• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

On 12/31/2022 at 6:36 PM, Howardpowered said:

ha! been raining since i put them in so no glam shots. all i can offer are some driveway beam adjustment pics.

low:

these are all 5700/modern white…the lower temp/warmer flavor is obvious choice for more oem look. theyre expensive, but with DOT compliance and a form factor that fits the buckets perfectly I’m happy with them at this point.

This is awesome!! 

Can you confirm that the lenses on these new retrobright lights are indeed plastic? Does this bother you? 

I'm all on on these in the warmer white light, but would like to hear your final thoughts. Thanks! 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Completed the cooling system and exhaust work and road tested "Schmidt" today!  Was glad to see that I have no more oil leaks at the exhaust header.  Now its just that one little leak at the timing chain cover (above the adjuster).  I wasn't entirely sure it was leaking before, having the other leaks.  Not yet sure what's involved with doing that work.  I can tell also that the brakes need a little more adjusting.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, its55 said:

Completed the cooling system and exhaust work and road tested "Schmidt" today!  Was glad to see that I have no more oil leaks at the exhaust header.  Now its just that one little leak at the timing chain cover (above the adjuster).  I wasn't entirely sure it was leaking before, having the other leaks.  Not yet sure what's involved with doing that work.  I can tell also that the brakes need a little more adjusting.

Congrats on getting that job done.  If your oil leak runs from the valve cover/timing chain cover juncture, you may have a classic case of “half-assed valve job”.  Because the valve cover reaches across both the head and the timing chain cover, an experienced 2002 machinist never resurfaces the head without also shaving the timing chain cover by the same amount.  Failure to do so results in a sometimes barely visible difference in height that the valve cover gasket fails to fill. The good news is that a dab of Permatex non-hardening Form-a-Gasket usually solves that problem.

• Like 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

1 hour ago, 0257 said:

Congrats on getting that job done.  If your oil leak runs from the valve cover/timing chain cover juncture, you may have a classic case of “half-assed valve job”.  Because the valve cover reaches across both the head and the timing chain cover, an experienced 2002 machinist never resurfaces the head without also shaving the timing chain cover by the same amount.  Failure to do so results in a sometimes barely visible difference in height that the valve cover gasket fails to fill. The good news is that a dab of Permatex non-hardening Form-a-Gasket usually solves that problem.

Thanks.  I can see it's coming from that juncture.  I also had the exhaust bolt leaks before but I've solved those.  Part of the "half-assed" job it appears.

I assume that would involve removing that upper cover, dabbing the Permatex and re-installing?  I'm aware of the bolts torque / sequence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, its55 said:

Thanks.  I can see it's coming from that juncture.  I also had the exhaust bolt leaks before but I've solved those.  Part of the "half-assed" job it appears.

I assume that would involve removing that upper cover, dabbing the Permatex and re-installing?  I'm aware of the bolts torque / sequence.

Does sound of a piece with the exhaust studs.  Both common in shops that don’t do a lot of 2002 work (which these days is most shops!).  I’ve had this problem on 2 of my 3 2002s.  I addressed it by renewing my valve cover gasket and dabbing Form-a-gasket into the lower gap (the one under the gasket), as that’s where the height differential is.  After that, if you need to remove that gasket it’ll be a bit sticky so you need to careful not to tear it unless you are happy to replace it.  I don’t usually put Form-a-Gasket above, as a flat valve cover + good gasket seems to be enough.

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

5 hours ago, danco_ said:

This is awesome!! 

Can you confirm that the lenses on these new retrobright lights are indeed plastic? Does this bother you? 

I'm all on on these in the warmer white light, but would like to hear your final thoughts. Thanks! 

they are a polycarbonate; less likely to fracture than glass …and lower weight. 😀 most of their weight seems to be in the pot metal heat sink into which the led module mounts.

tapping on the covers does not give that satisfying glass sound so i hope to avoid tapping on them any more often then i tap on the rest of the light fixtures.

would prefer if the holley name wasnt molded into center of the cover.

D1C4EB9E-B8C8-49B8-AD9A-CF29236B4FBC.thumb.jpeg.16902b3057b5124cc704eec342645c25.jpeg

otherwise i think the visual appearance is spot on a glass sealed beam and wont look goofy in a few years like so many of those jeepish led lamps.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, 0257 said:

Does sound of a piece with the exhaust studs.  Both common in shops that don’t do a lot of 2002 work (which these days is most shops!).  I’ve had this problem on 2 of my 3 2002s.  I addressed it by renewing my valve cover gasket and dabbing Form-a-gasket into the lower gap (the one under the gasket), as that’s where the height differential is.  After that, if you need to remove that gasket it’ll be a bit sticky so you need to careful not to tear it unless you are happy to replace it.  I don’t usually put Form-a-Gasket above, as a flat valve cover + good gasket seems to be enough.

Thanks but I'm not sure if I follow you.  My leak is at the BASE of the top timing chain cover, just above the chain tensioner.  Are you saying that I may only need to press some sealant into / around that point to hopefully stop the leak?

My valve cover does not leak anywhere.

4 minutes ago, its55 said:

Thanks but I'm not sure if I follow you.  My leak is at the BASE of the top timing chain cover, just above the chain tensioner.  Are you saying that I may only need to press some sealant into / around that point to hopefully stop the leak?

Uh, never mind….😬

• Like 1

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

15 minutes ago, its55 said:

My leak is at the BASE of the top timing chain cover, just above the chain tensioner.  Are you saying that I may only need to press some sealant into / around that point to hopefully stop the leak?

Yes.  Mine leaked there too, after I removed that cover and put it back using aviation sealant in the back corners.  I cleaned that out and used some ultra-black silicone stuff and that fixed it.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, its55 said:

When replacing the upper timing cover there are 2 spots where the head gasket meets the head that sealer is supposed to be used.  Frequently overlooked and a cause of leaks.  Also there is a tightening sequence to follow.

14100006_z.jpg

• Like 4