• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new gig: Not ‘02-related but awesomely car related!

COOP

Given how much time I have spent on the FAQ over the years, I feel it’s not inappropriate (mlytle can tell me otherwise, J/K) to post about this and to share an exciting, car-related career move here with you all, my “2002 peeps.”

As of April 1, I’m the Events Director for Fantasy Junction In Emeryville, CA (see www.fantasyjunction.com and also see http://www.fantasyjunction.com/Articles/view/15). As such, it will be my job to represent FJ (a father/son, vintage, exotic, collectible car consignment business that was started 42 years ago) at all kinds of events (Concours d’Elegances, auctions, car club driving events, enthusiast car shows, etc) all over the country and in Europe as well.

My responsibilities will consist of 4 areas: 1. Sales of the 50-80 incredible cars that they have in inventory at any given time; 2. Consignment acquisitions from the collector community; 3. Vehicle locations for collectors; 4. Marketing & PR, in other words getting FJ’s name out in the community to new/more potential customers.

The company has a flawless reputation based on how they treat their clients (100% honesty & integrity), but they’ve never had anyone going to these events on their behalf and they have no desire to attend themselves after a busy work week. Both father and son are prolific vintage racers and so they’re usually at the track at every possible free moment.

My first assignment is this weekend at the La Jolla Concours d’Elegance (see: https://www.lajollaconcours.com). Should be fun! I’m leaving Friday afternoon, returning Sunday night. I will be attending all kinds of cool car related events and parties tied to the Concours and am ready to dive in to a new chapter of my professional life.

A huge part (actually everything!) of my job is networking/relationships. I’d be grateful if you could wrack your brains and think hard about whether you know anyone who I should connect with (car collectors, wealthy automobile enthusiasts, etc). Any referrals would be much appreciated. Finally, please look me up if you’re planning to be in La Jolla this weekend.

Best,

Daniel Cooper (COOP)

coopspeed@gmail.com (FJ email not set up yet)

M 415 994-5061

Edited by COOP
  • Like 8

My lord! I always wanted to work there. Congratulations!!!

They sold our Lotus 7 S2 1500 Cosworth about 20 yrs ago and also handled a friend's Type 35B that was driven by Bouriat to a 3rd place finish at the '30 (or '31) Monaco GP.

If you/they are ever in need of help at any event or w/photography, I would love to be of assistance.

Congratulations once again, you're certainly deserving of it and they are very fortunate to have you.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

As far as referrals or connections go, I don't think I can be of any help as I grew up in the Bay Area and still live here which means that they likely know 100% of the people that I know.

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

And you’re getting paid to do this?.... ?

Congrats, COOP!  Why do I suspect this will lead to new and exciting acquisitions for you?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

23 minutes ago, 1936spyder said:

As far as referrals or connections go, I don't think I can be of any help as I grew up in the Bay Area and still live here which means that they likely know 100% of the people that I know.

Thank you so much for the kind words. I’m “over the moon” about it as the Brits say! 

Those are some incredibly interesting cars that you mention there! I’m sure the owners remember them well, they’re uncanny in that regard.

As as far as local referrals go, that would be absolutely quite alright. Bruce & Spencer have encouraged me to connect with their existing clients/prospects and in fact have given me several to call. I guess the logic is that the more relationships and connections I can make, the better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, COOP said:

Thank you so much for the kind words. I’m “over the moon” about it as the Brits say! 

Those are some incredibly interesting cars that you mention there! I’m sure the owners remember them well, they’re uncanny in that regard.

As as far as local referrals go, that would be absolutely quite alright. Bruce & Spencer have encouraged me to connect with their existing clients/prospects and in fact have given me several to call. I guess the logic is that the more relationships and connections I can make, the better.

Actually, we're more likely to say......happier than a dog in a butchers shop.

Good luck with the new venture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2 hours ago, COOP said:

...I should connect with (car collectors, wealthy automobile enthusiasts, etc)...

Well, guess I'm out. I feel wealthy when I spend more than $1500 on a car!!

Congrats man! I envy you! Sounds like a really good time!

• Thanks 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

That is pretty awesome, and sounds like a good bit of fun.  That said, its sales so there is always that pressure to perform (sell, connect or whatever), but then that is the world we live in (unless you are a trusty, lotto winner, hard worker that stuff all your dough in a mattress, etc.,).  Being able to be around what you love and to get paid for it (enough to live in the Bay Area) is...……...unique.  Best of luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Markmac! You got that right, it sounds glamorous (and parts of it certainly are), but it’s not going to be an easy job at all and the pressure is there to perform. They’re certainly not going to spend thousands of dollars sending me to events just for kicks! Having said that, I’ve been Internet Sales Manager and then Director at two Mercedes-Benz dealerships for the past 15 years and so I feel well-suited for this amazing new opportunity. My previous job has also given me some great contacts to work with. I’m ready to give it my all!

• Like 1

Hey congrats COOP. I love FJ. I work all of a mile or so away so swing by their every now and then for inspiration. I was actually just there yesterday to see the early “periscopo” Countach they have in stock as I’ve never seen one in the flesh before. 

Next time I stop by I’ll see if you are there to introduce myself. Congrats again. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot for the congrats, Grover...Ah yes, the Tahitian Blue Periscopo, that car is simply stunning and such a pure expression of the original, Gandini design that shocked the world at Geneva in 1971.

For the most part, I’ll be working from home when I’m not at events...but I’ll definitely be going in a couple of times per week to stay on top of the inventory and to bond with my new team. FJ also has some incredible reference books/materials which are a treasure trove of information. Please do text me (# in my original post) and we’ll definitely meet up!

COOP,

Your no gig sounds like a car enthusiast's dream,  so awesome to be around the history and pure craftsmanship/design of all those cars.  When I was working a customer's Siata 208s and Fiat 8V Zagato, I would stare at all the cars at FJ on their website... 

I wish you the best in your new found career.

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fantasy Junction = fantasy job.  Way to go...now you have an excuse to visit events east of the Mississippi!

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite