pkbinplano

STOP !!!!

31 posts / 3176 viewsLast Reply

got the 02 inspected yesterday. Came out of the office and cought the kid trying to slam shut my hood. Even after yelling stop he still tried a couple of more times. Grrrrr

How dumb can you be? Clearly, if its not springy, it's not meant to be closed (slammed) shut. Maybe a first time is excusable, but after you said stop? No way.

You'll have to come down to San Antonio next time Paul. They don't open the hood; they only open the door to attach the new sticker to the windscreen.

Move to CT...classics don't get inspected.

Unfortunately we do get plates that say: "...Early American..." for some reason.

I opened it for him. He said he needed to check the power steering belt and master cylinder resevoir. I'm like , cool.

Last time I got mine inspected I see the kid trying to open the door. Guess he is used to new cars that you just lift the handle, not a thumb press. So I see him about to rip my door handle off pulling and jerking on it. I tell him to STOP like you did. Then walk over, push the button with my thumb, open the door and say "It's a one piece puzzle". He had no clue what I meant.

Last time I got mine inspected I see the kid trying to open the door. Guess he is used to new cars that you just lift the handle, not a thumb press. So I see him about to rip my door handle off pulling and jerking on it. I tell him to STOP like you did. Then walk over, push the button with my thumb, open the door and say "It's a one piece puzzle". He had no clue what I meant.

I experienced this same phenomenon recently. My 15-year-old nephew wanted to ride in my 2002. He couldn't get in. Then he couldn't figure out the seat belt. Then he didn't like the racing seat. Then he didn't like the noise. Then he didn't like the smell. Then he didn't like the missing radio, GPS, power windows, air conditioning, or cup holders. Then he couldn't get the seat belt undone, and couldn't figure out how to open the door.

I felt old, like I was his grandpa rather than his uncle. Then I felt bemused at the culture shock he was experiencing. Then I felt that I would have to do a lot of explaining and nurturing if I expected him to learn to enjoy these wonderful old cars. And then I felt sad when he told me that he wouldn't accept his dad's 2001 Honda Accord 5-speed sedan because (a) it has a manual transmission; (B) it's too old; © it's a piece of crap. I recall when my parents suggested that they might let my older brother and me rebuild their robin's egg blue '77 Ford Pinto short wagon. It was a piece of junk with a huge crease down the passenger's side. I was overcome with joy. I didn't give a darn whether it was a cool car or not; it was a frikkin car!

My nephew's pretty good at first person shooter games, and has beaten every shooter game he owns. He also plays a lot of Forza, though he plays some release of the game that's based around clubbing, raves, street racing, and generally being a douche. Though he has a steering wheel for his XBox, he prefers to use a thumb-wrestler controller to pilot cars in games. I watched him play Forza for an hour or so. I suggested he try racing a few laps with the controller, then racing the same race with the steering wheel. He agreed, but he couldn't use the steering wheel to save his life, and was confounded by the concept of a manual transmission. He gave up the steering wheel almost immediately. He didn't think much of my comment that he'd be hard pressed to find a car on the market that allowed him to use a hand controller instead of a steering wheel and pedals. His eyes glazed over when I attempted to explain that a thumb lever or touch pad wouldn't be a very good input device for making small course corrections, especially on a bumpy road. He considers it preposterous that he should use his feet to control the accelerator and brake pedals. (He's been on several national championship soccer teams, so one would think he'd be very comfortable using his feet to make subtle inputs.)

Like most 15-year-olds, he talks a lot of trash. He trash talked my 2002. Then he laughed at the meager in-game rating assigned to the BMW 2002 turbo. That was the last straw. I challenged him to a 3-lap race. I offered to take the 2002 turbo, bone stock. He accepted, and chose his absurdly tricked out Veyron. I used the steering wheel, he used his hand controller. He chose some ridiculous track that he'd played on for months, one that I'd never seen before.

He lost by half a lap. He initially scoffed at my suggestion that he select a more reasonable car. He finally agreed, and went with a Saleen race car. Again he lost by half a lap, partially because I was learning the racing line. Unfortunately, before I could convince him to try a car with less than 800 horsepower, his parents reminded him it was bedtime, and that ended the game and lesson.

I wonder whether my kids, assuming I ever have any, will develop the same disdain for my favorite experiences, or if they might take an interest if I give them the opportunity to do so. I'd gladly give my 2002 to a member of the next generation of my family if he/she were really interested in it. That way, my wife might be OK with me buying another 2002 for myself.

It's just the kid - not the generation.

My 10 year old loves the 2002. She also loves the 911. No problems with either the "button" open on the 2002 or the "trigger" open on the 911. She does think my motorcycles are stupid, so I guess there's that.

You never know - maybe someday the light will just "come on" on some of these kids. And they'll feel the joy we feel when monkeying with these antique cars.

Stay vigilant!

For the products of todays society are upon us!

I intend on itl!

Like the ones that use pipe wrenches on cars totally stupid crap etc like dropping rags on sandy ground and washing car with it

oh using large heavy bristle brooms to wash cars which is why...uhhh yeahh if the watch doesnt have digital numbers they cant tell time and uhh.

and afraid to put a steaming tea bag in the garbage because they are afraid it might catch fire and taking the large wheel bearing nut on the 2002 and reefing on it to tighten it 100 ft lbs and......lol!

I took my niece for a ride in my tii a few years ago (she was 16). Similar comments about being an old car, no ABS, no air bags, etc. Too loud, stick shift made me wonder about the perception of a really old car to youngsters nowadays.

Grice: Guess I will refrain from trying to sell my 235K Mile 2000 Honda Coupe to your nephew - but it does have automatic tranny, leather seats and sunroof...AND A VTEC V6 engine with 200 hp.

DSC_1157.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Jim,

Not too surprisingly, your Honda looks fantastic. My nephew would be best served with a car that has minimal power.

Grice