• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

im really fed up

BLUNT

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that's next thing to check. If you have oil up in the head you're safe to start the engine and see if the gauge wakes up and the idiot light goes off. It should not take more than seconds after engine is running.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Just a thought but maybe the gauge took a dump also during this whole pressure issue, stick with the mechanical psi gauge untill you get it figured out.

hope all goes well.

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

the cooler and filter, you obviously pegged the gauge...you may have ruined the sender.

I dismantled a non-functioning sender unit once upon a time to see how it works: there's a thin copper disk inside the gauge's sender unit. The disk presses against a rheostat-type contact, and as it deforms from pressurized oil pressing against it from the oil gallery, it varies the voltage (or resistance, I forget which) to cause the gauge to move.

If the disk ruptures, oil gets inside the electrical portion of the sender and keeps it from working. Hopefully that's the problem; I can't imagine a new Motorsport-unique oil pump not working out of the box...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Well, if you have oil at the filter, take the sender off and crank 'till it

comes out the top.

Then get a new gauge!

Like you, I won't start a motor until I see 40 psi from the starter.

Paranoia, perhaps, but there it is.

Which is how I pressurise it on the stand-

bolt the flywheel up, bolt on a starter, and have at it.

With no plugs in it, of course...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Hey Steve,

I'm sure you had a check list and made sure everything was in place, so I won't bother you with those things.

So as long as everything that has been listed before has checked out. Pull the valve cover out, and pull plugs, not just a coil wire. This is so the engine will turn over easier with the starter and you won't burn it out. Check for oil in the head. If oil is bing pumped and is draining back to the pan. Then you should be good to go.

I'm sure it's the gauge at that point. I have broke a gauge before. Possiblly cause it was a 100psi gauge and not a 150psi. The short spike killed the sender, plus this motor puts out some serious psi.

Hang in there, and good luck. You will be rewarded.

Cheers

MOE

SIGSTUFF2.jpg

Proud Member #190 since 2003.

hey guys, thanks for all the support and advice. i got it fixed and ive put about 3 or 4 miles on it and all seems well. im taking it to a show tomorrow and would have really been disappointed if i missed it and V@V. i wish there were a way i could avoid telling you what was wrong but there isnt so i will just come out with and get it over with. i feel like a total tool. i have an amsoil remote oil filter set up and i had the in and out swapped on the oil filter head. this is very puzzling because its been like this since i put the car together. im amazed theres nothing wrong with my motor. i had a bmw filter on there for the first 650 miles. then i changed oil and used a longer amsoil filter. thats when the cooler blew. i didnt swap any lines or anything. so i have to assume the bmw filter allowed oil to flow backwards thru the filter and complete the circuit but the amsoil filter would not. pretty embarrassing but oh well. i pulled the subframe and swapped pumps for nothing. lesson learned... check the basics first and dont jump to conclusions. anyone want to buy an oil pump with 650 miles on it??

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

glad you got it figured out. Though I thought going back to the original filter was a good thing to do I still don't understand what the differences are between these filters.

So- was using the evo pump just a matter of switching out the bottom of the pickup for the 02 pickup screen? Or did you switch out the entire pickup from the 02. How involved was it?

Report back on how awesome your car is after a few more miles!!!!!

Guess I better not say anything about the time I replaced all of the cold start components on the tii -- and then noticed that 2 ends of the cold start harness were identical and not connected properly.

Or the time I went thru the entire motronics on the old M635 looking for the reason for a rich-running condition, including looking at the 6 position FQS in the ecu... and noticing it was all the way one way and assuming it was the right way (ccw or cw, I forget). It wasn't.

Or...

Glad you figured it out. How fast can you pull a subframe now?

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

glad you got it figured out. Though I thought going back to the original filter was a good thing to do I still don't understand what the differences are between these filters.

So- was using the evo pump just a matter of switching out the bottom of the pickup for the 02 pickup screen? Or did you switch out the entire pickup from the 02. How involved was it?

Report back on how awesome your car is after a few more miles!!!!!

you guys are pretty tame. i suspected id get a lot more crap. as far as using the evo pump with the m10 pan, yes, you pry the pick up screen off the m10 pick up. then remove the evom3 pickup screen and swap them. its really very simple. ben thongsai told me what to do at vintage. if you use the entire pick up from the 02 you lose 1 of the relief valves. and as one of you guys stated, the 02 pump body is exactly the same as the s14 body.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I told you to stop watching those gladiator movies. I want that oil pump. e-mail me.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti