• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought my dream car last week: An introduction.

Jedidiah

Excellent purchase. Nice color.  Sunroof.  Great wheels.  Welcome.

Let the good-times begin.

Are you getting new drums?  Yours may be at the end of their life.  I trick I used: clear-coat the outside surface of the new (bare metal) drums.  It won't last forever but while they are shiny metal, they would look REALLY good behind those spokes.  My clear-coat has lasted 5 years.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

5 minutes ago, mataku527 said:

I came from a similar place as you, dream car, wanted a car to learn on.  Yours seems like a better place to start.  I definitely understand the frustration when something breaks and you can't fix it; however, when you are on the road, it is definitely a different beast.  I made sure to get the AAA gold and have had to use it once already since I've had the car for 3 months - ended up being a split fuel line. The car actually stalled again on the side of the road, luckily I was able to trace it back to a ignition coil plug that somehow just popped off.  (after being on the side for almost 30 minutes of a busy street and AAA on their way). 

Since I've had the car - I've learned quite a bit and hope to learn more.  Just be patient, have a back up plan and take your time.   I do have a 1999 civic that I use when the 2002 is out of commission, I think this gives me time to work on it rather than sending it out.  The forums have been a good help and local owners are even better.  

Best of luck with the new car, it looks really great.

One of the first projects I have in mind is to replace the drums, and the calipers on the front. really I'd like to replace/upgrade the entire braking system eventually. I have a clutch slave cylinder leak that needs fixing too. On both the calipers and the drums I fully intend on not only applying a clear coat, but some caliper paint as well. Just to make it look nice. I'm thinking black with a blue and white stripe.

Great suggestion though! Hope we both have a blast with our cars!

• Like 1

Hello 2002 FAQ Members

I am very excited to say as of Wednesday last week I joined y'all as a 2002 owner!

Initially, I was going to have the car shipped to me. It was near Newark, NJ, and I live in Austin Texas. It's an 1800 mile voyage.

Congratulations on a nice buy. I love your story. If it wasn't an adventure with unexpected turns, madcap driving and innovative solutions, it wouldn't be a classic car story.

I'm about to do the same, only longer. The two of us are driving a '74 BMW 2002tii that I picked up in February from Ottawa to Vancouver. I think we need our heads examined.

Railcar shipping requires 5" clearance and I've got 3.5". Semi trailer shipping is $3,300 Canadian. So yeah, we're driving. Five days, fifty hours and 4,500 km (2,800 miles). Lots of podcasts, music, and adventure. But no air conditioning. Ack.

I hope we solve our surprises as well as you did.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, yvrclimber said:

Congratulations on a nice buy. I love your story. If it wasn't an adventure with unexpected turns, madcap driving and innovative solutions, it wouldn't be a classic car story.

I'm about to do the same, only longer. The two of us are driving a '74 BMW 2002tii that I picked up in February from Ottawa to Vancouver. I think we need our heads examined.

Railcar shipping requires 5" clearance and I've got 3.5". Semi trailer shipping is $3,300 Canadian. So yeah, we're driving. Five days, fifty hours and 4,500 km (2,800 miles). Lots of podcasts, music, and adventure. But no air conditioning. Ack.

I hope we solve our surprises as well as you did.

Look forward to updates and pictures!!!

• Like 1

"To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down. - Car and Driver Magazine April,1968 

Welcome (at long last) to the fraternity/sorority!  Great looking car--love that color--and kudos for driving it home.  My friend Jim just drove a '73 he recently purchased in Denver back to Dayton without a hitch.  

We expect to see you and your car at Mid-America 02Fest in Eureka Springs next April.  Your fellow Austin 02 owners can tell you all about it.  I lived in Austin back in the 60s when I was in grad school at UT.  

cheers

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

that took some 'sack' to trust a car you bought blindly on the 'Bay...I guess you didn't have it inspected when you got there? That would have been my first move to get it up on a rack'..

BUT what the fkn' hell...

you went Commando' and got 'er done! You even stopped at a ballgame...that's a journey you won't forget.

AND thank god for your relative giving you safe harbor'!

Your def' in the club now!@

Edited by iinca
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Jedidiah said:

What do you mean by sketchy?

In CA, 1975 and older vehicles are not required to get an emissions test, sooooo a 1976 2002 is the only year that its required.  They're like the plague out here and usually sell for half of what other years sell for if it stays in CA.  A lot of CA '76 2002's go on eBay because of that.

Edited by dang

I watched that car being restored at Bavarian Rennsport, Bill Holmes' shop in Ramona, CA, just outside of San Diego.  I remember it being sold on eBay when it was in San Diego and not reaching the reserve at around $19K, (which I thought was stupid money at the time), so you got a smoking deal!  You should contact Bill if questions come up on previous work and history.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

4 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

What color is the car?

The car was supposedly painted somewhere south of the border (Tijuana) in a non-BMW 2002 color and sent to Bavarian Rennsport for re-assembly.  I really liked the color, it suited the car.  All the aluminum waist trim was also redone in Tijuana, I tried to get the name of the shop for my car, but Bill said the paint shop sub-contracted it out and I never came up with a contact for stripping and polishing my anodized aluminum trim.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)