• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 1600-2 on BAT Auction Site

It's a cool car for sure.  Man, oh man.  The undercoating.  Jeez.  Maybe that is what you do in Sweden, kind of jenky.  I can't imagine how you could remove it without pretty much removing everything and then putting it on a rotisserie.  Of course that is if your plan was other than to get in and drive it until......nothing wrong with that plan really.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markmac said:

It's a cool car for sure.  Man, oh man.  The undercoating.  Jeez.  Maybe that is what you do in Sweden, kind of jenky.  I can't imagine how you could remove it without pretty much removing everything and then putting it on a rotisserie.  Of course that is if your plan was other than to get in and drive it until......nothing wrong with that plan really.

The same undercoating happened to mine.  There are still areas of thick black goo all over it.  Underneath,  in the engine compartment,  everywhere.  I am kind of thankful though,  having lived its entire life in upstate NY, I think it may have helped in slowing/preventing the decaying progress!

• Like 2

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Last week I had decided I was going to buy this one.  Since then, after contemplating a number of things, I decided no.  Sadly, in my old age I am becoming more retentive (not a good thing really) - the glopped-on undercoating on everything would bug the sh*t out of me - and would essentially at some point be a restoration project.  I have my hands full with one of those now.  It will be interesting to see where it ends up.  Something tells me >$20k.

Wow.  Just sold for $14,350, by the seller who had bought a year ago at over $21k.  Nice car, somebody got a good buy.

Sold BAT 1660-2.JPG

Edited by bpeckm
add pic
  • Sad 2

Soft, soft, soft, the market that is.  Its easy to see, check what has been sold recently on BaT, Amazon 74 tii made I think 22k, no sale, the silver 74tii last week, 24k, many, many more examples.  Good time to be a buyer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Flunder said:

I don't know anything about a dry ice treatment except that it is not a cheap process, but would that take the undercoat off?

Honestly, I don't know.  It appeared that goop was on a lot of things (engine oil pan, suspension, gas tank, you name it.  Easy to clean up and detail out the engine, but then you still have to pull it.  You (not me) could probably live with it that way   Given the gauntlet of things I have to work through on my race car, too many to-do on this one.  Still a cool car.

Underside was a big question mark. Lack of photos didn't help. Or wouldnt have helped. Might be a steal, or might need serious resto. Still, if it drives......

Have to wonder why he only went 500 miles and then offloaded.

For whatever reason, I was figuring someone used the 'goop' to help protect it (the European owner) vs hide a hot mess.  It very well could be a hot mess.  Putting that kind of material on the underside of a car I liken to patching your roof with 'Henry's'......Errr, aaaa, you don't do and it's a hell of a thing to clean up.

The owner didn't have it long and given what he paid vs what he sold it for pretty much ate it.  Hopefully he isn't counting on flipping to make a living.

My gut tells me it's a solid car and a bargain. It's not black paint that was recently applied. It's old goop to prevent rust in a country where they use old goop to prevent rust (and don't use salt). I think if the underside were a rusty disaster you'd see some showing up in the rockers etc.

Everyone grumped that 02 prices were too high. Well, here we are. Now nobody will buy because 'prices are falling'.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, mccusername said:

Everyone grumped that 02 prices were too high. Well, here we are. Now nobody will buy because 'prices are falling'.

So true on all points!

• Like 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

Posted (edited)

The seller lost about $10K at least since he purchased the car in 2020 for $21,500. And, that doesn't include the shipping from Europe, where the car was located, to Las Vegas. Some people have been really trying to capitalize on the high prices, but now things are coming down. And, the "Flippers" will move on to something else, which is a good thing in my opinion. Take your snake oil and move on out of this town. You're no longer welcome here.

Recently a clean "Retro Rod" 1600-2 bid on BAT to $32,500, but didn't meet reserve. The seller didn't know much about these cars while presenting it with the typical sales pitch; "Only the highest quality parts etc". And, then all hell broke loose when one of the responders confronted the seller, noting the chrome tape fix on the door panels and the use of a later E21 or E30 cast vs. original forged crank in the engine build. The builder chimed in, grudgingly acknowledging these observations, but also turned on the respondent even though the respondent thought the car was still worth $30K-$40K. Evidently the builder and seller were expecting to get well in excess of the highest bid for the car, which, in my opinion, didn't really meet the "Retro Rod" criteria all that well either.  

Some builders, mechanics and flippers were getting spoiled. So what now ? They may move onto the 3.0 Coupe market where partially restored cars are fetching in excess of $100K. It's a no-brainer as the prices of parts for coupes and 02s are about equal. And, maybe this is for the better, as the 3.0 coupes  always attracted the higher income earners and Hollywood Patricians etc. But, please leave the 2.0 coupes alone so some of us poorer folks can tinker with a coupe of our own.

And, a slump in the prices may attract more people here, although things will never be the same as they were 20 - 30 years ago when these cars cost almost nothing and parts and supply were abundant.

Edited by Zak
  • Like 4

It's good prices are falling. Go back and read FAQ from 10 years ago. The average guy was early in his career and wrenched on the weekends. Now, with higher prices the community is attracting older E9-type people. Nothing wrong with that (E9s are beautiful!), but it changes the gonzo vibe. 

• Like 5

engine small.jpg

4 hours ago, Georges said:

It's good prices are falling. Go back and read FAQ from 10 years ago. The average guy was early in his career and wrenched on the weekends. Now, with higher prices the community is attracting older E9-type people. Nothing wrong with that (E9s are beautiful!), but it changes the gonzo vibe. 

The number of users now with “Porsche” or “p car” in their username is concerning. 🤪 Kidding, of course. I appreciate them too, just jealous of their Porsche, especially if it’s an aircooled 911. 🙂

Edited by popovm