• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

300 HP, How to Assemble Our Engines Engine Builders Chime In

Benjamin A.R.

13 hours ago, Benjamin A.R. said:

Sneak peak for the gang, posting part 3 tomorrow. A new project has entered the chat...

IMG_20210122_162531.jpg

Ben- nice /6

Check out my blog on airheads at www.classicairheads.com

I'm about half way through a ground up restoration of a 72 /5 Toaster. 

g

Edited by ozgeorge

I was gathering measurements a while back and I remember S2000 rods were same width and 1mm smaller on the big end. I don't know what K motor that is but what diameter are you guys going to and what do you see? Lower oil temps?

Ohh and nice bike!

Edited by edgefinder

55 minutes ago, evil02 said:

Behold a Honda J35 in a 2002..

You, you heathen!

Do you think it will all fit?  Just rewatched that vid with the supercharged J motor in the back of the old mini...  500hp all day...  Even my wife thought it was a really good, just a little too much idea...  But she was down.

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

36 minutes ago, irdave said:

You, you heathen!

Do you think it will all fit?  Just rewatched that vid with the supercharged J motor in the back of the old mini...  500hp all day...  Even my wife thought it was a really good, just a little too much idea...  But she was down.

I stuck it in there in about 3hrs.  Brake booster does not fit. Steering box does but, headers are going to be a bitch on the driver side. You can supercharge a stock  motor up to about 650(with 11:1 compression too!). Change the rods and it will do 850 all day.. I have a cam being developed and in N/a form, it should do about 400. Maybe more, not sure..

Edited by evil02
  • Like 1

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

Looks like a nice fit, but I'm sure you know putting the engine in the body is the easy part, it does get harder when you have to hook up all the gear, but that looks promising.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

2 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Looks like a nice fit, but I'm sure you know putting the engine in the body is the easy part, it does get harder when you have to hook up all the gear, but that looks promising.

I build a lot of cars and have done a lot of swaps. I can say, this is actually one of my easier swaps. So far, it all fits well. If I keep the stock steering box, the driver side header is going to be a challenge but, not any harder than a normal header. I already have a full e30 rear end installed with an e36 diff. The transmission tunnel was raised and the transmission fits perfectly. I will need to shorten the drive shaft but, thats easy. A/c will be run and a supercharger will be added later. I want to get it running and fully sorted out in N/a form first. I'm building 2 other cars at the same time so, this may get dragged out a little bit. I'll start a thread on it.

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

I love all these cool ideas.  I did the S14 swap back in the early '90's and as a result am kind of long-term infatuated with that motor, but if I was thinking of adding power nowadays you guys definitely have some potent alternatives.  And by the way, back then I was berated for removing the m10 by true bimmer aficionados, but now that swap is accepted.  So given time even the old farts will come around to new ideas like these.

• Like 3

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

9 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

The analog M10 with help from BMW history can be a potent package but not a inner web horsepower hero . 

The more modern M42 with a displacement bump and 4 valve head uncorks more potential without the cost of an S14. 

Non BMW transplants will always have a smaller fan base here. (1st hand knowledge)

Power plants weighing +-300 lbs set back in the chassis with higher horsepower and lower torque that isolate vibration will be the best drivers in an 02. That Odessey V6 is very interesting, shorter by 1 cylinder, light and bullet proof and I like the small blower idea for electronic simplicity. Nice original thought evil 02.

Building a motor is 1 thing, sorting that build and finishing your dream is the bigger part.

(Warning cross post) 

supradyno.jpg.9630a5387320944fb83d8cea0ecd1f43.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 12:27 PM, jk16vturbo said:

What about a 2002 and the latest greatest M5 motor stuffed between the shock towers?  Anybody know where I can find that 620 hp beast for cheap? 

Not the latest, but the greatest M5 motor swap has already been done.

https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=20401

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

8 hours ago, xr4tic said:

Not the latest, but the greatest M5 motor swap has already been done.

https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=20401

That's the first time I've seen pictures of all the bracing.  Seems appropriate...

44 minutes ago, evil02 said:

I wish his video showed him really push it hard instead of trying to win an Oscar for best production value, lol.

Get Chris Harris to take it out for a hoon?  (That actually might be an idea.  Anyone know Chris Harris?  The more I think about that, the better the idea gets...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.