• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Just swapped out my cap and rotor on the 123Distributor after extreme corrosion was cleaned up a month ago.  I'll keep the old parts as used spares.  For anyone looking for replacement 123 cap I found NAPA had s good price.

Distributor Cap (Beru)

Distributor Cap (Beru)
ATM VK106
Qty: 1
$12.99
$12.99 /each
New replacement rotor from 123 in place.  Rotor is $25 w/ $15 shipping! 

DSC_0981.JPG

• Like 4

10 hours ago, BarneyT said:

I have done nothing with the 2002s in two weeks but look at them, I took a tumble the other day, and now I need rotator cuff surgery...

Stop doing that.

;-)

• Thanks 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

35 minutes ago, 7502 said:

Just swapped out my cap and rotor on the 123Distributor after extreme corrosion was cleaned up a month ago.  I'll keep the old parts as used spares.  For anyone looking for replacement 123 cap I found NAPA had s good price.

Distributor Cap (Beru)

Distributor Cap (Beru)
ATM VK106
Qty: 1
$12.99
$12.99 /each
New replacement rotor from 123 in place.  Rotor is $25 w/ $15 shipping! 

DSC_0981.JPG

I think the oil ingress into mine was able to minimize the corrosion.

;-)

• Haha 4

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

13 minutes ago, ray_ said:

I think the oil ingress into mine was able to minimize the corrosion.

😉

I was thinking my extreme corrosion all the way to blue azurite was promoted by possible oil and acidic crankcase gasses combined with wet winter conditions. It was an oily mess but had a beautiful blue color. 

• Like 1

Disassembled the front suspension and steering and pulled the subframe.  Got it cleaned up and treated it with rust converter.  I was going to buy the engine mount reinforcement piece from Ireland, but noticed that someone had already done the repair.  This project is picking up some steam, maybe driving by end summer?  Or did I just jinx myself...

Oh yeah, also had some fun over the weekend, removing a seized rear subframe mount...

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

Edited by Shiparino
more fun
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Shiparino said:

Disassembled the front suspension and steering and pulled the subframe.  Got it cleaned up and treated it with rust converter.  I was going to buy the engine mount reinforcement piece from Ireland, but noticed that someone had already done the repair.  This project is picking up some steam, maybe driving by end summer?  Or did I just jinx myself...

Oh yeah, also had some fun over the weekend, removing a seized rear subframe mount...

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

I am refurbishing my front suspension piece by piece…

• Like 1

Decided I needed a break from Franzi's engine bay so started cleaning up "firewall Forward" components/assemblies.  Strut stuff is done but waiting for Bilsteins to arrive to reassemble.

Going at the pedal box now.

Yes there's 2 of them there, have an extra so may as well do both now, good trading stock😉

Wish it would stop raining long enough to mow my yard.

IMG_3965.JPG

IMG_3967.JPG

IMG_3968.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

2 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

I used Pat Allens tune box and dwell would float from  56.1 to 62.4 ish at idle.  Is this normal ?

No.  It should be steady.  I've never seen or heard of fluctuations like that.  I'd take a close look at the points.  Very strange!

Do you have another dwell meter to try?

Was the idle fluctuating as well?  It seems like it would be, because timing would also be changing.

18 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

No.  It should be steady.  I've never seen or heard of fluctuations like that.  I'd take a close look at the points.  Very strange!

Do you have another dwell meter to try?

Was the idle fluctuating as well?  It seems like it would be, because timing would also be changing.

Idle would fluctuate very little and would idle well for the most part. I do have an Innova light also.

I'll check that tomorrow afternoon, can also take a look at the points. 

Thanks for reply.  

• Like 1