• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Continuing work trying to shape more room for my big right foot against Zouave’s Clardy a/c console.  Problem I had been having: my foot was pushed so far left by the stock console that no matter what shoes I wore I was pushing on the top left of the pedal and prizing it off the nubs.  It’s too cold here to drive barefoot at least 5 days a year, so….

First I pulled the tunnel carpet away from the tunnel, and scraped away the under-carpet padding  to get an extra 1/4” on the right side of the foot.

Then, using my spare a/c panel — Zouave came with a Clardy-in-a-box, which I still have, having elected to buy a new unit from ICE A/C Air — I did some shaping as seen in the below comparison photo to get the panel up above my foot, and just hugging the bottom of the corked-in evap piping.image.thumb.jpeg.10dcf47ff80e0026e0b698e61aa196bd.jpeg

Also shown above, I took a sheet of ABS plastic and shaped it into a panel to fit against the transmission tunnel.  This helps to hide the chewed-up carpet where the lower screw attaching the original panel to the tunnel goes, not to mention the early-demised vinyl pad that came with the carpet (seen below)image.thumb.jpeg.e9f82f87dec4922a5cd7d61cb1b9d4b3.jpeg

Each panel is also cut to accomodate the A/C drain hose, with the a/c panel overlapping the tunnel panel.  That way, when the a/c panel is screwed in place at the edge of the console face and pulled toward the center of the car, the tunnel panel should sit tight without needing to be glued or screwed.

“Finished” job shown below.  Secret ingredient: to pull both panels toward the center of the car, I wrapped a long zip tie around one of the a/c evaporator supports, pulled it out around one of the spokes in the a/c and zipped it tight.image.thumb.jpeg.3eb3949171bafed20035263e90df01c8.jpeg

After watching LA polish off the Bucs I’ll take it out for a drive, see how well it performs.

• Like 5

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

2 hours ago, 0257 said:

Continuing work trying to shape more room for my big right foot against Zouave’s Clardy a/c console.  Problem I had been having: my foot was pushed so far left by the stock console that no matter what shoes I wore I was pushing on the top left of the pedal and prizing it off the nubs.  It’s too cold here to drive barefoot at least 5 days a year, so….

First I pulled the tunnel carpet away from the tunnel, and scraped away the under-carpet padding  to get an extra 1/4” on the right side of the foot.

Then, using my spare a/c panel — Zouave came with a Clardy-in-a-box, which I still have, having elected to buy a new unit from ICE A/C Air — I did some shaping as seen in the below comparison photo to get the panel up above my foot, and just hugging the bottom of the corked-in evap piping.image.thumb.jpeg.10dcf47ff80e0026e0b698e61aa196bd.jpeg

Also shown above, I took a sheet of ABS plastic and shaped it into a panel to fit against the transmission tunnel.  This helps to hide the chewed-up carpet where the lower screw attaching the original panel to the tunnel goes, not to mention the early-demised vinyl pad that came with the carpet (seen below)image.thumb.jpeg.e9f82f87dec4922a5cd7d61cb1b9d4b3.jpeg

Each panel is also cut to accomodate the A/C drain hose, with the a/c panel overlapping the tunnel panel.  That way, when the a/c panel is screwed in place at the edge of the console face and pulled toward the center of the car, the tunnel panel should sit tight without needing to be glued or screwed.

“Finished” job shown below.  Secret ingredient: to pull both panels toward the center of the car, I wrapped a long zip tie around one of the a/c evaporator supports, pulled it out around one of the spokes in the a/c and zipped it tight.image.thumb.jpeg.3eb3949171bafed20035263e90df01c8.jpeg

After watching LA polish off the Bucs I’ll take it out for a drive, see how well it performs.

It checked out on the road.  On to the next thing!

Edited by 0257
I am glad I hung around for the end of that LA-Tampa Bay game.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

I actually did three small things a couple weeks ago. First, was to install a fuel check valve at the gas tank. Valve was generously offered by @John76 . Second was to replace the fuel filter as preventative maintenance.  The jury is out on the last thing, an attempt to silence a rattle coming from the lower section of the center grill. I may have to revisit my temporary fix using some rubber between the grill and the body. 

This morning I drove the car in heavy fog for about 170 miles.  Cool to see the affect on the windshield condensation behind the little wiper wind deflector plate gizmo. Simple pleasures in the 02.

DSC_0661.JPG

DSC_0664.JPG

DSC_0657.JPG

Edited by 7502
spaces
  • Like 6

Starting engine rebuild. 72tii engine. Summer teardown with my Dad or tat, as I call him in Ukrainian.

Bought it 20 years ago and its been sitting in a crate since then. The old 73tii motor is wearing out. It takes 20 min to get warmed up. Starting to get a lot of blow by on hard acceleration, and the head is starting to burn the hot exhaust oil burn (blue smoke). Needless to say, people driving behind me are not appreciative. I'm hoping to do most of the work to this one before performing the swap minimizing driving down time.

The engine has treated me very well. Originally bought my 73tii in San Diego. Driven to Toronto, Canada, has since been back to Vancouver, Portland, San Diego, New Mexico, North Carolina, Newfoundland, Maine. We have yet to travel to Goose Bay Labrador and Florida to hit 4 corners of the Continent. Here are a couple of shots...

Had to include a pic of my 2 work vehicles. Really excited to have the Isuzu NPR added to the fleet!

