• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

different brake booster

jireland2002

Yes, I believe there are multiple (perhaps many?) different versions of the ATE T51 booster.

The tii version appears to be Part Number (Model Number?) 3.6127.0301.4, as shown on these two different samples of original ATE stickers.

Regards,

Steve

287CC562-280E-4530-A72E-A20B95CF369F.jpeg

AADFAF00-FDDD-49D0-9A53-EB05C77AED83.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 12/13/2019 at 10:09 AM, jireland2002 said:

It is a single diaphragm unit but is about 3/4" smaller in diameter that the normal 2002 unit.  It is marked ATE T51 same as the regular 2002 units. 

the T51 is used in Tiis and Ti (IIRC) and other six cylinder cars from BMW, but not the standard 2002, which has a different MC diameter. Mercedes and other cars used the T51 as well.

The 3.6127-0301.4 is paired with a master cylinder diameter of 23.81mm. from the catalog of complete units.

Also 3.2123-6802.3

Somewhere I have what those numbers mean but will have to dig further.

My rebuilder tells me it is a dual diaphragm design, and is made in several diameters 6",7",8" and 9".

Did you know that you are supposed to service / clean the filter under the accordion boot?

Of course we all do that.

HTH

• Like 1

So here's a bit more for deciphering the sticker:

03.61dy-xxxx.4 ➜ 30nnnn T51

Where, from Mercedes:

d =
2 = 6’’
3 = 7’’
4 = 8’’

5 = 9’’
6 = 10’’

and Y=

0 = Einfachgerät (simple)
5 = Tandemgerät (Tandem)

3 = Einfachgerät BA
8 = Einfachgerät BA
BA = Bremsassistent
Z = Zugankerbremsgeräte

My sources do not include a Y of 7, but I'll go with Tandem.

30nnnn is the "short number" for ATE, but is not on the sticker and I suppose is for the booster only, whereas 010186 is for the booster and MC as a unit.

I can't readily find the -xxxx.4 identification.

Show us your stickers in Brake Booster trivial pursuit!

• Like 2

Alfa also used the t51 in the 164's, and maybe the Montreals...

I used to run track days with the local Alfa clubs when those cars

still lapped, and it was fun doing the parts- bin search for parts.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 1 month later...

Anyone tried or heard of someone that adapted one of those generic dual diaphragm 7' ones that are listed in Amazon/Ebay??. 

From the (poor) data available in the listings, the bracket mounting bolt pattern is different and, most surely, the rear pushrod would require to be modified. Given the lack of good old tii ones I was wondering whether this could be a way to go.