• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cheap Steering Joint Buster

I recently overhauled the front suspension on my 71 2002.  As part of the job I replaced both tie rods.  No matter what I tried I could not break the joint on the passenger side inboard end.  In frustration I took a generic pitman arm puller/buster that I already had, but could not use because it was too wide at the jaws, and modified it so that it resembled the joint buster sold by Bavauto.

The tool I started with is a Cal Van 194 Pitman arm puller with hook opening of 1 1/8 in.  These things are available at auto parts stores for around $15.  I have seen them with the Performance tool brand name. The part I used to narrow the jaw opening is a 2 in OD X 13/16 in ID X 1/8 in thick steel washer from the hardware store.  I ground flats on opposite sides of the washer so it would fit between the arms and sit flat on the jaws of the puller. Then I hack sawed a slot in the washer equal to the dia of the hole in the washer. The pics attached should help  figure this out. One pic shows the puller and the modified washer side by side.  The other shows the washer in place on the jaws.

I slid the washer in the joint first the followed it with the puller and adjusted the puller so that the tapered tie rod pin lined up with the screw in the puller.  I torqued down the screw and the joint came apart with a bang, sending parts flying in all directions.  Next time I will leave the castle nut on the tie rod pin to help keep things together. Welding the washer to the puller would also help but might limit the  adjustability of the combination.  If you decide to use this idea be sure to protect yourself from flying objects.

In terms of full disclosure, I have used this tool only once and the joint had been heavily massaged by other methods so it may have been ready to give up when I used the buster.  However, it worked for me.

Charlie

post-48519-0-80796100-1433173040_thumb.j

post-48519-0-55244900-1433173070_thumb.j

• Like 2

Yep, that works, and if you put a lot of grunt on it and it doesn't want to pop,

then whack on top of it with a hammer..  Stuff REALLY flies then.

Or whack both sides of the arm at the same time.  That seems to do it, too.

The one I REALLY hate is the drag link. 

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Toby- I agree on the drag link.  I ain't looking fwd to replacing that one.  I did that job on a BMW Bavaria some years ago and had good luck smacking the joints on opposite sides with  hammers.  That method doesn't work so good for me on a 2002 because there isn't enuf room to get a good hit on both sides of many of the steering joints.  The tie rod to Pitman arm joint is an exception, altho on my recent suspension rebuild the double hammer method did not work on that joint. I ended up putting a jack under the Pitman arm as close to the joint as possible and putting some upward pressure on the arm to keep it from flexing.  Then I ran the castle nut up to the top of the tie rod pin and hit it with a hammer and the joint separated.  The buster may have worked there but it came later.

To all- Thanks for the replys and comments.

Charlie

Pickle for, works good for me...

• Like 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

This is the type I favour. Never had a problem breaking a taper with one of these. Lots of ancient Land Rovers can attest to that. attachicon.gifpXxTorLfH1McFmmfIX-d_w2AcetR-mxQf_NpcvDDska7V6GjyJXBwhdTguNm25NDtxPfmFNyGeU-0ltdOjrhcVDXRy7osKG1sRsmn4NTDaaB3ayq3bObbXQg8ERHLv4=w450-h321-nc.jpeg

One of these actually broke my original ball joint at the cotter pin hole. I ended up using the fork type splitter and a BFH to separate the ball joint from the spindle. Worked great for the tie rod ends though.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

This is the type I favour. Never had a problem breaking a taper with one of these. Lots of ancient Land Rovers can attest to that. attachicon.gifpXxTorLfH1McFmmfIX-d_w2AcetR-mxQf_NpcvDDska7V6GjyJXBwhdTguNm25NDtxPfmFNyGeU-0ltdOjrhcVDXRy7osKG1sRsmn4NTDaaB3ayq3bObbXQg8ERHLv4=w450-h321-nc.jpeg

One of these actually broke my original ball joint at the cotter pin hole. I ended up using the fork type splitter and a BFH to separate the ball joint from the spindle. Worked great for the tie rod ends though.

I also prefer this type of ball joint splitter. If it seems like you are needing to use a lot of force, the trick is to hit the sides of the arm with a hammer. Often just a couple of light taps are all that are needed to shock it loose.

• Like 1

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

I also prefer this type of ball joint splitter. If it seems like you are needing to use a lot of force, the trick is to hit the sides of the arm with a hammer. Often just a couple of light taps are all that are needed to shock it loose.

I've used this trick for tie rod ends. It didn't occur to me to try it on the ball joint since there's so much material in that spindle.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

• 4 years later...

VIDEOS? VIDEOS?   VIDEOS?  If it takes that much to take it off;  What’s it take to put it back together? And...... doesn’t anyone have a video of this REALLLLLY IMPORTANT PROCESS?  I’m scouring the FAQ site to find one but some of you ‘site savvy” types might be able to direct me quicker, any takers?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toca said:

VIDEOS? VIDEOS?   VIDEOS?  If it takes that much to take it off;  What’s it take to put it back together? And...... doesn’t anyone have a video of this REALLLLLY IMPORTANT PROCESS?  I’m scouring the FAQ site to find one but some of you ‘site savvy” types might be able to direct me quicker, any takers?

New tie rods? Easy peasie cmon'...

You know I’m totally impressed by your engine-newity and mecanicalness...lol,  now your just showin’ off.  Good on Ya!  I’m so new I don’t even know where air goes...... I’m in deep and have not a clue (without looking on the internet) of most of the things I’m doin’.  It’s nice I have Iinca to suggest how much a F-tard I am.... but,  I will win this Journey!!!   And for the good of all...

Iinca, I’m glad I didn’t offend you...

Edited by Toca