• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single stage paint vs. double: Which looks "better?"

D Seattle

SS Glazurit Granada. My buddy had never even heard of the Glazurit brand, much less, ever shot it. He’s an OCD kinda guy ( which is a good thing if you want a quality product). The paint is damned expensive and Mitch spent many hours polishing... It is pretty amazing. 

A66C06BE-BBBD-410F-9CF5-90C9FFEDFC39.thumb.jpeg.0a6ec33f3db6b91a8beef18cbc0b07a5.jpeg

CA416E3C-F1D2-46E7-9482-0C5B1318C43D.thumb.jpeg.e36e58a382b454f668910fbc7e6a8b43.jpeg

Would I do it again? Probably. 

Ed

• Like 4

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

1 hour ago, zinz said:

SS Glazurit Granada. My buddy had never even heard of the Glazurit brand, much less, ever shot it. He’s an OCD kinda guy ( which is a good thing if you want a quality product). The paint is damned expensive and Mitch spent many hours polishing... It is pretty amazing. 

A66C06BE-BBBD-410F-9CF5-90C9FFEDFC39.thumb.jpeg.0a6ec33f3db6b91a8beef18cbc0b07a5.jpeg

CA416E3C-F1D2-46E7-9482-0C5B1318C43D.thumb.jpeg.e36e58a382b454f668910fbc7e6a8b43.jpeg

Would I do it again? Probably. 

Ed

Hubba hubba!

• Like 1

My painter advised that the modern single stage and the dual stage clear coat look the same.  (Hear me out)  On top of that if there is a painting error, dscc can be corrected easily.  The ss will have a tell-tale of the error-repair.

Now, old-school lacquer paint is a totally different process that only a few shops do.  So, there is a cost differential and wear issue to contend with.  But it does have the period correct texture/shine and maintenance needs.

My car is being redone as driver and not a concourse restoration.  (Got several 320 drivetrain bits, seats and I am using the 02 Bumper stainless) So durability is more important.  (But it will reside in a garage year long.)  The good thing I am seeing is that I am working with BASF/Glasurit brands, so a color match should be spot-on and seeing the Verona 02 above, I am encouraged by the overall presentation of that color in that photo.  

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

New here, although long time lurker, and I'm late to this party.. 

However, it would have to be two stage, and I've had numerous cars painted from paint to sell, driver quality through concours level.  Understand some like single stage, especially if they're restoring for "originality," but a good base coat/clear coat job is the way to go.  The old colors really pop w/the modern chemical formulas, repairs are more forgiving and easier to get a good match, and for a metallic color, 2 stage is the only way to go.  It also allows you to build the clear coat, wet-sand and buff numerous times for a desired gloss with-out fear of cutting into the color.. scratches can easily be buffed away if you or your paint or detailer knows what their doing.

Although many have consolidated, there are still a number of good brands to choose from as well, Glasurit, Sikkens, Spies/Hecker, PPG, and some of the other BASF lines.. in other words there are options that can save you some money and deliver a nice finish.  Single stage is great but it will never look like or equal a quality 2-stage job.

Good luck whichever direction you choose!

Cannot imagine every using a single stage paint with what is available in clear coat based coat.   To get a really solid paint job follow basic approach.  For example take the very boring color of Sahara Tan and look at it in single vs. clear coat base coat.   Just no comparison the clear coat base coat looks so much better, shinier, durable

1. if you can strip car to bare metal or at least original primer

2. spend a bit extra and seal entire car in a epoxy primer

3. then do you body work on top of the epoxy using 2K build primer

4. block , block , block

5. test straightness of finish wiping down car with deglosser / degreaser.. .keep blocking checking

6. using a base coat... you actually can save $ and use basic base coat product as long as you get product in right color ?

7. now spend extra $ on your clear coat like a PPG 2021 clear.    

3 coats of base and clear optimal as you don't want a finish that is to thick !

There are numerous benefits to clear coat base coat and really cannot think of a superior feature of single stage paint ?   

Note, if you ever want to know what paint is on a car just take a dab of rubbing compound and rub the car if the color of the car comes off is a single stage if no color a clear coat

Good luck... 

I guess I'll be the lone weirdo who likes using sing stage paint, at least for solid colors (you pretty much have to go with base/clear for metallics).  If you're a DIY type like me and can either borrow a booth (or build a temporary one in your garage like I do) you can get good results with single stage paints and they are far less of a pain in the ass to use, since you only have to paint it once.

Both of these cars were painted at home using single stage PPG paints, and I plan on doing my 2002 in the same when I get around to it (Malaga).  Now of course neither of these cars will be on the lawn at Pebble Beach, but I'm proud to drive them and they look fantastic for cars I regularly use.

UbvLj5C.jpg

20180429_163830.jpg

Edited by \\\Mink
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, \\\Mink said:

I guess I'll be the lone weirdo who likes using sing stage paint, at least for solid colors (you pretty much have to go with base/clear for metallics).  If you're a DIY type like me and can either borrow a booth (or build a temporary one in your garage like I do) you can get good results with single stage paints and they are far less of a pain in the ass to use, since you only have to paint it once.

Both of these cars were painted at home using single stage PPG paints, and I plan on doing my 2002 in the same when I get around to it (Malaga).  Now of course neither of these cars will be on the lawn at Pebble Beach, but I'm proud to drive them and they look fantastic for cars I regularly use.

UbvLj5C.jpg

20180429_163830.jpg

I like your stable of cars. Fun Drivers,  each with its own flavor. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me.