• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This article never ever ever gets old

bmw_e30

That entire article is in a frame on the wall in my garage!  A true classic read!  I enjoy seeing David E. Davis in youtube clips also!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

The pictures with this version of "Turn Your Hymnals"--except for the first (blurred) image of an '02 at speed aren't from the original story.  As HB Chris points out, they're of a '69--and an automatic at that--taken from a later C&D story.  Automatics didn't appear until June '69 or so.  

My favorite quotes:

our unshakable belief that we can find and marry a pretty girl who will expertly cook, scrub floors, change diapers, keep the books, and still be the greatest thing since the San Francisco Earthquake in bed. 

and

nor will they be those pitiful men/boys who buy cars and use them as falsies for fleshing out baggy jockstraps. 

And just so you know you can really "turn your hymnal to 2002"--here it is: a supplementary United Methodist Hymnal--I knew there was a reason I'm a Methodist 

Turn Your Hymnals to 2002.JPG

Edited by mike
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Here’s the original article, as photographed from the April 1968 Car and Driver.

According to comments from Byron and Mike, the tested and photographed car is VIN 1660002 (manufactured December 12, 1967), which still survives. It is a factory Polaris car with sunroof, albeit painted red currently.

Regards,

Steve

888495F1-93A8-4507-93B6-3EE517CFD933.jpeg

B5103E25-C8FE-4D45-B567-B645B0053067.jpeg

058321B0-84AA-4780-A977-B2CF6B81D41F.jpeg

20A1E652-3321-428E-9AC0-BD3A3F5FCE05.jpeg

5876FDD0-BBA8-4C1C-B245-475B14A4B3B3.jpeg

CFB2D66F-E472-454F-9DE1-666BC21D4CAB.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I remember reading that article when it came out.  I still have the magazine somewhere.  Shortly after reading it I bought my 1600 and once I finished with the break in procedure at 1200 miles I had to see if his claims of blowing away porsches and British sport cars was true.  For the most part they were, but there were two surprises I won’t forget.  First time was when a two seater British sports car pulled up next to me at a red light on the El Camino in San Mateo.  When the light turned green, he was spinning his tires and was gone.  I later learned it was a sunbeam tiger with a small block ford V8.  Next time was when I was leaving Yosemite Valley heading to Tuolumne Meadows.  I spotted an Austin Healey with a roll bar and thought “no big deal”.  I challenged him to a race and he just kind of grinned, leaned down, put on a helmet and was gone.  When we met up later I learned he had an in-line Chevy 6 cylinder with 3 webers.  I know I surprised a lot of people In my little red box, but I will never forget these two surprises.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, iinca said:

"the 2002 is most certainly the best $2850 sedan in the whole cotton-picking world"

I've thought about this before, and even when you take into account inflation that comes out to about $20,000 in today's dollars.  Only 20k! That's like base-model Corolla money!  Can you imagine if you could go to a dealership and pick between bringing home a brand new corolla or a BRAND NEW 2002?!? I'd need to Uber back and forth so I could buy 3 or 4!!!

• Haha 1

Way back in early '79 I walked into the Santa Clara BMW dealer to get a couple of parts for a quick fixit.  On one of those revolving literature displays there were many copies of the original article (as noted above by Conserv).  I managed to grab a few after getting my parts.

Then a couple of weeks later I was in Saddleback BMW (Mission Viejo) and there was another stack, so I grabbed a few of those.

They are still in my "receipts" folder. 

Cheers,

Carl

1 hour ago, OriginalOwner said:

... I managed to grab a few after getting my parts.

Then a couple of weeks later I was in Saddleback BMW (Mission Viejo) and there was another stack, so I grabbed a few of those...

It’s like they say, Carl,

Some guys hoard toilet paper; some guys hoard ‘02 road tests... ?

Everyone has their own priorities! ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)