• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

On 9/20/2023 at 12:34 AM, 72pdx02 said:

I decided to finally do something about all the dents on my drivers door. I’ve been lying to myself for too long calling it patina. Since my inner door frame was in good shape I decided to buy the MVP door skin from Ireland Engineering. Shipping was really fast (thank you) I needed to weld up the mirror holes (wont work with swan neck mirror) and sprayed epoxy primer on the backside and inner frame. I decided to use 3m panel bonding adhesive to attach the skin to frame. I mounted for a test fit and am happy with results so far. Thanks for looking. IMG_0695.thumb.jpeg.d31da820c5ab175ce262723e9fa033d2.jpegIMG_0698.thumb.jpeg.c0024aff745db70aa506cf1de5783bf0.jpeg

IMG_0705.jpeg

That looks great.  I’m debating doing this myself or trying to find a set of elusive rust free doors.  My lower inner doors have some rot, so I’d need to do some fab work in addition to these.  I’ve never glued a panel on, but this looks like the perfect application to do that.  

I imagine removal of the existing skin was the most difficult part of the job?  Any modifications required for the skins or were they pretty much ready to go?

5 hours ago, HobieDog said:

That looks great.  I’m debating doing this myself or trying to find a set of elusive rust free doors.  My lower inner doors have some rot, so I’d need to do some fab work in addition to these.  I’ve never glued a panel on, but this looks like the perfect application to do that.  

I imagine removal of the existing skin was the most difficult part of the job?  Any modifications required for the skins or were they pretty much ready to go?

It’s a bit of work but you can find a lot info on YouTube. Here is just one video to give you a idea. I used bonding adhesive because I already had some, and it keeps moisture out where metal folds over. Some people weld it on. 

• Like 1

Finally took the time to go under the car, find the BB on the flywheel and scratch a line on the flywheel edge. I'd painted it earlier but could never see it in the small hole. I added a dab of paint and timed the engine. At least now I'm confident I have it dead on. Set best lean idle.

I Burped the cooling system again and it seems to be running better than before. New Electric fan is kicking on and off so that's already an improvement. Must have had a bubble as after I'd flushed the system and added an electric fan it was still running at 205-210 deg, 2 and 1 o'clock. I'll see how it doe with daily driving.

• Like 2

I’ve been working on getting my EFI parts together and mocked up. Today I made a mounting plate for my IGN-4 coil using the 02 again dizzy plug. Hopefully I can get the crank fire timing running this weekend. Anyone know the wiring for the MS3x to Quadspark and IGN-4? The schematic online is for wiring with the ms3x plug instead of the main plug and the colors are all off. 

71710390549__FEB9506F-05A5-4871-8B81-84C75ADD6B56.jpeg

71710392356__131C84DA-F886-4FD9-9CE5-98506A2247CB.jpeg

IMG_6350.jpeg

• Like 7

While I wait for my head to come back from the machine shop I’m tackling other smaller projects. With the exhaust manifold nearly off I thought I would clean it up. Took it off, snapping one of the three studs at the downtube. They were a fight and took multiple days of soaking in PB and some heat. 
Decided to replace all three studs. Trying to take them out, by welding nuts on them, I snapped another stud. So took it to a professional, a local speed shop. He had it a couple days and managed to get them out. 
Then, after a multiple day soak in vinegar, I cleaned the manifold and painted it with Eastwood High Heat paint for manifolds. 
Im happy with the results. 

