• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 1600-2 on BAT Auction Site

As one looking closely at 3 different 1600-02's here in portugal, I am watching this one closely.  This is a re-sale on BAT, the present owner paid $20k for it.... let's see!

• Like 3

16oo's are cool.

As I am sure as most have noticed the market has softened (quite a bit).  I would be surprised to see it get to $20k.  A pretty decent Polaris Silver '74tii sold last week for $24k, one owner for 47 years.  It looked like a pretty good car really, so much so I bid on it up to about $23k.  Then I thought better of it and took the dog for a walk.  I still have quite a bit of work to do on the Alpina car, soooooo.  It is a buyer's market right now.

• Like 1

I love the old canister type oil filter with the replaceable element, especially now that spin on Mahle filters are made in China. They even feel like cheap shit now. Sigh. Cool car though!

Bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

An engine detail would have really served the seller well. The rest of the car is so clean. I'm especially impressed with the interior. The gray cloth looks original, which is incredible, and the original door panels are in amazing shape.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mccusername said:

The early cars don't even get the love here, much less out in the real world.

Huh? 

About the only thing I don't love about that car is the undercoating sprayed all over everything...

If it proved to be solid under that, that's a 1600 I wouldn't do anything to.

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 minute ago, TobyB said:

Huh? 

I was just trying to stir the pot, which seemed to work since there was no discussion about it before.

Agree on the undercoating. Being from Sweden it could OK in terms of rust but it's really hard to see the state of suspension etc and can you imagine working on it?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bpeckm said:

This is a re-sale on BAT

Here's a link to that sale, just for fun/comparison.

BRINGATRAILER.COM

Bid for the chance to own a Euro 1966 BMW 1600-2 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #37,171.

Smothering the underside with undercoating had already been done prior to the first auction. 

(my least-favorite sales-prep move).

I thought the same thing about detailing the engine bay.  It looks untouched between auctions, aside from a new fuel filter and battery.

It comes with extra fuses and a bulb.  :D 

1966_bmw_1600-2_1966_bmw_1600-2_da8ae6e7-962c-4886-b69d-2bb8a988db94-UEyaKx-63978-63979-scaled.jpg?fit=2048%2C1365

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

It comes with extra fuses and a bulb.  :D 

Yeah but most are the aluminum junk go copper or go home, or don't go home because the electrical system is on the fritz.🤔

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, Son of Marty said:

Yeah but most are the aluminum junk go copper or go home, or don't go home because the electrical system is on the fritz.🤔

I've seen and been around alot of those ceramic fuses, but have never "realized" that there were options as to the conductor.  Tanks!  Another lesson learned!

15 hours ago, mccusername said:

The early cars don't even get the love here, much less out in the real world.

Those of us who know, know.

😎

• Like 3

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

6 hours ago, bpeckm said:

I've seen and been around alot of those ceramic fuses, but have never "realized" that there were options as to the conductor.

Not only is there the copper/brass vs aluminum fusible link, but some of the "ceramic" fuse bodies are actually plastic...They melt when overheated, just before the fuse blows...

And...if you look at the manufacture date/original color/delivery info from BMW (one of the pictures in the BAT listing) it was manufactured on 27 October 1966, which--at least for the US--makes it a '67 model.  Remember that the factory goes by calendar year, but here in the US we go by model year:  1 Sep-31 Aug.

mike

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite