• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71'-73' 2002tii Rear Trunk Emblem Badge Question

2k2tii

Hi All,

I purchased a brand new 1971-1973 2002tii rear trunk badge emblem for my 72' tii from what this forum would consider a reputable seller.

After installing the brand new badge on the car, and comparing it to an original BMW OEM factory German rear badge that I know is correct, i found a glaring issue -- the supposedly new tii rear badge is too short!  

See the attached pictures for for details.

The installed badge is the badge in question.

The badge held up to the already installed badge is a version I know is correct.

When i went back to the seller and inquired about this difference, they did in fact claim:  "It is Original BMW".

However, I wanted to bring this puzzle to all of you folks for more details.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I did a bit more research in an old official BMWparts book (see pic) and found the following:

1.) Part # 51 14 1 815 197 was the original 2002tii badge in Europe, which was discontinued. 

2.) Part # 51 14 1 826 842 was the next badge iteration, available in Europe and the U.S., which has also now been discontinued. 

I don't believe I ever received a [orange] BMW sticker showing the part # of the new badge I purchased.

A.) is this "new" badge the European version?
B.) is this "new" badge the Euro/U.S. 2nd iteration version?
C.) is this "new" badge a reproduction?

Thank you ahead of time for the help!

post-40813-0-45928100-1426266333_thumb.j

post-40813-0-74923600-1426266371_thumb.j

post-40813-0-80622900-1426266598_thumb.j

post-40813-0-21068700-1426266618_thumb.j

I can't tell you anything about your new badge is, but here is a shot of the 2002 Tii badge on my unmolested '73. It is 10" in length and you can see exactly how it fits when attached via the factory mounting holes.

post-36995-0-08853100-1426269614_thumb.j

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

It looks like your existing one is too small, compared to LJtii.

Here's mine:

post-38825-0-58430500-1426270150.jpg

Sorry I can't answer your questions. Maybe the existing one is from a different year or euro version. I'm sure someone will have that answer shortly.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Just measured my badge purchased 7 or 8 years ago and it is just over 10" wide.

Don't rule out possibility D) Factory part incorrectly produced.  They do mess things up sometimes.  However, most parts these days should come in a bag or box with a white part # sticker unless it has been sitting around long enough to still have an orange sticker.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

I got "suckered" by an alleged reputable seller at an 02 Fest West years ago.

It was offered as a new Tii rear badge.

Got it home and it turned out to be for a  Touring.  (about an inch smaller/shorter) Wasn't told that at time of purchase.

I don't do business with that company for the last 15 years. 

And, he doesn't know as much about our cars as we profess.

mac.

mac.

Yes, there are two different types of tii rear emblems.  I guess earlier cars used the shorter badge.  Not sure when they switched over to the bigger one.  I thought that all round taillight cars used the smaller emblem, but my '73 has the bigger one.  So I have a brand new shorter badge hanging on the wall in my garage.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Hmm,  the replacement rear emblem on my 73 is 9" overall.   Think the original one was slightly longer based on the marking on the paint.  I kept the original one.  IIRC the replacement came from Maximillian in 2008.

Also, the replacement did not have threaded studs like the original one so I had to use some hardware store sourced rubber capture nuts.

Old one

IMG_0009.jpg

Replacement

DSC_0586.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Just measured my badge purchased 7 or 8 years ago and it is just over 10" wide.

Don't rule out possibility D) Factory part incorrectly produced. They do mess things up sometimes. However, most parts these days should come in a bag or box with a white part # sticker unless it has been sitting around long enough to still have an orange sticker.

+1

I don't believe that buying a factory part today guarantees that you get a part identical to the same part manufactured 40+ years ago. I believe you are, rather, entitled to a part that serves the intended purpose. An example -- perhaps it is an extreme example -- is represented by '02 door brakes. When I first saw the current issue OEM door brake I couldn't believe it: it bears little resemblance to a '70s door brake! And how about those BMW hood and trunk lid roundels? They've changed dramatically. How about those ginormous rectangular windshield washer reservoirs -- better built and with larger capacity than the originals but looking nothing like the cylindrical originals?

This is why some owners will pay a premium for NOS parts, even when a new part remains available. And this is why it's sometimes better to have an original part -- even one showing wear or use -- if an NOS example is not available and you are more focused on original appearance than on new condition. Of course, even an NOS part sitting around for 10, 20, 30, or 40 years will have its own set of issues, mostly related to condition.

This may or may not be the issue with respect to the tii badges, but I believe any old car owner needs to bear this in mind. We are particularly lucky that BMW makes any parts for a car that went out of production nearly 40 years ago!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)