• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diesel Swap Suggestion

ClayW

I wonder how this diesel would feel in a 2002. It's a 2.2L, mechanically-injected, naturally aspirated four cylinder. It only makes 72 hp and 96 ft lbs @ 2,800, but got 40mpg in the original 2400 lb car. These engines are beasts that last forever with proper maintenance.

Are these output numbers too low for anyone to consider it? It wouldn't make a fast 2002, but it would make it a reliable and efficient car. Just a thought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-190d-2-2-diesel-engine-om601-4cylinder-diesel-w201-/300861540937?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460cbeca49&vxp=mtr

IMG_9056_zpsd898fbd8.jpg

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

really make the car nose-heavy.

An even better diesel would be the Euro only 2 liter BMW turbo diesel...199 hp and 277 ft/lb of torque. Available there in the 123td hatchback...would that be a cool ride or what...too bad we don't get 'em.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

really make the car nose-heavy.

An even better diesel would be the Euro only 2 liter BMW turbo diesel...199 hp and 277 ft/lb of torque. Available there in the 123td hatchback...would that be a cool ride or what...too bad we don't get 'em.

mike

I'm pretty sure BMW is finally bringing the 4 cyl diesel to the US in the 2014 model year (or at least rumors point pretty strongly to that). Unfortunately, I imagine it will have a huge price premium.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

that M-B lump is from the 80's - and yes SLOW

it's a non-turbo.

biggest problem would be drive train:

best to keep the original M-B trans that belongs to

it so you have correct ratios for decent performance,

then working out your drive shaft and a correct rear diff ratio

to also maintain decent performance.

a fuel tank and fuel return plumbing are needed along

with the electrics for the quick glow and cranking -

requires a heavy 88 AH battery - yes the trans plant

will require really heavy springs up front and special motor

and trans mount .......

the up side is Mercedes offered that car with a 5-speed

standard trans option which was just a bit quicker accel.

start roaming your M-B bone yards

forgetaboutit!

buy yerself a 190D 2.5 M-B and be done with it

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I wonder how this diesel would feel in a 2002. It's a 2.2L, mechanically-injected, naturally aspirated four cylinder. It only makes 72 hp and 96 ft lbs @ 2,800, but got 40mpg in the original 2400 lb car. These engines are beasts that last forever with proper maintenance.

Are these output numbers too low for anyone to consider it? It wouldn't make a fast 2002, but it would make it a reliable and efficient car. Just a thought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-190d-2-2-diesel-engine-om601-4cylinder-diesel-w201-/300861540937?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460cbeca49&vxp=mtr

IMG_9056_zpsd898fbd8.jpg

Something is wrong with your numbers.

96 ft lbs @ 2,800 RPM is only 51 HP.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Turbo it!! Im a huge diesel fan to say the least, though I probably wouldnt put an MB diesel in an 02, but then again there arent that many other options...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I'm the guy doing the VW TDI diesel swap. I think the 190D motor would be a cool swap. Yes, the 190D is slow, but I've heard the 5 speed makes a BIG difference. Not sure of the weight of the 190, but it is sure to be heavier than the 02. Because the 190 motor is older technology the advantage is no computer, easier wiring, it will easily run on biodiesel and waste veggie oil (WVO). A modern diesel will run on some types of bio-diesel, but probably not WVO. A quick google search puts the differential ratio in the range of the stock 2002, so that is a very big deal as far as getting the gearing right for highway cruising (keeping the RPM's low in diesel territory). Just by looking at the picture you posted, I can tell there will interference problems with the intake manifold/steering box/brake booster.

Something to consider, if 40+ mpg is important to you then this would be a good candidate. However, the BMW 524TD would be a far easier swap, but I don't think the mileage would be as good, maybe 35 mpg (because the 2002 is much lighter than a 524td)?? They are both diesels from the same era.

I chose the VW ALH TDI because of it's modern technology, tuning ability, and technical support and parts availability in this country. The potential of this motor could put an s14 to shame while still averaging 40+ mpg. Diesels are all about how you drive them, so if you keep the lead foot out of it and drive like a regular person, I wouldn't be surprised if 50+ mpg COMBINED is achieved on a regular basis.

Lastly, the modern BMW diesels would be the absolute sickest engine ever to swap into a 2002. They are amaze-balls! However, there is virtually no BMW diesel knowledge/support in the US and definitely a lack of parts support. Remember, If you do some crazy swap, if something breaks you are the one who has to fix it. At least VW has about 40 years of history of selling diesels in the US.

Personally, I would love to see more diesel swaps, so I say GO FOR IT!

1973 3.0 CS sahara

2000 VW Golf TDI

with a redline of 2800RPM... remember your gearing will be off. Even with a 320i 5spd OD and a 3.64 rear, your going to have a WOT redline topspeed of like 75-80mph. You really need to see if MB geared that motor with the tranny or the rear end. Most car diesels have a low gear rear like a 2.73

it's a non-turbo.

that would kill it for me. And yeah, the lowest small- case ring gear you can

get is a 3.46 (E36 318i manual) so top speed might be a bit challenged.

But then, if you have a specific use for it, why not?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

And yeah, the lowest small- case ring gear you can

get is a 3.46 (E36 318i manual) so top speed might be a bit challenged.

If I were to get around to do my diesel swap, I would end up changing to a medium case diff. They go WAAAYYY down to 2.71 which is awesome for diesels.

-----------------------------------------------

I had looked into swapping the N47 from BMW. The problem isn't getting the motor or the parts. Plenty of the 1 series in GB and GER get totalled every week that you can buy an 10,000 mile motor for ~$1000-$2000~. The problem is in the ECU. N47s have an insane amount of electronics controlling them and they require $4000+ aftermarket ECUs to control the VANOS and the variable valve lift systems (as well as the piezo injectors).

This is why I like the idea of a mechanically injected engine. There isn't any complication with an injection computer. If the pump works, the engine works and you're set!

HTH

Jay Swift

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

with a redline of 2800RPM... remember your gearing will be off. Even with a 320i 5spd OD and a 3.64 rear, your going to have a WOT redline topspeed of like 75-80mph. You really need to see if MB geared that motor with the tranny or the rear end. Most car diesels have a low gear rear like a 2.73

2800rpm is the torque peak, not the redline.

Anyway, it seems that countdesign is right: An ALH VW swap might serve prospective diesel swappers better.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog