• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do about front strut inserts?

tdskip

It looks like Bilsteins are supposed to be available again sometime in August, but I don’t think that’s definitive.  I checked and I don’t seem to be a lot of options other than KYB which, at least in the Porsche 914 community, people would rather drink razor blades than use.

Go with Koni yellow or cross my fingers for August?

What would you all do?

Hope it was a good day for everyone.

Edited by tdskip

KYBs--gone on my '69 at 35k miles: Bilsteins--still going strong on my '73 at 140k + miles.  And if they're still imported, DeCarbons (they invented gas shocks) seem to be everlasting.  The rears on my '69 were installed at 74k and are still firm at 227k...I actually wore out the rubber mounting bushings and had to replace 'em, but the shocks themselves are fine.

Interestingly, I had a Koni front strut insert actually break apart inside the strut tube--this was back in the early 1970s when Konis were red.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Depends on when you were planning to get the car back on the road. Koni's are perfectly good. I wouldn't hesitate if I wanted my car up and running. You''re doing the rear shocks too, right?

If my car was down for the summer/fall anyway, I'd hold off to wait and see. At that point there would be no rush to order anything.

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Thanks for the discussion.

@NYNick - I need the car up and running, trying to avoid doing things twice and spending money twice but have some time pressure to get the Tii running and driving.

SOP is to do all four in the same series/spec/manufacturer (as I am sure pretty much everyone does but I makes me sound like I am slightly less clueless to actually write it out, so there it is).

Edited by tdskip

Bilstein’s seem more popular than Koni’s these days, but I don’t recall that being the case during the 1970’s. I ran and loved Koni’s — fortunately never experiencing Mike’s strut failure. I admit, today I have Bilsteins on both ‘02’s — hey, they were in stock everywhere when I needed shocks! ?

In my long view, however, Koni’s are also great shocks for an ‘02.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, tomphot said:

Hasn’t Bilstein been playing the “back in stock in 3 Months” game for a couple years now?

Oh - well that would be a kick in a certain part of my anatomy.

Koni options show on back order from Summit too.

I prefer Koni to Bilstone- wouldn't hesitate to put single adjustable yellow all the way around.

t

thinks Bilstone has been popular for a long time, based on what came out of

parts cars over the last couple of decades.  

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I picked up my Koni's at Tire Rack a couple of weeks ago. They had a sale going on.  So far they were easy to adjust and install and I will be making adjustments based on TobyB's recommendations... also needed to wait for replacement spring pads.  Hit me up if you want my details of the project.

Los...

• Like 1

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

Bilstein’s seem more popular than Koni’s these days, but I don’t recall that being the case during the 1970’s. I ran and loved Koni’s — fortunately never experiencing Mike’s strut failure. I admit, today I have Bilsteins on both ‘02’s — hey, they were in stock everywhere when I needed shocks! ?

In my long view, however, Koni’s are also great shocks for an ‘02.

Regards,

Steve

Yup, back in the day Koni's were all the rage. Those 02's would try anything to keep up with 911's. ; )

• Haha 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

I really had to scour around to find a pair of Koni yellows when one of my billies blew. Oddly, it basically broke apart in the strut housing, similar to what Mike recounted above, a brand new Bilstein with under 3,000 miles!

Anyway, Blunt found a pair for me, but one was on one side of the planet, and the other was somewhere else.

We need dampers!!!

I really want some DA Konis, FTW!

Edited by d.hitchcock