• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Different Pedal Assembly for 2002 EFI Conversion

Hey all,

Does anyone know of a pedal box from any other car, or a gas pedal that works well when doing an EFI conversion on a 2002? I did buy a Jegs gas pedal that comes with a gas pedal and cable (which a lot of old classic hot rod cars use with EFI), but I'm wondering if there's something else that looks more stock BMW...

Barry

1974 2002 - Fuel Injected, Bored, Balanced
Wide-Body Resto-Mod w/Lots of Goodies!

My sites - 2002BMW.com & HIDupgrades.com

BMW CCA - River City Bimmers

Well, you could go all electronical and use an E46 pedal- that's stock in every E46.

There isn't anything really that duplicates the stock setup, being floor- hinged and all.

Porsche and VW both used that method, but with a different execution.

Most people use the stock pedal and bent rod, and then modify it after it comes '

out of the stock box, and that works as well as anything.

I hate hanging pedals because working under dashes and in doors is crappy.

I dislike the pedal box because there's just not a lot of room down there.

Maybe I'll design something that hinges out of the console- but then,

where would all the air conditioning crap go?

heh

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks for your input Toby. It sounds like you may have some engineering skills... Initially I thought the best way was to use the stock firewall mounting points and use something like what others have done, pictured below.

But no one has engineered anything and is selling any of these to any of us doing EFI conversions. I am going to install an ITB setup soon on my rebuild. In the meantime, my engine sits without an intake while I try to figure something out. I still believe that the firewall mount idea using the stock 2002 setup with an additional lever of some type would be the simplest way to go if (someone with some engineering skills), could develop something.

Barry

02 Red Throttle Linkage1.jpg

Tom's Throttle Adapter.jpg

I've thought about trying to adapt the e30 pedal setup to a 2002, but it would require a lot of fabrication.

A few people have used tilton or Wilwood aftermarket pedal assemblies.

Most people just adapt the lever on the outside of pedalbox to use a cable. 

If going electronic throttle, this one looks interesting because it rests on the floor.  The 02 floor angles up about 50 degrees.

WWW.EBAY.COM

_gsrx_vers_856 (GS 7.0.20 (856)). -IF A ITEM HAS BEEN ALTERED OF ITS PHYSICAL AND FUNCTIONAL FORM IN ANY WAY, IT VOIDS TAE AUTHENTICITY.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

8 hours ago, TobyB said:

Well, you could go all electronical and use an E46 pedal- that's stock in every E46.

I hate to be the “well actually” guy, but the 323/328 were drive by cable.  325/330 went to electrothingy.  

fitting the cable assembly may actually be an option.  

image.png.75f60e8abeb9432de6275a1a008fab69.png

IMG_0143.jpeg

Isn’t this what happens with an M42 conversion? Mine is cable and the pedal is stock through the firewall (as far as I can tell) I then have cable from there to the throttle body. I’m sure someone will tell me if I’m mistaken. I’ll see if I can find a picture of mine.

Not very good but the car isn’t with me at the moment.

IMG_0447.thumb.jpeg.81f190b80b06ccd953d7718a200173f6.jpeg

Edited by PhilC

Phil

1975 1602 with an M42 engine.

Project thread http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14853#p107713

I use a stock pedal and stock lever.
Just some stuff from a motorcycle shop and a couple of standard parts and a little bracket is all you need. 
https://forum.bmw-02-club.de/index.php?topic=107835.0

This is how Alpina did it
20161009213624871.jpg

Reiner Ahrend is offering something too

https://www.ahrend-02-tuning.de/index.php/service/ersatzteile/14-vergaser/36-gasbedienung-komplett-fuer-doppelvergaser-bmw-1502-2002

Edited by uai
  • Like 1

Why do you feel you need to change the pedals.  Are you doing DBW? 

This one below is like butter, and I haven't even adjusted the piviot point to give it a better throw. I installed a I.E gas pedal just to finish things off. 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000CONKFQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

1 hour ago, Dudeland said:

Why do you feel you need to change the pedals.  Are you doing DBW? 

This one below is like butter, and I haven't even adjusted the piviot point to give it a better throw. I installed a I.E gas pedal just to finish things off. 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000CONKFQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

oops mine cost less than 10 Euros

• Haha 1

I used to have a hand brake cable out of trash bin (from Peugeot) - h/b cables lasts as long as the car as throttle cable :) Then went Tilton style b/box & E21 throttle cable.

M2 has S14 cable, a bracket welded to firewall & short rod from lever. Works too.

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

Thanks all for chiming in. I don't want to do DBW because that just adds more complexity. I suppose I just want the best stock looking, well functioning way to use the gas pedal that connects to a mount of some type that converts to a cable. I already have a great Lokar cable.

Anyone out there with some engineering skills that would like to contribute some time for all of us doing EFI conversions? Maybe we all need the firewall piece that converts the gas pedal push rod to cable...

Barry