• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

300 HP, How to Assemble Our Engines Engine Builders Chime In

Benjamin A.R.

9 minutes ago, Lorin said:

Maybe the glove isn't all the way on yet.

I mean should I have said, this thing doesn't even come close to fitting?   There are mysteries on this planet but, this motor fitting in the engine bay isn't one of them :)

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

10 minutes ago, evil02 said:

I mean should I have said, this thing doesn't even come close to fitting?   There are mysteries on this planet but, this motor fitting in the engine bay isn't one of them :)

No. I agree with your fitment evaluation regardless of metaphor.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, evil02 said:

I like to focus more on the glove and less on the fit.  The motor fits in the engine bay. Anything after that is trivial.

Just as long as it's not too loose. 

Loose 'gloves' are a nightmare.

heh.

Exhaust, Scmaust- that's why they invented holesaws!  Just send it out the side of the inner fenders and be done.

reflash the radiator

wow- that's extremely AlPenis.  I mean, you don't even have to flash the radiator

on an E90.

Dang.

t

Edited by TobyB
radiator flashing is just too good to let pass
  • Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

10 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Just as long as it's not too loose.

Its no hotdog in a hallway but, there's room..

Worst case is an open header v10..  It will sound like one of these two cars..

Edited by evil02
  • Like 1

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

New terminology "slick top".

Old terminology "rust free and unmolested".

1974 BMW 2002 E10 Slick Top square light original Tan - cars &....pdf

I was not really offended (pretty hard to do that) but I am terrified by Bill's 383 turbo.

Maybe not the best use of a barn find but Bill likes it and it is his car, respect to Bill a true southern gentleman.

Edited by gary32
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Little update throwing in the new motor, welding in the driver's side reinforcement, and burning the shit out of my hand pulling the steering box arm to install new seals. "I know better" haha. Slow updates because day job, subscribe and maybe I can make enough monopoly dollars to make videos all day. Can't wait to annihilate this clutch... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Benjamin A.R. said:

Little update throwing in the new motor, welding in the driver's side reinforcement, and burning the shit out of my hand pulling the steering box arm to install new seals. "I know better" haha. Slow updates because day job, subscribe and maybe I can make enough monopoly dollars to make videos all day. Can't wait to annihilate this clutch... 

First a couple notes:

You should never leave the engine hanging on the engine hoist for longer than you need to, I've seen too many motors dropped. Its called a engine hoist not an engine stand,

Beating on a puller is never going to help, beat on the part not the tool. Beating on the tool will most likely damage the threads.

I've burned my self enough times to remember to wear heavy leather gloves whenever using any kind of torch.

Now for the fun stuff:

Nice car and engine. How was it with 7 psi of boost?

What are the former and new engine specs?

I'm assuming the 240mm flywheel and clutch you talk about are from an m30, I've always wondered if they would work on an m10. I believe the m30 transmission's use the same input shaft splines and pilot bearings, so it should bolt in.

You should never leave the engine hanging on the engine hoist for longer than you need to, I've seen too many motors dropped. Its called a engine hoist not an engine stand,

Beating on a puller is never going to help, beat on the part not the tool. Beating on the tool will most likely damage the threads.

I've burned my self enough times to remember to wear heavy leather gloves whenever using any kind of torch.

1.  yeah, but usually it's a slow graceful droop.  I have a better one than I have a right to 

(well, ok, I replaced the seals) so mine doesn't do that.  Much.

2. you can always pull on a beater.  I do tend to smack the pullers from the end a bit, more for shock value.  Whalloping is usually just a quick way to get it to fly off and smack you in the face.

3. I always remember that, too, right AFTER I pick up whatever it was I was welding.

Did remember to wear 'short' shoes the other day, which saved the top of my foot when

the entire effing puddle of aluminum slumped off and landed square on the laces.

Stunk to HIGH HEAVEN, but I had that shoe off as soon as I felt the 'splash'.

Not too hot- aluminum slumps at 1200 or so.

t

not drunk enough

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 2/24/2021 at 3:51 AM, Benjamin A.R. said:

How did you get blue Loctite out of a red crucible?

?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.