• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Pads ?

doza59

It depends on what you are using the car for, as it is really subjective unless you want to learn about friction coefficients, brake balance, and all that stuff.

If you are just tooling around town and not at the track, then the OE pads are just fine; I would stay away from the "Metal Master" type pads, as they are too hard.

Just for giggles, what are you using for rear shoes?

• Like 1

I have always liked Textar, but they are no longer available for 2002's last I looked

ATE are great pads (and oem) but dusty.

Jurid are pretty similar to ATE, but maybe a bit less aggressive when cold.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I run Porterfield disc brake pads on both cars, something like an R-4: I use the version for street, not track. I like them lots!

I thought I was nearly the last ‘02 owner to switch to Porterfields, and I switched because all the cool kids were doing it.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I have some Metalmasters on the car. They're OK. I didn't like OEM because of the dust. I got tired of washing basketweaves every 250 miles...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I've been using Metalmasters from back when they were made by REPCO.  Back in the day, they were the only pads I could find that didn't squeal like stuck pigs.  Have used 'em consistently for the past 40+ years and they don't seem to wear rotors out unusually fast. 

I bought some street Porterfields for my 318is because the pads on the car qhen I bought it were the dustiest pads I'd ever seen.  One trip around the block and my basketweaves were ready for cleaning!  The Porterfields feel great and still dust, just not as much.  Nice to know they're made for 2002s--wasn't aware of that.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

22 hours ago, Conserv said:

I run Porterfield disc brake pads on both cars, something like an R-4: it’s the version for street, not track use. I like them lots!

I thought I was nearly the last ‘02 owner to switch, and I switched because all the cool kids were doing it.

Regards,

Steve

Porterfield is the way to go for street car if you care about performance.  R4S is the compound.  R4 is the track day compound.  I have used both on 02's.

Metal manglers suck.  Horrible pedal feel and performance.   They are cheap though.......and act it.  I tried then a LONG time ago.  Literally took them off and threw them away after about 200 miles.

Edited by mlytle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2xM3

I'm with Mike on this.  Been using Metalmasters since the '70's.  Never had a problem with excessive rotor wear.  When I upgraded to vented rotors several years ago, I paid too much attention to stories about excess rotor wear and tried Jurids (I think, or some OEM brand).  I could not get those suckers to stop squealing (tried lubrication, anti-squeal sprays, etc.).  Switched back to Metalmasters and squealing was gone.  What a relief.  

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

1 hour ago, Andy74tii said:

Seeing all the positive comments about the Porterfields... where can you buy these?

Andy,

I'm hoping Santa brings you Google!  ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)