• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ryan (danco_)

s99

Ryan- so sorry to view all the damage via video. Glad you are doing better and it looks like some good parts are salvageable from the car. It still looks very shiny

Thanks for the nice words, Jim. I'm doing much better these days. I've taken over 6 weeks off from my "real job" and I think I'm supposed to go back on Monday, though I'm tempted not to. But I have a nice surprise in the coming months. The 73 Polaris car will take priority amongst my other projects. Should have that done within the next year. 

I was gonna comment on the paint looking very good! Good to see you recovering at least physically, that car gave its all to keep you around. Also, 'rainbow strut supports' has a nice ring to it

Thanks Read. She will give some of her pars to various other cars. She was an organ donor. Check out the second video I will post below to get a better view of the strut bar. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of force caused the bar to bend inwards. I'll never understand the power of physics. 

And a second video. I ripped the hood open. Still no idea on the engine an whether it survived but I remain hopeful. Probably bent the crank and rendered the motor useless, but let me believe that it will be ok.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

They certainly are  a very upsetting videos , I'd bet the engine will be fine , your little beauty certainly sacrificed herself for your well being , good luck with the transformation/transplanting .I'm certainly glad you are on the mend.

All the best 

Limey Steve

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Condolences on the car. Hope you are healing and feeling less pain.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I recently met a woman who saw my car and reminisced about the one she'd had.

Her car was totaled in a head on accident in 1972 and her take was "that car saved our lives."

She said it a couple of times, in a fairly stern voice.

I might add that she is a doctor... so, 'knows about those sorts of things'. :huh:

Your car lived a good long life, especially compared to hers.

I am eager to see photos of your Polaris car!

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

I'm thinking that, if you have your 02 insured with your standard insurance company vs. a Hagerty or similar, you're not doing it right and can expect some serious difficulties in the event of a major claim.

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

I also feel very sorry for you, Ryan. For your car, too. Hoping you didn't weld the yellow kidney piece in it before the crash. If you need another, let me know.

Look forward and keep your ears stiff!! I hope you will soon "be entirely the old one as before", as we say here.

I'm finding it interesting that the white sedan is more narrow than the 02 is shorter. The 02-cabin seems to be more solid than could be expected of a 50-year old construction. Much more solid than certain much more modern cars.

My best wishes for the future, man!

Henning

impressive that the Klippan restraint system worked. That was lucky.

I took the spaghetti straps out of my '70 because they seemed a bit scary. Hope the engine survives to run again in a new replacement car

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

They certainly are  a very upsetting videos , I'd bet the engine will be fine , your little beauty certainly sacrificed herself for your well being , good luck with the transformation/transplanting .I'm certainly glad you are on the mend.

All the best 

Limey Steve

Thanks Steve! Pending the in-house appraiser's offer, I will reach out to your guy for my own appraisal. But if the motor survived, I would be so extremely happy. Everyone who has driven the car has agreed that it is a VERY strong m10. I would romp on tii's all day, and the car would hit 120mph without a hiccup, not that I encourage such behavior. But I have "tested" it's abilities and the engine was strong. 

Condolences on the car. Hope you are healing and feeling less pain.

Thank you. I have less pain every day. 

I recently met a woman who saw my car and reminisced about the one she'd had.

Her car was totaled in a head on accident in 1972 and her take was "that car saved our lives."

She said it a couple of times, in a fairly stern voice.

I might add that she is a doctor... so, 'knows about those sorts of things'. :huh:

Your car lived a good long life, especially compared to hers.

I am eager to see photos of your Polaris car!

These cars were built fairly well. The accident was hard. What saved me was the fact that the impact was spread evenly throughout the entire front end, rather than say, a corner of the nose. Not only would the damage have been more severe, but I would have likely sustained much greater injuries, since accidents tend to make your body do things it was never designed for, like the splits or front flips into the street at 45mph. 

I'm thinking that, if you have your 02 insured with your standard insurance company vs. a Hagerty or similar, you're not doing it right and can expect some serious difficulties in the event of a major claim.

My driving record is tarnished from a few stints when I was 18-19. The laws I broke were substantial and these were no mere infractions. When I reached out to Hagerty about 8 months ago, they told me to come back in about a year, when two more points "fall" off my record (expire). Until then, I got AAA full coverage with comprehensive and collision coverage. My biggest mistake was not upping my underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage. That is what killed me this time. 

I also feel very sorry for you, Ryan. For your car, too. Hoping you didn't weld the yellow kidney piece in it before the crash. If you need another, let me know.

Look forward and keep your ears stiff!! I hope you will soon "be entirely the old one as before", as we say here.

I'm finding it interesting that the white sedan is more narrow than the 02 is shorter. The 02-cabin seems to be more solid than could be expected of a 50-year old construction. Much more solid than certain much more modern cars.

My best wishes for the future, man!

Henning

Henning! 

The nose piece I bought wasn't for any particular car. I just figured when another roundie comes along with a damaged nose (fairly normal), I wouldn't have to try to straighten the nose, and I can simply weld in your piece. I still have your nose piece somewhere. I should probably find it and see if I can weld it into this car and fix the slight nose damage the car sustained. 

That last part was a joke. 

impressive that the Klippan restraint system worked. That was lucky.

I took the spaghetti straps out of my '70 because they seemed a bit scary. Hope the engine survives to run again in a new replacement car

It wasn't a good idea to test the integrity of a 45+ year old restraining system such as the Klippan seat belts, but much to our surprise, they did work. I kept it in the car because it was original and looked cool, despite how much of a pain in the ass it was to untangle or get to clip in. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Well... Haven't looked over the thread recently but it's good to hear you are doing better.  One day I'm sure you will look back and remember the good and less of the bad out of this situation. 

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily

"I don't have a piece of sh*t so I have to envy yours!" - Ferris Bueller