• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Different Pedal Assembly for 2002 EFI Conversion

13 hours ago, HobieDog said:

I hate to be the “well actually” guy, but the 323/328 were drive by cable.  325/330 went to electrothingy.  

fitting the cable assembly may actually be an option.  

heh- owning a 2000 E39 (same setup) the cable is the backup for a really goofy elektromekanik throttle.

But you're right, there's a cable off the pedal, and it goes to the throttle body.  What happens there... is best left unmentioned...

like the trombone section, if you don't look at it, it usually minds its own business.

As to fitting hanging pedals, the difficulty is that the 2002 dash is not structural.  I suspect, with the padding, that may be intentional

to allow it to collapse if you're thrown into it.  But there's not enough native structure to take the force of a panic stop footpedal.

And when you go looking for structural things to attach to, there's...

well, there's the left side inner fender, the right side inner fender, and not a lot else. 

This started out as a very light car indeed. 

Even the brake booster assembly contains its own forces- note the brace to the abovementioned stout inner fender.

And this carried through- much later models have significant pedal boxes added to transfer the loading,

and have a history of flexing and cracking.  

Me, I adapt the foot pedals, and use my ankles to drive.  I've come to like it, over the E30.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I have been using a bell crank arrangement with a bracket bolted to the brake booster mount.  The existing vertical throttle and end piece is connected to the bell crank and a S14 throttle cable to the other leg.  The bracket for the bell crank also includes the anchor point for the cable sheathing.

The bracket has an adjustable stop for the bell crank throw needed so the pedal and pedal shaft spring doesn't put slack in the cable.

The assembly is quite covered to get a good picture, but I have engineering drawings for the bracket.  It has no welding and is made from a strip of 2" wide 1/8 in steel and M6 bolts for assembly and mounting to the brake support.

It's worked since about 2010.

DBW is on the horizon, can remove the cruise control, the ECU can do it.

Edited by jimk
spell check
  • Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

1 hour ago, 2002isGuy said:

Can you post a pic?

Barry

As  I posted, not much access for a picture, but here is what I have along with the design drawing, elevation view is lkg towards the booster.  Top view is partial.  Dwg was also meant to show the strokes with two different length bell cranks.

1st photo in lower rt corner is top of pedal rod and part of bell crank.

2nd photo was taken to show how air box was clearanced to brake booster, the throttle crank assembly is where the blue cover on the throttle cable hook attaches to the bell crank

A cruise control box is in the way at present so more pictures would show less.

General Intake Side 03.jpg

Air Box Rub on Brake Booster Clearanced.JPG

S14 Throttle Cable Bracket Modified for S14.pdf

Edited by jimk
  • Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

If you want to try a hanging pedal for your accelerator pedal, perhaps a RHD owner can chime in with the setup used on a RHD 2002...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

22 hours ago, PhilC said:

My pedal is floor mounted?

My apologies--Not having ever thoroughly examined a RHD 2002, I thought all three pedals were hanging.  Thanks for my continuing education!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 2/29/2024 at 3:57 PM, AustrianVespaGuy said:

I did a whole article complete with links to all the parts to make a great bellcrank linkage that then pulls on whatever throttle cable you want. . .

I shamelessly borrowed from this article.  My setup was much (much) less sexy.  I opted for a solid linkage to the engine, which would flex a tiny bit, but mostly under WOT, so it wasn't an issue.   I went all fancy lately with the aforementioned cable and the feel is factory. 

I had two other cable assemblies purchased from known sellers that were rather bad for my application.  I just have zero time to mess about and experiment, so I bit the bullet and paid the $$.  All in it was $84 in Canadian Peameal bacon on a bun dollars. 

MMMMM peameal bacon. 

Heck ya brother.

image.png.31a056d8cced1bdbefb799c63df4c5d5.png

• Like 2

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

6 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

MMMMM peameal bacon. 

Code blue in the cardiac unit.

• Haha 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, Son of Marty said:

Code blue in the cardiac unit.

This time of year it even gets better.  If it isn't on your bucket list, it should be.   Nothing in the Canadian culture defines us quite like the experience of being sugared off. 

WWW.MTL.ORG

How did the sugar shack tradition start? How important is maple syrup in Québec? We answer these questions and

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

On my car, we ditched the mechanical linkage and ran a cable from the pedal-box arm (stock pedal) up to the throttle arm on my ITBs. Seems to work fine. I'm going to upgrade to the IE pedal kit at some point, but that's mainly for the aesthetics.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, d.hitchcock said:

On my car, we ditched the mechanical linkage and ran a cable from the pedal-box arm (stock pedal) up to the throttle arm on my ITBs. Seems to work fine. I'm going to upgrade to the IE pedal kit at some point, but that's mainly for the aesthetics.

The I.E pedal does make a difference as the plastic bushing is replaced by a bearing.  Plus it is shiny billet... so +5bhp at least. 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002