• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's be there for Robspeed :)

ray_

I'll plagiarize @wegweiser here, because he does it much more gooder than me!

If you've been a member of the 2002FAQ or other BMW groups, you know the name Rob and

Jenna McDonald-Shisler. Many of you know that Jenna suffered a horrific life changing head injury when she was hit by another car a few years ago. For this reason, Rob must be her 24/7 caretaker while also handling the usual Dad duties for their son. Rob has championed me personally through thick and thin - as he does for so many in the BMW 2002 tribe... and I've even told Wendy that if anything happens to me... Rob gets my tii. It's the closest I have to a Last Will and Testament. Anyway - He and Jenna need our help. Please boost the signal where you feel it's appropriate!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Well done Ray.

Being one of the early faq members, I remember the awful event happening.

Best wishes to Jenna & Rob and hope things take a turn for the better real soon.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I too remember that traumatic day of Jenna's accident.  She and Rob (and Cooper too) have been on our church's prayer list ever since.  We cannot let this happen to them.  

And since I drive 29, 47 and 51 year old cars and still have a flip phone, you may not be surprised at my question (and yes, I looked on the GoFundMe web site for the answer):  how does one donate?  In the olden days one would mail a check but I'm sure there are (unexplained on the GoFundMe web site) electronic methods of doing this.  Please elucidate for me and other old timers who are still stuck (at least automotively) in the 20th century.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Best wishes, glad you don’t need to worry about getting a new place to move. 

Edward. 

• Like 1

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

Who knew Ray was such a philanthropist.

Donated because Rob is an OG and us young dudes need to set a reasonable example for you old dudes and your futures. 

Edited by danco_
  • Like 3

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

I frickin love you guys.   ❤️

I'm copying and pasting what I wrote under Paul's post on FB:

Thank you everyone, Paul and Harry (and Ray) specifically, as well as everyone (else) who contributed and/or shared, or just wished us well. I love these cars with all my heart and soul, and I love this community more. But more than anything I love my wife Jenna and the little poop she made named Cooper (now age 17 and about to join the Air Force next year). Her accident in 2004 was life-changing in a lot of different ways.

With the nearly-fatal brain injury, combined with her pre-existing bipolar disorder, her life for the first three years after the accident was a living hell, for her mostly but for me by extension. Fortunately we eventually found a doctor (after seeing dozens all over the country) who got her on medications that help her stay calm, for the most part. She still suffers on a daily basis and it is my full-time, unpaid job to keep her spirits up and keep her safe. It is the hardest job I've ever had (and I used to work on Mercedeses ;-p), but also the most rewarding thing I can imagine doing.

Because I can't work outside the home under the circumstances, that is why we live hand-to-mouth. I know we aren't alone in that, sadly, especially now with the virus and record unemployment. And I am deeply humbled and grateful for the support and brotherhood I have found in this community of fellow 02 lovers. I remember the night I started my 02 after taking it 100% apart and putting it back together again, and crying like a kid I was so happy. It's so stupid but hearing it spark to life after taking it apart piece by piece, front-to-back, and then reversal-ing that whole process over I don't even remember how many months. I also vividly remember the moment I thought of the idea for the 02 FAQ after seeing the same questions over and over on the old Roadfly board, and the same "use the search" answers. From that idea and a lot of work by me and Steve and the other initial contributors (and countless more Steve) since, nobody needs to say "use the search". They just say "check the FAQ", instead. ;)    

You guys are the best, and remember we're only caretakers. The reason why I don't own an 02 right now is I saw what was happening to mine, knew I didn't have the means or place to keep it safe (from rust) and decided it needed a better caretaker. It was one of the hardest things I had to do but I know I did the right thing despite taking an absolute bath in the process. She is now dry, completely rust free, and someone else's (waves to Reggie) long-term project destined to sport an S14 someday. And maybe someday I'll buy her back... :)❤️

I will also say that my landlord has been pretty awesome. He mostly leaves us alone and I take care of all the little BS that comes up in a normal rental. When something breaks, I take care of it and charge him for the parts. In exchange for that he has kept our rent under-market for all this time. But now that he has decided to sell, that will come to an end and we are looking at at least a $200+/month rent increase on top of having to move out of the place we've been in for nine years. But we'll figure something out.

Thank you again VERY much.
-Rob and Family

Edited by robspeed
typos
  • Like 5

You and Jenna have been continually in my prayers since that day, Rob. I was thinking of you off and on in the weeks before seeing this - guess there was a reason! Glad to be able to do something small in a material way too. 

-Dave

• Like 1

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Thank you @ray_ for raising the awareness here. @danco_ your comment made me laugh:) I guess it's nice to be able to find a laugh these days amongst rough news. I joined the FAQ in '02, same year I bought my first one. Rob is indeed OG. You're gonna get through this man. 

• Like 2

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002