• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spare Parts list

ingramlee

Does anyone have a list of recommended spare parts you carry when driving your 2002 on long trips that you care to share. I thought I remember seeing one here before but cant seem to find it right now. Thanks.

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

I also carry the old set of hoses that I changed out if their not to bad, and a few clamps for them. also a 10" piece of  steel plumbers tape for exhaust  hanger repair.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I regularly drive on long trips and tend to over maintain my '73 Tii. Regular service and checks are standard operating procedure. When in doubt, swap it out. Preparedness is the key to successful road trips.

Logged 18,099 miles from April 17 -November 17 2018. 90,000 since June 9 2010. Only failures were a water pump in 2015 & rear wheel bearings in April & October 2018.

I carry lightbulbs, fuses, a toolbox with a ratchet set & screw drivers, extra fuel cap, hood roundel, fan & K-fisch belts.

I know several people who carry a trunk load of parts & store parts under the back seat. They are the ones who tend to help others in need yet rarely use the stuff they carry. 

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

3 minutes ago, adawil2002 said:

I regularly drive on long trips and tend to over maintain my '73 Tii. Regular service and checks are standard operating procedure. When in doubt, swap it out. Preparedness is the key to successful road trips.

Logged 18,099 miles from April 17 -November 17 2018. 90,000 since June 9 2010. Only failures were a water pump in 2015 & rear wheel bearings in April & October 2018.

I carry lightbulbs, fuses, a toolbox with a ratchet set & screw drivers, extra fuel cap, hood roundel, fan & K-fisch belts.

I know several people who carry a trunk load of parts & store parts under the back seat. They are the ones who tend to help others in need yet rarely use the stuff they carry. 

Thanks Andrew. I'm just trying to get ready for the Mike Self Caravan to Mid America in a couple months.

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

20 minutes ago, adawil2002 said:

Guilty as charged.  We stuff the very ample storage area under the rear seat with:

water pump

fan belt

complete hose set with clamps

electric and mechanical fuel pumps

fuel hose

fuel filters

carb rebuild kits, down and side draft

complete ignition parts- wires, condensers, points, plugs, coil, rotor, cap

distributor

vacuum hose

valve cover gasket

windshield wipers

oil filter

relays, fuses, various gauges of wires and spade connectors

However, we draw the line at putting a floor jack back there.  I mean, we are not completely bonkers about bringing everything.  No, the floor jack doesn't go under the back seat.  The floor jack goes behind the passenger seat of course.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

27 minutes ago, ingramlee said:

Thanks Andrew. I'm just trying to get ready for the Mike Self Caravan to Mid America in a couple months.

Cool, glad you are joining us. We always have a great time. 

You have time to go through the car and take care of the easy stuff that can strand you.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

4 minutes ago, adawil2002 said:

Cool, glad you are joining us. We always have a great time. 

You have time to go through the car and take care of the easy stuff that can strand you.

Yep! I had such a blast with you guys last year I thought I'd do it again. Looking forward.

Am thinking if you service and run your car on a weekly basis, you would know if the car will have issues for a big road trip, I know for a fact that my radiator is giving me some minor issues, so come April or sooner, it's time to upgrade to a new radiator, and while am it, the water pump, thermostat and a new fan, so it will run smoother in my (Houston) nasty heat !

59 minutes ago, Mario Falfan said:

Am thinking if you service and run your car on a weekly basis, you would know if the car will have issues for a big road trip,

In my "Bag of tricks"/ coleman box/ plastic tray :

I carry a can of Tire Fix, a roll of the stretchy self sealing silicone tape (for fixing hoses), the "old" belts that you already replaced, a length of high pressure fuel hose (Tii) a few clamps and a few essential tools including a hammer and long big screwdriver for whacking the fuel pump or starter when they go sideways so that you can finish the trip and go home.

A 2" tow strap, because tow trucks, or your brethren, probably won't have that when you get stuck in 2' of snow and have to be pulled backwards for a mile to the road. Or is that just me?

new"ish" flares because you never know when you want to start a fire or explore mines in Colorado.

Smallish First Aid Kit. See above.

Really old nylon rain jacket and pants.....cause yer going to git durty.

The "donut" extra gas can in the spare tire well; full of course, because others will need (it as you KNOW how far you can get in the red on your gas gauge.)

And the piece de resistance: a multi folding pink flamingo "Happy Birthday" banner. Because the occasion may arise when you  just might NEED that.

The fire extinguisher is under the front seat, again for others.

Get your shop on.