Before soak, and after paint. 

image.thumb.jpeg.53abfd240f2743d410704a9e36087682.jpeg

• Like 8

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Got a lot done today at Barney’s Money Wasters (BMW)

New brake master cylinder

Bumper re-set and mostly straight

New bushings for rear sway bar

Re-hung the muffler, it’s way more gooder

Adjusted window frames

Installed grills… looks so much better now

Re-bled #3 injector line

A very good day. Road tests coming up soon

85F14DE8-A665-483D-8FC7-BC4060F823D5.thumb.jpeg.bd6a7b71228a91d7fe72c0088b41e60f.jpeg

C5DB4682-551B-4A3C-A110-82D45FFA7352.thumb.jpeg.1d9a2100cb5586fd263d0a8efe50633e.jpeg

54BBCE50-F327-41E1-B309-0270A9060DB3.thumb.jpeg.06aa4613302717b86959fa430d6f0cae.jpeg

919C298D-8253-4C8E-984E-B09EFCDED6FE.thumb.jpeg.ebf950cd943c925d8252954b2622a591.jpeg

Barney’s beautiful early Inka is setting the standard. 😎

Barney was a huge help again today

Ed Z

• Like 19

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

I buttoned up the dash after sorting out my wiper, washer and turn signal electrical issues.  Ended up re-gluing (JB Weld) the 320i steering wheel shroud after discovering the PO had broken off all the connection nubs and attempted to glue it on.  A new 320i steering wheel shroud is NLA.  I was happy to learn that the early upper and lower pads for the early metal ignition housing fit the later one piece dash.  On to ECU and related support system setup and testing.

Mark92131

IMG_3877.JPG

IMG_3883.JPG

IMG_3885.JPG

• Like 9

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Being a glutton for punishment ... the transmissions seals are installed however prior to re-installation of the shifter mechanisms and propeller shaft I've decided to replace all of the brake lines and hoses and while waiting for those parts I'm continuing to clean up the underside of the body (including some painting) and have started the steering box seals replacement project 🤣...

• Like 3

While I wait for the head to come back from the machine shop I’m tackling some smaller projects that were on my list. 

Installed some sound deadening under the back seat. Good thing I took a photo as I now see I missed a spot on passenger wheel well lol. 
image.thumb.jpeg.17aaa05ed76c8d77bdbdd334277aa84f.jpeg

Also

started taking apart the front suspension for new bushings. In progress. 

Also continued the engine cleaning. Just did the tops of pistons and a bunch of grease removal around the driver side of the engine and passenger subframe area. 
Good time to install my engine mounts too. That will happen soon. 
image.thumb.jpeg.116851409f512dd7ef0c824c12b5cbac.jpeg

Edited by Pablo M
  • Like 3

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

8 hours ago, BeMyWay said:

Looks great.

Sorry for all the questions...But,

What type of tape did you use?

Did you reuse the old wire bundle securing clips?

This is a tape i used.

AMZN.TO

Yes, i reused the clips but cleaned them up with a wire wheel.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Does rolling her off the delivery trailer count?! New to me 76' Alpina Tribute with an A4.  Super excited to join the community and first classic for me.  Not much to do to her other than start enjoying the ride but she runs super rich and hates the cold start.  Already finding great resources here - thanks!

IMG_6728.jpeg

IMG_6729 (1).jpeg

• Like 14

After completing the task of testing and fixing all the stock electrical systems on the 1600, I have finally moved on to the electrical systems supporting the S14 swap.  I have a 6 relay fused electrical box powering all the non-stock electrical systems (Fan, Fuel Pump, Injectors, PWM ICV, O2 Sensor, ECU).  I installed a 25A fuse for the Fan relay, flipped the switch that will be installed in the center console, and the fan powered up and was blowing in the right direction.  The fan is also triggered by a thermal switch at the bottom of the radiator, but I'll test it after firing the engine.

I skipped the fuel pump test for now, but plugged a fuse into the relay for the ECU, turned on the ignition, and tried connecting to Tunerstudio, no connection?  I could hear the relay click, no no power was getting to junction for the ECU power.  I had to pull the 6 relay box and found that the wire out of the relay for the ECU had pulled out of the relay connector.  Fixed it, and ECU finally connected to Tunerstudio.  I spent some time entering sensor values (O2, CLT, IAT), selected my 1 Bar MAP sensor, and setup the TPS.  I still need to test the operation of the Bosch PWM ICV and get some feedback on settings for EDIS-4, but slowly progressing to first start.

Mark92131

IMG_3913.JPG

• Like 7

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)