• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strut dent opinion

dave-r

So I finally got tired of waiting for Bilsteins to become available again so I ordered a set of Koni adjustable shocks. When I received my order the main outer box was undamaged but one of the strut boxes inside was damaged. There is a couple small dents on the exterior...not sure if this is purely an outer tube or is this the surface the piston inside rides on??

Full disclaimer-- I am not trying to put down a supplier/shipper or anyone else as I am sure they will send me a new one..just curious more than anything. Thanks!!5d342f70fc8d8e985d2b713db2754854.jpg20b40c23890d5682291cc71b63ec1e00.jpg1c6a250be8e0aab8672de3c22a8bb536.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dave R.

1975 Inka 2002a

Can you feel anything (change in resistance etc) when compressing the strut through that area? What about rebound?

How about a comparison with the other side (which is presumably undamaged)?

Aside from being pissed it got damaged in shipping and warranting replacement, if there is no detectable difference between damaged and undamaged I would run it (if I couldn’t get it replaced). 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

All depends on how the structure works. If the outer case is just a container for an oil bath and the internal surface isn't something that a seal or piston rides on, I'd use it. It's going inside of a heavy sealed strut tube to not be seen for another 10 years....

Edited by 2002Scoob

For sure just have them send you a new one.

But say that's the last one on the planet.  I believe the Koni's are 'twin-tube' shocks.  So that means there's another tube inside that the piston actually slides up and down in and that outer tube is just the fluid reservoir (yeah, structural as well)- as the rod goes into the shock, the fluid has to go somewhere, so it goes between the inner tube and the outer tube- so as long as the dents don't deform the inner tube it would probably be fine to run...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

I would put that thing on and life goes on...

The dent appears cosmetic.. You can even or might want to try to pull up a cross cut image of that exact shocks and see if the dent would actually impact anything 

And mention the situation to the supplier maybe they’d consider a slight refund and or something off if the next purchase 

Good luck 

Ira

So they agreed to return it..but it is apparently totally an external tube and serves only as a reservoir to hold oil from the dampener system, according to Koni tech.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dave R.

1975 Inka 2002a