• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

I recently drove my 1600 to work 56 miles round trip on the I-15 freeway in SD maintaining 73mph. I have to admit I didn’t enjoy it being surrounded by cars a lot larger, and I told myself if I don’t start driving it more I’m going to sell it to fund another project, possibly returning to my VW roots since I miss wrenching on those cars. Here it is in the driveway after I gave it a post flight inspection. Be safe out there friends. 

IMG_1660.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, 72pdx02 said:

I recently drove my 1600 to work 56 miles round trip on the I-15 freeway in SD maintaining 73mph. I have to admit I didn’t enjoy it being surrounded by cars a lot larger, and I told myself if I don’t start driving it more I’m going to sell it to fund another project, possibly returning to my VW roots since I miss wrenching on those cars. Here it is in the driveway after I gave it a post flight inspection. Be safe out there friends. 

IMG_1660.jpeg

VW's are larger?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 72pdx02 said:

IMG_1660.jpeg

After 20 years of motorcycle commuting, my 02 feels delightfully present in traffic. You get used to being invisible on a bike, but you’re always aware of what that could mean. It’s nice to not feel that way in my 02. You can bet your grandma’s panties I still drive defensively though. I have no desire to test out the airbags in this car. 😂

image.jpeg.033c6b917dffa5b4d19902319f542c87.jpeg

edit:  who can name the car in this pic?  

Edited by Lucky 7
  • Like 3
  • Haha 11

15 hours ago, jgerock said:

Depends on the model😏

IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_2552.jpeg

I love your squareback. I’ve always wanted one of those. I’ve owned several bugs. A 61, 69 and 55. The most fun VW I owned though was my 92 GTI. I really miss that car and wish I had kept it. It took me everywhere for 14 years. Then kids came and I thought it was time to grow up and get a family car. 

IMG_1698.jpeg

IMG_1697.jpeg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

I have a very loud set of Air horns that I am going to fit, the last time I used my horn (no jokes😉) it sounded like my cat with laryngitis 🙄

I have a set of Marshal air horns that have saved me a few times. If you’re going to be small you’d better be loud. 

• Like 4

Replaced the original seats with a pair of E21 Recaros that someone reposted from Craigslist here a few years ago. Finally summoned the courage to do it myself with the help from Dave @ Aardvark BMW for the adapters. Straight forward fit and install. New seat straps as well. I used muscles I haven't called-up in years to get this done! The seats do transform the ride; I was surprised by this. So supportive and I like the look as well. Yet, I do miss the old look of the originals which I need to store properly. The old ones have the original vinyl which I want to keep for future go-back to classic look.  Cheers

IMG_3010.jpeg

IMG_3011.jpeg

IMG_3014.jpeg

IMG_3012.jpeg

Edited by ssp2019
  • Like 18

On 4/29/2024 at 1:47 AM, 72pdx02 said:

IMG_1660.jpeg

I try and avoid SD freeway driving if I can.  I usually stick to the 101 or the twisty backroads.  But when I'm on the freeway, I just assume that no one sees me, and drive accordingly...

My wife and I drove to Ojai on a Friday afternoon during LA rush hour once.  That was harrowing.  

• Like 1

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

The wet sanding continued today in preparation for cutting/buffing. Labor intensive... gotta be a love thing, no other reason to expend this much energy on something.

paint3.thumb.jpg.1ffafb0110cf9e5e558ff7c2b7932e43.jpg

• Like 16

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Posted (edited)

Installed a new distributor housing gasket Not a washer to be found when taking it off.

Know wonder it leaked so much.  Installed a 123 Distributor also, still needs a bit of tweaking

to get things correct.   

How do people handle the old condenser wire that goes nowhere now ?

Edited by jp5Touring

Posted (edited)

The under seat battery box I designed arrived from sendcutsend.com yesterday!

I'm particularly pleased that the lid snugly fits as designed.

I have to weld it up. (Oh, and paint the car and install the engine and just under a million other things ...)

I was going to go with a 51R battery, but instead, buy @Pdxguy's two Braille B2015s

There should be some room for relays, too.

C7F23EC2-8834-4D22-9EE0-1DBDEA8CE570_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.53ba8f7c81b87ae892f270947dd3d1c8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5979efa792783c001851e80a7398cc9f.jpeg

Also from sendcutsend.com - a set of sheet metal circles, big bumper rectangular holes, and floor plugs. 
If anyone is interested in them, DM me and I can send you the .dxf file so you can order your own.

AF492B25-8C59-440C-8D42-69CA2C173397_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.281576f0256659f14cf5681827fc0857.jpeg

5DBF9A62-C3F6-4F15-8AE4-9C4D15D1DEA3.heic

Edited by JQ02
  • Like 9

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024