Roman

IMG_4978.thumb.JPG.284bc8dff6bbede777ab35eb79d71e0a.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_4980 2.JPG

IMG_5386.JPG

IMG_5286 2.JPG

IMG_5391.JPG

IMG_5396.JPG

IMG_5487.JPG

IMG_5489.JPG

IMG_5493.JPG

IMG_5497.JPG

IMG_5499.JPG

IMG_6561.JPG

IMG_6619.JPG

IMG_5224.JPG

• Like 10

SILCA.CC

This awesome Throwback T-Shirt is a new color take on our most popular T-Shirt Ever.  The artwork was custom-designed by former professional triathlete Tony DeBoom and printed...

For those who like bicycles and 2002s. I’m not affiliated with this company. 

Edited by rockyford77

On 1/26/2022 at 12:04 PM, rockyford77 said:
SILCA.CC

This awesome Throwback T-Shirt is a new color take on our most popular T-Shirt Ever.  The artwork was custom-designed by former professional triathlete Tony DeBoom and printed...

For those who like bicycles and 2002s. I’m not affiliated with this company. 

Not sure about the thread appropriateness of this, but I this shirt is great, as are Silca's pumps and accessories (if you are into that kind of thing)

L

3 hours ago, WRKO said:

I was gifted the shirt a while back!  The tread on the tires look like snow tires, the rack on the back is whack - but otherwise I like it!

The rack on the back is correct for team cars in the 60s and 70s. the idea was to retain quick access for when a rider has a mechanical.

Molteni Team car.png

Started front subframe reassembly. New poly bushings, new MVP strengthened arms, IE engine mount and subframe reenforcments, blasted and powdercoated, new zinc plated hardware, and new steering arms and ball joints. 

9E6A0A57-CC85-439C-A0AD-0D5594A4E37D.thumb.jpeg.ed15212da046c914122c1afa4525bf85.jpeg 

A35179B3-EDC7-4869-8248-23DFD63DB4AB.thumb.jpeg.925ee05b7d9db6245b11090d6a85366c.jpeg

74942AD9-C5D4-498D-8621-80B833797FBE.thumb.jpeg.83dc2448e4350b6cd330cbd6d3793aa3.jpeg

Does anyone know where I can buy zinc plated washer and nut for the idler arm?  The IE subframe hardware kit didn’t come with those or new bolts for the steering box. 

• Like 4

My car had a botched “restoration” about 5 years ago. If you talked to me about it then I’d be on the verge of flipping tables over. The amount of things I’ve had to undo, repair, replace since getting it back has been overwhelming and sucked a lot of the joy out of my car. I had a Esty carpet kit I’d had sitting in the box for a year because I just couldn’t find the motivation, and even 5 years later any time i drove I’d get a mouth full of sandblast media. Well in the last month I’ve finally made progress. 

• Replaced a sandblasted shifter knob. (Who does that??) It’s amazing how something so small can  make such an immediate improvement. 
  • Got a cracked weld repaired on my hand break and got my seat rail reinforced. If you’re anywhere near the San Fernando Valley CA go see this guy for welding. He was amazing — Welding & Such in Sun Valley, CA. The owner is a “car” guy and did the work while I waited. Even Bolted my seat back in for me. Which is a HUGE pain. 
  • Dynmated and Ensolited the interior. — wow that took longer than expected. but So much quieter. I’ve still got behind the back seat and under the rear seat side panels to do but the bulk of the work is done. 
  • Installed the carpet kit. WHAT a difference. They returned my car — having torn my older (correct but worn) carpet out — replaced with the cheapest Home Depot grey cheap carpet they could find. Patched in like they handed some kindergartener a pair of scissors and glue. With No padding. There was not any road noise that I DIDNT hear. 
  • Found the reason why my window kept dropping. Missing bolt, I thought i needed a new regulator. I don’t! And apparently those idiot put a bunch of standard hardware on my metric car. After lots of cursing, confusion and several unexpected trips to the hardware store. I have correct bolts back in many places. I’m sure I’ll have lots of surprises yet to uncover. 
  • These assholes actually stuffed one of the back seatbelts into place but didn’t bolt it in. (!!!) I’m so grateful I never had anyone sit back there since it was years before i discovered that
  • got some nice double walled heat shrink tubing to make my seatbelts look a bit nicer. 

And today I’m sitting here with a razor blade trying to get this overspray off one of my belts—something else i should have never had to do. Sigh. Little by little chipping away. 

D65E54F7-FAE5-490E-BD81-DAD74BBEC25D.jpeg

AF6096EF-C4C4-4DE8-8509-3A3B96824B03.jpeg

65B481D0-E837-4DA4-8C45-DDC777FB74E5.jpeg

C8BBB5B3-DBA7-409F-922E-1B0A7735748D.jpeg

30B0ECCB-7CE0-467D-8148-75628494B818.jpeg

965B5266-B50D-4533-8D7E-6B510BEA9F25.jpeg

Edited by sort77
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, lewisfoto said:

The rack on the back is correct for team cars in the 60s and 70s. the idea was to retain quick access for when a rider has a mechanical.

Molteni Team car.png

acknowledged.  Still looks whack to me on the shirt.  And I still want a TDF horn as a secondary horn mounted on my bike rack.  And the tires are definitely white, which I've never seen.  But certainly picking apart a gift T shirt deserves its own thread on the topics board :) 

23 minutes ago, WRKO said:

acknowledged.  Still looks whack to me on the shirt.  And I still want a TDF horn as a secondary horn mounted on my bike rack.  And the tires are definitely white, which I've never seen.  But certainly picking apart a gift T shirt deserves its own thread on the topics board :) 

Here is one with black tires

SILCA.CC

This awesome Throwback T-Shirt is a new color take on our most popular T-Shirt Ever.  The artwork was custom-designed by former professional triathlete Tony DeBoom and printed by Endurance Conspiracy on the...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1