• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did all models have chrome trim?

Mucci

Simple question I'm sure, but I'm a new owner. The car I'm buying has been resprayed and doesn't have any holes for the chrome body trim. I'm wondering if some models didn't come with the trim or if they've been filled in. It's a '75.

The previous owner mentioned that a full set of trim is big bucks but there are stick-on options out there. Does anyone have info / a link on the latter?

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

For trivia night, Euro 1502's did not come with trim. EDIT: Beat by a minute!

Mucci, if you are buying, tread carefully.  A trim delete is a big red flag that the owner decided to cut corners.  It may be indicative of rust issues being glossed over.  A new set of trim costs around $1,000.  So while it certainly isn't cheap, it's not devastatingly expensive.

If you haven't already, have a thorough PPI done by a knowledgeable 02 mechanic.  There are a handful in Portland.

Edited by AceAndrew

1 hour ago, AceAndrew said:

For trivia night, Euro 1502's did not come with trim. EDIT: Beat by a minute!

Mucci, if you are buying, tread carefully.  A trim delete is a big red flag that the owner decided to cut corners.  It may be indicative of rust issues being glossed over.  A new set of trim costs around $1,000.  So while it certainly isn't cheap, it's not devastatingly expensive.

If you haven't already, have a thorough PPI done by a knowledgeable 02 mechanic.  There are a handful in Portland.

Oh this is by no means a pristine specimen. The PO rattle canned it flat black and it's got front end damage. But the price is right and it runs and drives solid. I'm going to likely strip it bare to see what's under there before respraying it the stock Mintgrun and driving it daily :) It's a project for sure. On the plus side there's no rust in the trunk or on the towers. Underbody looks 90% clean as well. We'll see what mysteries the panels hold...

If anyone has Portland area mechanic recommendations I'm all ears.

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

All came with trim

Here ya go. Thank Esty, not me.

http://www.brandsport.com/trmg-0301-05.html

Cheers,

Great, thanks for the link. Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the real trim and this stuff? I didn't think it was going to be a "by the foot" kind of thing.

1 hour ago, AceAndrew said:

Maybe not $1000 more like $1269  + $390 drip-rails..........:wacko:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-Genuine-OEM-Upper-Belt-Line-Chrome-Molding-Kit-With-Clips-1968-1976-/281891147953?hash=item41a20590b1:g:3NkAAOSwdpxUYkBl&vxp=mtr

The Sick on chrome trim is a $$$$ short cut but maybe all cars don't need $1450 in trim.

3M here (the Esty source looks better) with real behind:

IMG_6809.JPG

Without the trim:

Bumpers on (2).JPG

But with new paint, New OEM trim will be installed

• Like 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

I take issue with trim delete spelling corner cutting. I think the cars look better without the knee high trim for sure, and even like the belt line trim delete if the 'lines' are correct with the hood, trunk and side of the car.

I've recently had my car painted and almost had them weld the belt line trim holes closed, along with the rear reflectors and front bumper mount holes, but I didn't because all you purists out there are belt line trim crazy. I did have them weld the knee high trim holes closed as well. This was hardly cutting corners. It cost me money to do so and they did it right.

I'll probably use the stuff ESTY recommends for the belt line. The 1502 had the right idea IMO, minus the knee high stuff. What did the 1600's have?

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

I applied the stick on trim over the top of my holes. I had done a complete bare metal respray so they were all sound and followed up with a dab of white seam sealer onto the back of each hole. This way, when I have run out of better things to spend my money on I can remove the adhesive trim, ream out the seam sealer and install new factory trim. 

Not in in a rush to replace it, pretty happy with the adhesive stuff for the price and effort I went to. 

• Thanks 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

8 hours ago, NYNick said:

....What did the 1600's have?

Hey, Nick,

1600-2's and 2002's of contemporary model years used the exact same body trim, with the exception of the blacked-out front grille slats.  Early on -- 1968 through early 1970 models -- the 2002's slats were painted, but that shifted to black-anodized slat covers after the painting idea crashed and burned.  Very, very early 2002's -- early 1968 only -- possibly had black-painted embossed areas on the belt-line nosepiece trim.  Although this appears in marketing brochures and some test report photos, it's not clear the feature made it to many, if any, delivered cars.  So no substantive difference between 1600-2 and 2002 trim.  The knee trim appeared on all cars, commencing in April 1971, as part of the Modell 71 updates.

The 1502 arrived during the square taillight era and was intended to provide a low-cost entry point, especially for markets outside of Europe.  You may also notice that the 1502 had blacked-out window trim and non-operable front vent windows.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks Steve, standing by with historically accurate info., as always.

I think I suffer from 60's and 70's chrome over kill. While tastefully done in the early 70's on the 02's, I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to that stuff. I'm doing the same thing Simeon described above and we'll see how that goes.

That is, if I can EVER get my car back from the paint shop and put it back together again.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS