• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 1600Ti with M6 S38!! Circa European Car 1993

RayC911

That was Joe Bill Dryden's car. Mr Dryden was an AF test pilot and while stationed in Germany in the late 60's/early 70's, he bought a German spec 1600 ti. He rotated back stateside and brought the 1600 back with him. Being a typical fighter pilot, he wanted the 1600 to go faster. He eventually had Korman drop in a M6 S38 motor into the car which made this 1600 probably the fastest 1600/2002 in existance. I can't speak for its cornering ability. I heard it was change your underwear fast after a ride in the frankenstien 1600. After Dryden retired from the USAF, he became the chief test pilot for the Lockheed F-16 Division in Ft. Worth TX. Unfortuately Dryden was killed in May 1993 during a low level ejection from his F-16 on a test flight. The Roundel did an article on Dryden and his 1600 about the time of his death. I still have the Roundel at home. The estate posted the 1600 in the Roundel classifieds after his death and it sold.

What ever became of this 1600 since his death is a mystery. Does anyone know the whereabouts of Dryden's former 1600? Do a forum search on Joe Bill Dryden to learn more about this car.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

There is some information on F16.net re Joe Bill Dryden and about the car. Seems a guy by the name of Nigel Horbury worked at Korman during the car's construction and there is also a post by a guy named Danny Myers from March of this year who says he is "working on" the car.

I'm assuming that Danny Myers is the owner of Danny Myers Collision in Tulsa, OK.

Joe Bill Dryden was stationed at Vance AFB in Enid, Oklahoma at some time in his career.

The "F1600" is mentioned as being built by Korman and owned by Mr. Dryden on page 27 of "BMW M-Series and Performance Specials" by Jonathan Cohen.

D

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

What ever became of this 1600 since his death is a mystery. Does anyone know the whereabouts of Dryden's former 1600? Do a forum search on Joe Bill Dryden to learn more about this car.

G-Man

It was for sale in the October 2001 Roundel by Danny ? in SC.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

• 10 months later...
  • 9 years later...

For all the time that has passed, in 2021 I have still never heard anything about the whereabouts of this car.  Strangely enough, there are two other "real" tis that I was aware of back then that have also never showed up, whose VIN numbers I never got.