• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600 Plastic Chrome Dash Pieces - in Green ?

73tiiDavidPA

Hello,

I told the shop owner I'd try to help solve a mystery for him.  I'm trying to be a nice guy so he'll convince the owner of the partially assembled '66 1600 to sell it to me as a project at a good price.  

So... he's convinced that the car ('66 1600) came with Green plastic dash pieces.  I think it's just mold / some sort of bad aging going on.  He's also having problems finding the curved pieces.  He also says there was matching green trim on the steering wheel that is now disappeared.  

Has anyone ever seen a Green interior trimmed (dash accents - not seats) early car?  The original color of the car is Bristol.  

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3776.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG

IMG_3778.JPG

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

Definitely not on the green. The pieces you are showing have the typical oxidation/deterioration you see when exposed to a humid environment.

I'm sure those pieces have been NLA for a long time, being that they were only present for a few years prior to 1970. Perhaps there is someone out there that might be able to reproduce them.

• Like 2

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)

I’m not positive with an answer to your question, But I will say my ‘75 2002 has the same type of coloring to the center ashtray handle when I got it(it was left in a field for many years,if you take your finger to those “green” parts you have and gently rub an area lightly with water does it come off? Mine looked the same way as your pics do and when I rubbed with my finger lightly the green color came off and the shinny aluminum shows through... my guess as someone said oxidation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, Tsingtao_1903 said:

Do you have a volt meter to check if the surface is conductive?

Yes.... but I'm not sure I have the proper CIS outfit to wear while I tested it (though it is close to Halloween).  

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

27 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

The steering wheel is correct for that early 1600, there may have been an additional "chrome" trim ring around the perimeter of the wheel that oxidized green before disappearing.

I had a 67, #1528890, with that steering wheel.  on my steering wheel there was no additional chrome ring around the perimeter

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

3 hours ago, Driv3r said:

I have the glove box and ashtray chrome pieces in my spare stash and I can assure you they're not plastic. They're either anodised aluminium or chromed metal.

96bc56bb308336c32e1162f6e668a3cc.jpg

I think only the glove box chrome trim and ash tray are metal, the rest is plastic and the plastic pieces are still available. The chrome glove box trim and ash tray might be NLA

Edited by Coastalcrush408
  • Like 1

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329

4 minutes ago, Coastalcrush408 said:

I think only the glove box chrome trim and ash tray are metal, the rest is plastic and the plastic pieces are still available. The chrome glove box trim and ash tray might be NLA

+1

The chrome-trimmed dashboard remained the only dashboard outside the U.S. until April 1971.  Besides those pieces still available new, used pieces do show up regularly in the European market.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

If you check a copy of Hemmings Motor News in the "services offered" section, you'll find several places that will re-plate plastic with chrome.   Lots of American cars of the 60s and 70s have chrome plated plastic so there's a market for replating 'em.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

In fact ashtray and glovebox is metal, the rest is plastic. I have had a lot of pre 3/71 cars, this is normal standard, we do not have that special US cockpit for the early cars. The plastic pieces are still available at BMW. How long?

20170107_172816.jpg