• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STOP !!!!

pkbinplano

As a young man with an old soul, I do not look forward to the future of the automotive world. Being an engineering student only complicates things as I fear all of my knowledge will have to be used on integrating things like "airbags" and "abs" rather then concentrating on important things, like getting that perfect steering feedback without any discomfort.

I know very few people these days who are into older cars and bikes like our 2002s. I have always loved the old, and every new car I have sat in has just disappointed me in some way or another. Hell, even some new supercars feel anemic... the new 911's just don't get me excited like the old ones do. Hugely powerful and extremely fast, which really ruins it as you have to be going way too fast to really get any joy out of it.

So what is a man to do?

Simple... Daily drive a 40 year old car, get a job working in a classic car place where you get to occasionally "test drive" old e-types, ferrari bb512s, and other fantastic vehicles, and live as much in the past as you can.

Don't get me wrong, some new tech is awesome (hell, I'm guilty of being able to plug a laptop into my car to tune it), but most of it is useless crap. Facebook built in? no thank you.

It always puts a smile on my face to beat cars half the age of my own at the red light dragstrip... no extra equipment means no extra weight, and having a proper transmission instead of a mush box means a hard launch, and a cable directly connecting your foot to the carb means no delay.

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gliding_serpent

There are people out there that know where it is at... I play forza 4 (and Forza Horizon that you refer to) with a 700$+ Fanatec Porsche GT2 steering wheel setup (alcantera rim) with 6 speed manual shifter and aluminum pedals with clutch. I do all my races with full manual and no driving assists. I heel toe downshift. I have also taken my e90 328xi to the real track. Driving in game helped me with the concept of car control and the racing line, and in the real world I was top of my class. My favorite cars are the classics like the Ruf Yellow Bird, 2002 turbo, D type jag, and Shelby Daytona. But then I am 32 so I am a different generation.

I inherited my dad's 2002Tii last year that he owned since buying it new in 73. ;-)

I`m only 21, and I love my `02. It`s the best compromise of practicality and basic road feel I`ve had yet. It`s almost as fun to drive as my Spitfire was. My girlfriend likes it as well(she`s 18).

I do have quite a few people my age who are amazed at what all I do "without" though. I put a cd player in it, and that`s my extent of modern improvements. Well, I guess my GPS too, though that is only a stand-in speedo until I fix mine. I`m used to the older cars(and prefer them), so I look at it more like "I have less to distract me".

Life is far too short to drive boring cars.

-Jake

`70 Black 1602 - My Beater
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/135517-saving-a-1970-1602/

`03 GMC S10 - Fiance`s Truck/Parts Hauler

Jim,

Not too surprisingly, your Honda looks fantastic. My nephew would be best served with a car that has minimal power.

Grice

nephew would be best served with no car until he figures how to buy one on his own, teach him right or teach him twice

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

I definitely hope it's just the individual in these circumstances, although I have noticed that while a lot of my friends think my car is "cool" and they like to be in the passenger seat they can't seem to wrap their heads around why I choose to drive it everyday. A lot of kids my age (I just turned 18) can't be bothered with a manual transmission or non-heated seats, but I do have quite a few friends that are car people, most of whom are into E30's and older German steel and absolutely love the 2002. But I have to say, watching my friends struggle to open the passenger door from inside of the car is always good for a laugh!

(And coming from CT: Thank god we don't have inspection here. There's no way my 02 would have passed with much scrutiny...)

-Sam

1976 Pastellblau Project

No inspection for me :D

Being 20 and owning my 02 since 16, most everyone in HS refered to my car as that old piece of crap, and why did I not sell it. Because it's a LOAD of fun, and I dont want all that fancy shit in my car. My truck is the same way. Old Chevy pickup with nothing fancy. It just works. Being in College now I find a bit more of an acceptance for old cars. But some of my friends still dont know how to get in our out :P

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

got the 02 inspected yesterday. Came out of the office and caught the kid trying to slam shut my hood. Even after yelling stop he still tried a couple of more times. Grrrrr

I had a similar experience a decade ago. I was in school and, due to apartment living, I had no place to change my oil, so I let Wal*Mart (*cringe*) do it. I was behind the wheel when they slammed the hood shut. Ouch.

A few miles down the road, I stopped and opened the hood to find that my oil cap was missing and their funnel was still in the valve cover. They bought me a new oil cap and offered a free oil change, but I never went back. Lesson learned.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

I did a thread about a year ago titled something like "You drive a 40 +- year old car. How old are you?" I got nearly 200 replies and I think the age range was from 16 to 78, but I was pleasantly surprised at how many under 25 year olds there were. I remember posting that I thought that the results boded well for the future of our 02 obsession.

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

• 2 weeks later...

Why are you getting it inspected? In Texas if it's more than 25-years old, you can get "Classic Car" plates for the same price as regular plates and no inspection is required (assuming it's been registered in state already). This is not to be confused with "Antique Car" plates which can only be drive to and from shows and club events. Classic car plates allow you to drive as much as you want.

Just ran my E30 through Ohio's E check. They said it would be the last time since it would be exempt the next time around. I'm always vigilant and within shouting distance. Been lucky so far. It is funny to see people get in to older cars and there inability to adapt. Where have they been all these years? I mean, I know it's our hobby, and I can excuse someone under 30 but still.

The 15 year old at the top of the post needs no car. If has to have a car he needs a crappy Volvo 240.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

• 1 year later...

Yee ha!  No e-check in the Dayton area--they did away with it some years ago when it was discovered that we shouldn't have had it in the first place--the Ohio EPA violated its own rules...

Just as an aside...today's 15 year olds are gonna be taking care of us (or at least some of us) when we're old and in nursing homes...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite