• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many people belong to BMW CCA?

austinmf

How many people belong to BMW CCA?

Just curious. I am a member but thinking of dropping...my local chapter is mostly newer cars and wine and cheese.

I know the discount benefits but I order mostly from Blunt.

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a member since 1992 (#98114). I joined because I wanted to participate in the track days, and stayed because of all the great people I met. While it's true that there are not as many of our old cars in the mix anymore, people are still interested the vintage cars, even if they don't drive them. I still get great tech help from friends I've made in the club, even if the focus of the club and of Roundel is on newer cars.

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Yup, lapping days. Err, HDPE's er whatever.

And here, there are a bunch of racers in the club.

Plus discounts.

I do enjoy a good giggle at the Roundull sometimes...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

CCA in general? About 70,000, last I heard. Your Chapter? About 800. Events every single month - tours, track events, rallies, socials, tech sessions - something for everyone, so it sounds.

I've been a member for 15+ years, and have attended 11 or 12 OctoberFests. Some of our best friends we've met thru the Club. I guess it's not for everyone, but it is like any organization - you have to involve yourself, at least a little, to benefit fully. I have been an SCCA liaison, newsletter editor, and Chapter president. I remain on the board in an advisory capacity, and also have involved myself with the CCA Foundation and the Street Survival program. Lots to get involved in, and, if you don't see something _you_ want to do, volunteer to a Chapter officer to organize an event yourself. You might be surprised how rewarding it can be.

And FWIW, my '02 and my E30 M3 can outdraw most new cars 5:1 at Chapter events, as far as appreciation and questions go...

David in Nashville

i just got my 30 year member pin a few weeks ago (#32847).

if you find your local chapter doesn't do what you want....don't quit, GET INVOLVED! volunteer to run events you are interested in. if there is one person that wants it, there are more. it just takes someone to get it started. it is a club not a company....volunteers make it work.

the telling question is not who belongs to the club, it is who is actively involved in making the club something people want to be a part of.

2xM3

And FWIW, my '02 and my E30 M3 can outdraw most new cars 5:1 at Chapter events, as far as appreciation and questions go...

Funny thing, a few years ago we had about 5 2002's at the CCA corral at Sebring for the 12 hour race. The e46 M3 had just come out, and one was parked next to our row of 2002's. What was everyone looking at? The 2002's, not the M3! So there is still an appreciation for the older cars in the club, even if not everyone still drives them.

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

I am still amazed at the huge number of club members that never attend any events (not just OFest) - lots of folks practice their writing skills and odometer photography skills to get published in the Roundel magazine.

It is a great club to belong to - even better for knowing all the folks no matter what BMW they drive/ride/worship. I wish I had joined the club years ago.

Jim

Member # 381868 (joined 3/27/2007)

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I've been a steady member for over twenty years, joined when I was 12! It's a good organization at the national level and the magazine Roundel, is great...especially the columns written by two of our members here.

The chapter I belong to is hit or miss, the magazine they produce is sparce and mostly full of advertisements so I usually just toss it in the trash. Also most of the events they do are lackluster, boring, and don't cater to the below 50 crowd (in my opinion). And yes, they do the wine and cheese things too which are more for the 7-series crowd with some money in the bank, of which I will never belong.

I do like the driving schools and have done many, though I find my chapter's to be overpriced so I typically do other chapters DE's at the same tracks.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Just returned from Oktoberfest in Columbus OH (nice and close by)...at least a half dozen 2002s were there and along with the old CS coupes and the Lutes' Isetta drew the most interest from folks there. Even had four 2002s in the autocross, including some very quick ones (not mine!).

I may be prejudiced, but the Roundel magazine is worth the membership alone--probably the best automotive club publication in the US if not the world. Also membership gets you parts discounts at many dealerships, and rebates if you decide to buy a new Bimmer. And did I forget the driving schools? Instructors love to see 2002s at driving schools, as a low powered car puts the emphasis on driving skills, not sheer power

I also picked up my 30 year pin (a year late) at Ofest (my 13th), and as David said, it's not so much the cars, but the friends you make. There's no snobbishness at least at Ofest--everyone is there to have fun and interact with other BMW nuts--regardless if you're driving a 1968 or a 2012 Bimmer.

Being notoriously "thrifty" I wouldn't have kept up my membership all these years if I didn't enjoy it.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

lots of folks practice their writing skills and odometer photography skills to get published in the Roundel magazine.

ROTFL! the Roundel would be a much better magazine if they just threw away all the letters with pictures that do nothing other that to show their goofy ODO number or brag about how many BMW's they own...

2xM3

Joined years ago #18736. Member of many chapters during my years of Active Duty, US Army. Met lots of good folks, had lots of good times, saved lots of money, whats not to like? Also the 10% is appreciated specifically when it comes to maintaing the 02 M Roadster.

Earl

Heart of Dixie Chapter

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell