• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

2 hours ago, d.hitchcock said:

Took the car to my BMW tech guru, Paul McCracken at Chicane Motorsports. My five-speed-swapped car has been eating flex discs too frequently, so I went to Paul for help aligning the driveline better.

We wound up shimming the tail of the gearbox up and the CSB down to get what we wanted for now.

In addition, I am going to try to source a slightly taller transmission mount than what is supplied with the Blunt Tech 5-speed shift kit. That would help smooth things out even more.

BUT ... Wow what a difference! My car drives much more smoothly now, and it shifts better than it ever has! WOOHOO!!!

And just for grins, here's a shot of some of the hardware one finds around Chicane ...

Wow, congrats to Paul. No one has been able to align a 5 speed since 1983! 

• Haha 1

I don't give a fird gen, carbretted, alyoominiuhm, tickity boo!... wiff an ole in the boot!

Greg stopped by yesterday two days in a row…we changed out the tires on his car and then he helped me install the rear bumper… it’s like that Johnny Cash song one piece at a time…

3A36E750-BD82-4214-94BB-A67BF4EEDDE0.jpeg

A55C2348-64FF-40B4-8E6B-0D044715789A.jpeg

35C2BC9B-31F9-4FFD-A512-A28BB6A69D3A.jpeg

CDFB6A37-E9D8-48C7-8E3E-060F61C7475E.jpeg

• Like 14

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

13 minutes ago, Johnny Riviera said:

Apparently my prerequisite for BMW wheels is: “must be tedious to clean”. 

LMAO.... the basketweaves on my e28 fit that description 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

On 11/11/2022 at 6:35 AM, zinz said:

someone who may clean his wheels several times a week

unfortunately if I don’t clean mine every third driving day the never ending battle leans towards brake dust stains 

BAC41797-7474-4A65-8CFF-932620180423.thumb.jpeg.570c25870fd059ec4bb61fc10ea0b38f.jpeg

• Like 3

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

This weekend I started with removing the old left wheel well.

Roughly cut out at first

spacer.png

spacer.png

Touring specific hole, this is where the catch mounts onto together with the 2 holes above (welded nut on the inside of the bend) 

spacer.png

And floor/boot flange mostly cleaned up, still in pretty good shape

spacer.png

Only major rust is at the floor flange but this we already knew.

spacer.png

I'm also going to remove this (tow?) bracket and weld in a little section of new boot floor since it was heavily pitted

spacer.png

Some more surface rust on the inside of the differential crossmember, only ~10cm far the rest of the beam looks good. Unfortunately there is no option to replace the boot floor of the Touring otherwise now would be the time! :D

spacer.png

Next up I started with removing the two sections where the inner wheel well is welded onto the outer wheel well.

This went surprisingly easy, first drilling the spot welds and grinding just on the side of the stitch welds.

spacer.png

And fully removed

spacer.png

Some more surface rust on the top. I think water was able to get inside since the C-pillar corner at the hofmeister kink was also quite rusty..

spacer.png

Test fit of the new inner wheel well. Fit is pretty good, not perfect though.

I havent measured any thing yet regarding position but it seems like it needs to go a little more to the front.

Some more clearing will need to be done as well towards the differential cross member as it's touching there

spacer.png

spacer.png

in the middle of the wheel well the flange is also not touching. However I think it's sitting a little twisted (left to right) since I still need to remove the remaining bits of stitch weld at the outer wheel well flange

spacer.png

And the front section. I already hammered the flange of the new section of floor we welded in more towards the front but I need to first measure the position before doing any more tweaking.

the biggest "problem" is the width of the flange of the jackpoint reinforcement panel.

Since it's sitting now the outer flanges sit against each other but at the inside the reinforcement panel isn't touching at all. some modifications will be needed...

spacer.png

I also found the right inner wheel well at another German shop since BMW doesn't offer these anymore 

spacer.png

• Like 14

Bought new wood door cards from Aardvark and started to redo the door panels. 
Took the rusty chrome bits and dunked them in vinegar. They came out pretty good, albeit pitted. Still, better. 
Redid the passenger door panel today. All I had time for but wow, what a difference 

(you can see some of the paint overspray on front edge of door panel - only apparent on cleaning the panel lol). 

I’ll redo the chrome trim on the panels later, waiting for the vinyl wrap film. 

before

image.thumb.jpeg.a01e8e1fe9f1abc8c3bf8abef15e36a2.jpeg

after
image.thumb.jpeg.86818eb670058c50866e470576fe0ce7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.02389f0633149baebb239871f6bb265b.jpeg

• Like 13

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

10 hours ago, Pablo M said:

Took the rusty chrome bits and dunked them in vinegar. They came out pretty good, albeit pitted. Still, better. 
Redid the passenger door panel today. All I had time for but wow, what a difference 

(you can see some of the paint overspray on front edge of door panel - only apparent on cleaning the panel lol). 

wow indeed - I have a set of these panels for a winter project. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pablo M said:

before

image.thumb.jpeg.a01e8e1fe9f1abc8c3bf8abef15e36a2.jpeg

after
image.thumb.jpeg.86818eb670058c50866e470576fe0ce7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.02389f0633149baebb239871f6bb265b.jpeg

Looks great! What stapler/size staples did you use? 
🍻

Rich

• Like 1

Installed a 123 Bluetooth distributor over the weekend and have been loving what it adds to the car.  Steady idle, smooth acceleration and I can feel the torque has improved dramatically.  I'm late to the game on this and have no regrets on the cost as it is by far the best improvement to the car outside of getting rid of the Weber 38. Easy install!

Murph

123 Distributor.jpg

• Like 3