• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did all models have chrome trim?

Mucci

One of the great things about 2002's is that there are so many visions of how people build their cars.

last year at Bimmerfest it seemed if you were modding a current car it was a M4 whith 20's, Lowering Springs and Exhaust....Only.  These mods on almost All cars

Personally I'm keeping the belt trim and the bottom stainless ricker trim, flushing the front reflectors and keeping the quarter lit lights for safety, now that I've looked closer at my 2 friends that are doing the same without the side lights I'm regretting keeping them. I really wish they had called me out as a Dumba$$ at the time ?, now it's almost done and I'm committed.

if I hadn't found a complete restored set of beltline trim last year I may have easily gone the Esty Route. As a cautionary, last year when I tried to reposition the 3M trim it started to pull up the paint all the way to bare metal in a test area 

IMG_8672.JPG

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

When you check your prospective purchase out, take a look at the back side of the trunk and hood to see if the trim holes were welded shut, or just filled with Bondo or the like.  If you don't  want to reinstall the belt line trim and there's just filler, you should weld those holes closed or you're gonna have problems down the road.  On the other hand, if you do want to reinstall belt line trim and the holes are welded, that's gonna be a problem to drill out the welds.  

BTW, with a little patience you should be able to assemble a decent set of used trim pieces that will be plenty nice for your stated goal of a daily driver...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The stick on trim is easy to fit, get straight & will fool 99% of people from 6ft but it sticks like shit to a blanket & can remove paint when you try to remove it , 3m sticky stuff works .

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

2 hours ago, mike said:

When you check your prospective purchase out, take a look at the back side of the trunk and hood to see if the trim holes were welded shut, or just filled with Bondo or the like.  If you don't  want to reinstall the belt line trim and there's just filler, you should weld those holes closed or you're gonna have problems down the road.  On the other hand, if you do want to reinstall belt line trim and the holes are welded, that's gonna be a problem to drill out the welds.  

BTW, with a little patience you should be able to assemble a decent set of used trim pieces that will be plenty nice for your stated goal of a daily driver...

cheers

mike

Ah yes, good call mike. I'll check there to see how the holes were filled.

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

1 hour ago, LimeySteve said:

The stick on trim is easy to fit, get straight & will fool 99% of people from 6ft but it sticks like shit to a blanket & can remove paint when you try to remove it , 3m sticky stuff works .

There's got to be a solvent out there that will lift the 3M adhesive and not mess with the paint. In my early 20's I worked at a body shop for a summer and they had this thing the size of a hockey puck that was made out of a gummy tan rubber. The same material you see used as Clark's shoe soles. It'd chuck into a drill and pull the 3M badge tape up without messing up the paint... as long as you didn't stay in one place and burn it.

Of course you had to get the badge off first which wasn't too hard with some plastic pry tools.

Edited by Mucci

Shameless plug: http://thepaddock.xyz/store/2002beltlinetrim

I've had this particular stick-on trim on my car for over 5 years and it still looks brand new. Highly recommended for anyone with anything other than a concours car.

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

9 minutes ago, bluebmw said:

Shameless plug: http://thepaddock.xyz/store/2002beltlinetrim

I've had this particular stick-on trim on my car for over 5 years and it still looks brand new. Highly recommended for anyone with anything other than a concours car.

Is there a difference between that and this? http://www.brandsport.com/trmg-0301-05.html

39 minutes ago, Mucci said:

Is there a difference between that and this? http://www.brandsport.com/trmg-0301-05.html

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but the "brandsport" trim is from a different manufacturer and it appears to have a different profile (rounded VS trapezoidal).

Edited by bluebmw

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

7 hours ago, ray_ said:

I'm gonna put plastic bumper covers over my chrome bumpers also.

I love the modern look!

Here's my viewpoint on "trim delete".

It's the ultimate Win-Win scenario.  Owner A likes his car stripped down rather than stock.  Owner A, therefore, removes the trim -- some, all, whatever floats his/her boat -- and Owner A is happy.  Owner B -- that would be me -- likes stock appearances.  Owner B keeps every last bit of factory ornament, even if that includes enormous friggin' bumpers.  Because of Owner A's preference, cars with a stock appearance become more and more rare, enhancing their "special-ness".  Value?  Who the hell knows.  Regardless, Owner B is happy: he likes having a rare and "special" car.  Everyone is happy!  ?

Happily,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 1 year later...

Just FYI...try removing the stick on belt trim with fishing line. Use it like a saw up and down and then go after the crap left behind with an adhesive remover. not the fastest way but you won't rip off your paint. Dealer taught me this trick when they had to replace my bowtie chevy logo on the back of my truck. Worked flawlessly.