• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chronical of the Bespoke Wheel

joh99033

Chronical of the bespoke wheel

For years I’ve dreamed of having a nice period looking aftermarket steering wheel. “Nice” is clearly subjective and I fully recognize that the very characteristics I would look for in a wheel, might be what turns others off. I’ve always been a fan of the larger diameter wheels in the 385MM – 400MM range. This criteria alone rules out the majority of aftermarket wheel options. Stylistically I’ve always been a big fan of wheels that have holes drilled out of the spokes (something akin to Momo’s Prototipo, or Petri). The problem with those wheels is that they are both too rare and expensive, or for the modern versions are too small in diameter and too thick in the handle. Why Momo hasn’t come out with a 390MM Prototipo has both confused and bewildered the cerebral matter which resides between my ears. To complicate things even more, I’m also a fan of wood handled wheels for their classic aesthetic. Lastly and perhaps the most damming attribute or characteristic which I’ve looked for is a wheel with a dark wood finish. My 2002 is a 72 so it has the black dash cluster. I also have a black interior. While the Nardi wood wheels are very beautiful, and come in a 390MM size, the hue is too light and brown in for my taste and would be better suited in the E9.

So in the perfect world, if I were king, this would be my wish-list of wheel attributes:

1. Wheel diameter 385-400MM range
  2. Wheel thickness less than 1”
  3. Spokes with holes drilled
  4. Handle would be made of wood in a very dark stain
  5. Flat spokes (not dished)
  6. Black spokes

Well fast forward the space-time continuum, and what the heck, I’ve decided to build my dream wheel from scratch. The project all started at my desk with a compass and a sheet of paper. Surprisingly it only took a couple of iterations before I arrived at the “perfect” design. (I recall that perfection is subjective). Behold the drawing.  

See photo "Origional Steering Wheel Drawing"

I knew that my carpentry skills would be up to the task but machining the spokes would be the biggest challenge. After doing a little interwebing, I found a nice gentleman in the Seattle area who takes on low-run bespoke machining and CAD mockup projects. I sent him my drawings and together we got to work creating and refining CAD files of my vision. As it stands today, I’m waiting for the spokes to get CNC machined. Once completed, I’ll be able to weld them on to a ring which will recess within the wood handle. See photo. Also I’m machining my spokes so they’ll mount up to the Momo hub.

See photos "render 1" and "render 2"

The other photos are for context and fun

I’ll be sure to update you all from this thread as I progress further into completion of my wheel. The plan is to mill out a few extra sets just for giggles. So far I can’t say that this has been the cheapest way to get a new wheel, given the $125/hour fee for the CAD and machining work, but I’ve sure enjoyed the process.

More to come.

Cheers

post-34817-0-90602300-1439925614_thumb.j

post-34817-0-43167200-1439925689_thumb.p

post-34817-0-92735500-1439925705_thumb.p

post-34817-0-93181900-1439926037_thumb.j

post-34817-0-97013100-1439926045_thumb.j

post-34817-0-06118500-1439926111_thumb.j

NICE!!! LOVE IT!  

And love the fact you are taking it from "cocktail napkin" idea to fruition!! Take a gold star out of petty cash for initiative...  Well done.  

Can't wait to see the finished product.  

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Looks fantastic - keep us posted with pictures of the mounted end product - and some details on the fabrication of that steering wheel rim wouldn't go amiss either - do you make it in a front and a back half, then glue them together ?

Cris

Edited by tups

great vision......good eye.....kudos to  you.

I sourced 370 mm bespoke proto style wheels from across the pond..they sold like hot cakes

early 911 crowd, alfa crowd and some 02 ers as well.

390-400 mm wont satisfy most....

..its more 365-375 range that folks seem to desire.

look at vintage momos and abarths....360-380 mm or so..

and now they are $$$$$$$..alpina 3 spoke is like 800 usd used.

Momo wanted to do a remake of an older flat no dish vintage wheel for me..but they wanted about  a 150 wheel commitment...and I couldnt get the funds together.

Edited by jrkoupe

Visionaut,

Nice observation on the bolt pattern not being aligned like a Momo. The Momo hub can mount at any alignment as long as the bolt spacing diameter is 70mm.

arminyack,

Very cool that you have CAD skills and access to a laser cutter. I'm not worthy (insert Garth voice).

Henning,

Nice work on remaking that wheel.

jrkoupe,

I'm intrigued that Momo entertained the possibility of remaking an older wheel.

I installed this Lecarra steering wheel on my 1975.  I don't know what hub adapter it used, but I had an issue with the flat wheel with no dish being too close to turn signal control when mounted.  Your Momo hub may give you adequate clearance, but I had to bend the control stalks on either side to clear my fat knuckles.  Nice project and very inspirational.

Mark92131

post-33686-0-06718700-1440003055_thumb.j

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)