• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

clutch slave cylinder replacement

nbristow01

Ordered a new slave cylinder from Autohaus. Mine leaks pretty bad. I was reading some past threads and one guy stated that if you do not replace the master cylinder when you replace the slave the new slave will make the old mster leak???

Any truth in this? My master cylinder appears fine

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I can understand the thought. You are making one part of the system stronger, so it may show the weak points of the other part.

I replaced my clutch slave over a year ago, and I didn't replace the master. Car still works.

Just do the slave...

Ken

• Like 1

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

....it's the prudent thing(both) to do

pay me now, or pay me later

do it right the first time

02CLUTCHHYDPART1.jpg

02CLUTCHHYDPART2.jpg

and flush the brake system at the same time -

then every year there after

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

just replace the slave - if the worst happens and the master leaks, then replace it.

yes. replacing one won't have any effect on the other.

there is a little "while you are in there" savings. you will have the clutch hydraulics opened up anyway and if both slave and master are really old...may as well do the master too. but not a "must do".

2xM3

probably OK. If the M/C is decades old, it would be prudent to do both...

When you remove the old slave cyl, do yourself a favor for the next replacement: clean up the hole in the clutch housing that he slave cyl fits into, then lube the hole with some anti-seize compound. Otherwise the iron cylinder will bond itself very tightly to the aluminum clutch housing--unless you live in AZ or another very dry climate--and it might happen there too.

cheers

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My experience same as some other posters, replaced my slave only, master was and still is fine. I drive it hard and do 300 +mile trips weekly,with lots of LA traffic stop and go and no problems.

I don't give advice, what worked for me may not work for another, but, again, my motto which has worked for me is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Ceylon-squarie

• 9 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I am trying to install a new Clutch Slave Cylinder.  I am unable to do it because it doesn't fit.  I am currently in 'neutral'.  How do I get this thing (circled) to move further to the back of the car so I can insert the Clutch Slave cylinder?

image.png.62b29d426562725fc029ca7f1ef4602b.png

1972, Polaris

Take off the clip securing the rubber bellows and the circlip on the body, pull the rubber down off the body....insert the cylinder into the mounting hole from the engine side, fit circlip and re-fit rubber bellows.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

21 minutes ago, JC Orosa said:

Are you talking about #1 when you said rubber bellows?   When you say "pull the rubber down off the body', do I remove the whole A section?

Yes...remove the wire clip from the rubber and peel it back off the slave cylinder.

Then....remove the large, flat circlip from the cylinder and push the whole assembly forward...out the aluminum clutch housing hole.

No need to remove the whole A section. This is retained by another circlip on the inside of the cylinder.

As noted above, the cylinder may be stuck in the clutch housing due to corrosion. Use penetrating oil and a "persuader"...carefully. 

As the others have said - remove the slave cylinder boot and insert the new cylinder from the engine side.  As you can see in the drawing the cylinder has straight sides and no shoulder so the boot is the only thing preventing pass through. 

Also note CD’s comment at the bottom of the drawing.  Good luck.

0CE7B707-C4C7-4687-A41E-0516D57DBAE3.jpeg

Edited by tme
verbage

• 1 year later...

I'm going end up bumping all of the topics on this site as I find issues with my new '02!

I now have a new slave, old slave is out. To fit new slave, I have to have the push rod engaged, but I can't seem to get the slave far enough through the housing to get the clip in it's grove. Without the push rod I can get it in no problem, I believe it to be the tension of the spring inside the slave, as there is no fluid yet.

My idea is to get some form of clamp I can get in there to be able to put on the back of the slave and the other side of the housing to push it through.

Someone help please!