough as is to put power down to tarmac efficiently (semi slicks) and wet conditions even more so. So i got my handsfull plus it stays together (ten years or so, no major hick ups). I like wide ish torque band - what i wanted and hp is enough to hit 240 km/hour (longest straigt on our tracks).

- normal stuff.

No, that make sense for sure. In the spirit of "how much hp can you make with a M10 turbo" you are proving that the answer is a lot!  Your motor has a nice torque band for sure. A bigger turbo and it's possible to be 500+hp

haha, yeah "normal stuff" :)

Edited by evil02
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, evil02 said:

"how much hp can you make with a M10 turbo"

I think the factory's 1200hp f1 qualifying motor is a bench mark that's going to stand. 

• Haha 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, Son of Marty said:

I think the factory's 1200hp f1 qualifying motor is a bench mark that's going to stand. 

probably but, my local gas station doesn't have Toluene at the pump to help me fuel 5.4bar boost so, I need something that will run on E85 or worst case 94 octane.  :)

Edited by evil02
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tzei said:

Factory dyno maxed at about 1280 hp and they maxed it. Estimates vary between 1300 and 1400 hp. Some machine uh?

http://www.gurneyflap.com/bmwturbof1engine.html

Amazing to say the least. I have a friend that was a young apprentice that worked for BMW motorsports and on that car (meaningless tasks I am sure as he was young man). He has great stories and photos.

On 1/11/2021 at 1:41 AM, Preyupy said:

If you are using the ARP head studs DO NOT USE THE SPECIFIED TORQUE OF 90 ft/lbs!  You will CRUSH the cylinder head around the rocker shafts!  With the fine thread at the nut end of the stud 65 ft/lbs is more than enough to keep the head gasket (MLS) in place. 

Aw crap. Now you tell me. 

john

• Like 1

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades